Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry: Since I found this forum, I have learned a lot about the right cue action (especialy from you)! Thanks for the online-coaching!
    More or less my cue action was OK but the smooth acceleration of the cue (after the last, slow backswing ) is not ok. So I started to focus on this part of the cue action, but since then, my potting started to fall off (and my overall game too).
    Should I leave this part? Get back to the routine I used to? Or can you suggest me some way to practise this?
    I hope I was understandable...
    The key is the mental approach!

Comment

• edem:

It is a mistake to concentrate on a slowly accelerating delivery. As long as your backswing is a reasonable length and you have a rear pause the correct acceleration on the delivery will be automatic.

If you really want to concentrate on your delivery speed I would suggest you shoot with your eyes closed and concentrate on what your right (grip ) hand is doing. Do this with an object ball on the pink spot and the cueball slightly off straight and about 2ft behind the pink with your hand on the table.

Try this shot or else place an object ball on the blue spot and cueball on the yellow or green spot and at the front pause when you are done feathering close your eyes and take the shot, concentrating on what the right hand is doing.

However, don't get overly concerned with having that 'perfect' accelerating delivery as it will come naturally, however you should be concentrating on accelerating THROUGH the cueball and bringing your grip hand all the way through to your chest, whether you drop your elbow or not.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Thanks Terry!
        The key is the mental approach!

Comment

• Potting the black ball! Yes, I know this sounds crazy but this is a problem I've had. When I'm just off straight either side of the black I can comfortably screw on and off the cushion to get on a red, back on the black, to compile a 30+ break.

However, if it comes to a more than a half ball black, either high or low on the black, it all goes tits up! Now I've potted reds from this position many a time, but when it comes to the black, I always seem to hit it to thick or thin, no consistency in where I miss it.

Do you feel this is because I'm trying to hard to achieve position on a red and that I'm taking my eye off the pot? As I said, when it's just off straight, I can screw back with ease to get on a red.

This had been bugging me as I was on a 47 break the other night, came a bit high on the black (only half ball) and felt straight away I was going to miss, no confidence in myself whatsoever, and surprise surprise, it was break over - I missed.
          :snooker:
          High break: 117
          2013 Midlands University Snooker Champion

Comment

• I have trouble potting balls using the rest and i also have problems with the white when its against the rail

can anyone help?

Comment

• Can somebody help with this - if the ball is over the green pocket just off straight and I want to slap it in and come off the cushion back down the table towards the black spot should I use top or bottom? I've noticed when I use a lot of top the spin will take effect after the cueball has come off the cushion and stop the white dead, only a few inches from the cushion! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Rob

Comment

• Originally Posted by rob_27685 View Post
                Can somebody help with this - if the ball is over the green pocket just off straight and I want to slap it in and come off the cushion back down the table towards the black spot should I use top or bottom? I've noticed when I use a lot of top the spin will take effect after the cueball has come off the cushion and stop the white dead, only a few inches from the cushion! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Rob
                For top spin, that's the banana shot mate. For bottom spin, you need a lot of power and hardwork to screw back the ball all the way from green ball pocket to black spot area.

Since potting is very easy in this case, try to use loads of side (left/right...depends where your CB angle prior the OB) with loads of power.

I might try using plain ball strike with full power to experiment this type of situation.

Cheers.
                My cueing sucks

Comment

• If topspin STOPS the cueball after its contact with the cushion (because the cue ball is rotating towards the cushion), use bottom. That will do the job.

Comment

• Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                    For top spin, that's the banana shot mate. For bottom spin, you need a lot of power and hardwork to screw back the ball all the way from green ball pocket to black spot area.

Since potting is very easy in this case, try to use loads of side (left/right...depends where your CB angle prior the OB) with loads of power.

I might try using plain ball strike with full power to experiment this type of situation.

Cheers.
                    ???

Just use bottom spin as Krypton says. You don't need loads of power if you are coming off the cushion immediately after hitting the green. The bottom won't have taken effect before the cueball has hit the cushion and will take effect after it has hit the cushion, bringing it back to the black area.

Comment

• Many thanks guys, this is what I suspected but wanted clarification! Cheers

Comment

• i have real trouble screwing back 2 or 3 feet on an routine, simple straight pot. my straight pots are usually fine but as soon as i am required to put backspin on it the chances of me making the pot and the getting the position are 100000 to 1. help please!
                        if yuo need me to explain a bit more about what i mean then let me know
                        thanks
                        JRobbins.
                        Been Playing Since: December 2009
                        Highest Break: 67
                        ALL HAIL THE THUNDER FROM DOWN UNDER.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
                          i have real trouble screwing back 2 or 3 feet on an routine, simple straight pot. my straight pots are usually fine but as soon as i am required to put backspin on it the chances of me making the pot and the getting the position are 100000 to 1. help please!
                          if yuo need me to explain a bit more about what i mean then let me know
                          thanks
                          1) Try screw back from 1 feet distance consistently. Then gradually increase the distance to 1.5ft, 2ft, 2.5ft etc etc...check where is your mistake; &

2) Avoid practicing using bad snooker balls+cloth. They are not helping at all.

Cheers.
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

• jrob:

It sounds to me like on deep screw shots you are not hitting the bottom of the cueball. A lot of players insist they are hitting the bottom but when you video them it turns out the tip is more into the middle of the cueball and up off the cloth by at least 2 tip widths.

This problem is normally caused by dropping your grip arm elbow prematurely, i.e. - before you actually hit the cueball. To correct it (in practice) lift the cue into your chest and keep it there throughout the backswing and delivery and be sure to keep your chin on the cue throughout the shot.

The correct position for DEEP screw is less than one tip width off the cloth, but a lot of players feel a little antsy about mis-cueing at this height.

Best thing to do (as has been stated here) is to start with a nice easy screw shot, like pink or brown on spot, and gradually increase the distance as you master the deep screw at the shorter distance. Work your way up slowly.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Terry, I remember on another thread you said that you'd been using that 360 training cue. Have you been able to get deep screw-shots working with it?

Comment

• Is this shot a matter of cue power?

On the black. Just off straight. 3/4-7/8 angle, going towards the top cushion.

With such a shot, all the pros can screw the ball back off the cushion as it were straight and en between black and pink spots or whever else they may. When I play such a shot, I never get such reaction, I get rather close to going in off and ultimately, I never get position.

So is this a shot that requires great cue power?

Comment

Working...
                                X