Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Roy heres a scenario i have trouble with...

You have a ball on the table, right? Following me so far? Ok...

Now i want to hit the ball into the pocket using the white... I seem to have trouble with that part of the game

Sorry forgot to add... i have this pointy stick with a piece of leather on the end... wonder what thats for
    Last edited by RGCirencester; 29 March 2009, 06:28 PM.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post

Now i want to hit the ball into the pocket using the white... I seem to have trouble with that part of the game

Sorry forgot to add... i have this pointy stick with a piece of leather on the end... wonder what thats for
      This is amazing!, I have the exact same problem, what are the chances
      New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post

Getting scenile and not very funny in your old age RGC...Not good mate.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
          What about splitting the reds via blue/pink.

How high should I be above the blue?
          Where do I hit the ball?
          Stunning/Screwing into the pack offer totally different results and I would encourage you to practice both. As a general rule of thumb however I would always advise, if your going inot the pack direct (ie not cushion first) to play this shot with screw as I find sometimes the white may "stick" in the pack if you stun it especially if its a flat pack. However try all types of scenarios in practice and see how you get on mate.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by lkomarci View Post
            Straight backspin, especially if there's not a big distance between the cueball and the object ball. I tend to think that if I drive the cue long way "through" the cueball it's going to hit my cue on her way back. Yes I know, I should retrieve the cue back sooner then, but I'm trying to pay attention to my technique. Making the strikethrough, keeping my body and the cue stationary until the object ball has reached it's pocket. So doing that I make the cueball jump or I don't hit the middle of the object ball.

Its a very common problem. The key is to address the cueball low and follow through just the same as with any screw shot. If you have to lift the cue up sooner than normal, so long as everything else in your terchnique is spot on, this shouldnt matter too much. Even the pros sometimes cant afford the luxury of staying down on the shot if the distance between the 2 balls is very short.

Comment

Hi Roy... HELLLLPPPPP!!!...
              into the pack on a 32-break... sketchy cannon off a gentle break-out... but on pink to yellow corner...
              distance cueball to pink 1".

Best red near blue so I hit with tops running through for, if I may say so myself... F*CKN AWESOME shape...

Problem is, my opponent jumps up, waves his hands in the air, when the pink goes IN!!! (of course he would) yelling "FOUL... FOUL... PUSH SHOT!".

This reminded me of the opposite of Alex's screw "PUSH" shot.

Q: Is it possible to execute that shot legally?

Thanks mate...

=o)

Noel

Comment

Noel you make me laugh. I would have to "see" the shot in question in order to make a fair review :P

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                  Its a very common problem. The key is to address the cueball low and follow through just the same as with any screw shot. If you have to lift the cue up sooner than normal, so long as everything else in your terchnique is spot on, this shouldnt matter too much. Even the pros sometimes cant afford the luxury of staying down on the shot if the distance between the 2 balls is very short.
                  K I finally got it today. I know everybody says keep the cue horizontally, but if the balls are at like 5 inches apart, and I want to play a gentle screw shot, the cueball would jump almost every time. So what...next thing I try was raising the cue butt just slightly, not exaggerating ofc, and it worked like a charm. I've also noticed that it generally works better if the cue isnt dead horizontal, I don't have to put in so much power into the shot to execute a screw shot. Although for any other type of basic shots I keep the cue as horizontal as possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                    Hi Roy... HELLLLPPPPP!!!...
                    into the pack on a 32-break... sketchy cannon off a gentle break-out... but on pink to yellow corner...
                    distance cueball to pink 1".

Best red near blue so I hit with tops running through for, if I may say so myself... F*CKN AWESOME shape...

Problem is, my opponent jumps up, waves his hands in the air, when the pink goes IN!!! (of course he would) yelling "FOUL... FOUL... PUSH SHOT!".

This reminded me of the opposite of Alex's screw "PUSH" shot.

Q: Is it possible to execute that shot legally?

Thanks mate...

=o)

Noel
                    if it's really that close, then probably if you raise the butt of the cue quite a bit, almost as if you were trying to execute a swerve shot. That way the cue goes a bit more towards the cloth instead of towards the object ball thus avoiding the push.

Comment

Roy...
                      Noel you make me laugh. I would have to "see" the shot in question in order to make a fair review :P

It looked/felt fair to me....

Ikomarci...
                      if it's really that close, then probably if you raise the butt of the cue quite a bit, almost as if you were trying to execute a swerve shot. That way the cue goes a bit more towards the cloth instead of towards the object ball thus avoiding the push.
                      I actually hit the cueball with a conscious upwards stroke... "topping" it to get the desired spin... cue wound up pointing a the lights above the table...

=o\

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by lkomarci View Post
                        K I finally got it today. I know everybody says keep the cue horizontally, but if the balls are at like 5 inches apart, and I want to play a gentle screw shot, the cueball would jump almost every time. So what...next thing I try was raising the cue butt just slightly, not exaggerating ofc, and it worked like a charm. I've also noticed that it generally works better if the cue isnt dead horizontal, I don't have to put in so much power into the shot to execute a screw shot. Although for any other type of basic shots I keep the cue as horizontal as possible.
                        I know what you mean but be careful when lifting the butt as this is when unintentional side is applied, damages can occur to the cloth and the easiest of shots can be missed.

Comment

Thanks for your reply RR. I have another one for you though after watching my DVDs of the 2007 WC.

Going into the pack from either green or yellow, how do you do that? I was reading an Eddie Charlton book a few months ago, and I can't remember what type of spin to put on the ball, but all I do remember is that he mentioned that you need cue power.

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
                            Thanks for your reply RR. I have another one for you though after watching my DVDs of the 2007 WC.

Going into the pack from either green or yellow, how do you do that? I was reading an Eddie Charlton book a few months ago, and I can't remember what type of spin to put on the ball, but all I do remember is that he mentioned that you need cue power.
                            If from the green you will need to apply plenty of right hand side or if from the yellow plenty of left hand side when coming off the side cushion. The best place to hit the cue ball is middle when applying right/left.

Comment

Roy I wonder if you can help me... I think I have a sighting problem at snooker, I have tried everything to correct it but I cant seem to break the habbit that I have had since a young boy.

http://notesfromtheslushpile.co.uk/u...yed-790907.jpg

Comment

Time to see if you can help me with my problem shot, I always miss the long blue into the bottom pocket playing it from the D or near abouts. I do practice it and the chance I pot it seems to be 50/50 but if anyone has any pointers I'd really appreachiate it as this shot always tends to come up when I need it.
                                -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Working...
                                X