Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setting up balls in same position after a missed shot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up balls in same position after a missed shot...

Hi,
    I often read about setting up balls in the same position, after having missed a shot, and trying the same shot again.
    Now I wonder how you manage to make sure the balls are exactly in the same position as before?

do you place 'markers', coins, add chalk marks, etc?

I am tempted to use chalk marks, but then again, the cloth would soon be completely spoilt will chalk marks all over...

cheers.

From my point of view, getting them in exactly the same position on the table doesn't really matter, the more important thing is setting them up on the same angle. So say it's a black off the spot, we know the black is in the right place and say it was a half ball shot you missed, it wouldn't matter if you set it up with the cue ball a foot or eighteen inches away as long as it's on that line, hope that makes some sort of sense .
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

If it is just a friendly game take some photos with your phone if it's a situation where someone's odds on to foul

Comment

as INE says above, placing approximately to get the angle will suffice in most cases
        A referee's ball marker has a small slot to allow a little marker with a soft graphite pencil to replace the marker to then replace the ball.

russian image hosting
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Sometimes you don’t realise your about to miss so marking the table wouldn’t work?

I’m new to playing in tournaments so took a while to get use to the miss rule… in the comps they just put it back as best you can remember then I just check the other player is happy with it. They also only seem to play the miss rule 3 times then it just counts as a normal foul after that? Seems fair enough… we’re not all Mark Selby’s

Comment

Wait are we talking in cross purposes here, some seem to think the OP is talking about a miss and replacing balls, I thought he was on about practice and if you miss a certain shot, resetting it and trying it again.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Wait are we talking in cross purposes here, some seem to think the OP is talking about a miss and replacing balls, I thought he was on about practice and if you miss a certain shot, resetting it and trying it again.
              You could be right. I assumed he/she was referring to a frame in a match and missing the shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                yip, i was talking about practising. I hear and read a lot about repeating missed shots, to learn the angles - but in practise that is sometimes complicated.
                a quick photo with the phone to take note of the balls might be a good idea though!

Comment

I’m with INE in that case, it’s not important to have it exactly the same as long as it’s the same type of shot and angle that’s good enough.

you will very rarely get exactly the same shot in snooker frames there will always be slight variations, so practicing the type of shot is more important than the “exact” shot.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Some people use those sticky, paper hole reinforcing donuts.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                      Some people use those sticky, paper hole reinforcing donuts.
                      Yeah ,I just use cheap white spots from Amazon ,pull on pull off ,or put the ball roughly where it it was .

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        A referee's ball marker has a small slot to allow a little marker with a soft graphite pencil to replace the marker to then replace the ball.

russian image hosting
                        Why refs can't use this to mark the cue ball position when a player is snookered is beyond me, would save so much time faffing about with the other ref with the monitor, to me, to you, left a bit, no right a bit I meant, that way, this way, oh that'll do .
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Gotta agree with the small white or colour dots you can get readily available online. When I was up in Scotland coaching with Chris Small, he uses these extensively to re-setup shots

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                            Gotta agree with the small white or colour dots you can get readily available online. When I was up in Scotland coaching with Chris Small, he uses these extensively to re-setup shots
                            He got the idea from me!! I bought a pack of coloured dots from ASDA and started using them. Next thing I know Chris is using them as well. Quite proud to have helped develop a method of coaching lol.
                            PS. I remember you having your lessons. We chatted about cues one time. I was on table 4 at the top of the stairs. Hope you’re doing well.
                            Last edited by Nifty50; 4 October 2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                              He got the idea from me!! I bought a pack of coloured dots from ASDA and started using them. Next thing I know Chris is using them as well. Quite proud to have helped develop a method of coaching lol.
                              PS. I remember you having your lessons. We chatted about cues one time. I was on table 4 at the top of the stairs. Hope you’re doing well.
                              haha i do remember very well. I also remember seeing one of his chinese students i think his name was "haibo" or something along those lines. I remember speaking about it to you and bigmeek about this.
                              been meaning to back up to Edinburgh at some point actually - Love having a laugh with Chris when I'm really meant to be taking it seriously

Comment

Working...
                              X