Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also, screwing back on long pots. No matter how hard i try i cant screw an inch.

Comment

Originally Posted by Forman View Post
      Dead straight on the black cue ball about 8 inches off the side cushion trying to screw back off the cushion,
      i always either miss the pot or dont get into the cue ball enough and the white finishes on the cushion.
      i never feel very confident when using that bridge where the cue rests on the cushion and youre first finger sits over top of it.
      Laugh out loud Forman quite simply because I know exactly what you mean. If your like me (Which I hope for your sake your not ) When you play this shot youve got about 4/5 things in your mind..dont miss the pot..follow through..dont be too hard..too soft..etc..THEN...
      You miss the pot!!

Just like EVERY other shot dont take the pot for granted. Concentrate first and foremost on the pot. If you pot and dont get position you can run safe. If you miss and too you could lose the frame. Again practice a few like this in practice and maybe place a few reds near the pink and try coming off the side cushion and developing them.

The bottom line with this 1 Forman is MAKE THE POT.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
        also, screwing back on long pots. No matter how hard i try i cant screw an inch.
        Hey Matt. The deep screw is, IMO, one of the toughest to master. Your cueing needs to be inch perfect and your follow through, again IMO, 6-8 inches. All I can suggest is when your down on the shot and youve played it STAY DOWN. See where the tip of your cue is facing..is it left/right of the pocket? It must be BANG in the centre. (If a straight pot) Practice..practice..practice!!
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
          Learn to play these shots with "Running side" on the cueball as it will help the pocket accept the pot more.
          I agree Running side will throw the object ball towards the near jaw (or centre if you miss them to the far jaw as I am). I will try next time I practice.

But you often see the professionals punch these in plain ball.

I suppose the pros are better than us and therefore they can play the shot is one way of looking at it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
            I agree Running side will throw the object ball towards the near jaw (or centre if you miss them to the far jaw as I am). I will try next time I practice.

But you often see the professionals punch these in plain ball.

I suppose the pros are better than us and therefore they can play the shot is one way of looking at it.
            Indeed. I always find that "Running side" helps me in this type of shot. Punching, if you can master it, is good too just dont "Jab" at it.

Comment

Learn to play these shots with "Running side" on the cueball as it will help the pocket accept the pot more.
              is the theory behind this that the side on the cue ball transfers to the object ball and makes the ball enter the pocket more easily when hitting the far jaw?

im pretty skeptical about transfered side from cue ball to objectball to be honest.
              ive always thought that if youre not concerned with position then the easiest and most accurate way to pot any ball is to play the shot plain ball.
              New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Originally Posted by Forman View Post
                is the theory behind this that the side on the cue ball transfers to the object ball and makes the ball enter the pocket more easily when hitting the far jaw?

im pretty skeptical about transfered side from cue ball to objectball to be honest.
                ive always thought that if youre not concerned with position then the easiest and most accurate way to pot any ball is to play the shot plain ball.
                Your absolutely right. Im a firm believer that 50-75% of your shots should, if possible, be played plain ball. Just with this particular shot running side (really going "into" the object ball assists the pocket. Dont ask me why just does.

Comment

Another shot I sometimes struggle with is when I land high on a half ball black on its spot and smack it in with power and top spin to arc the white into the pack.

Sometimes I get so much arc onto the white that it misses the pack and I even remember once in practice playing this shot from the green spot side of the table and the white arched around the pack, between blue and pink and into the yellow pocket.

I suppose the key to this shot is just trying with different variations of top and side spin. I always play it with plain top.

Your thoughts please mr.Rocket.................may see you in Swindon soon

Comment

Another shot I sometimes struggle with is when I land high on a half ball black on its spot and smack it in with power and top spin to arc the white into the pack.

Sometimes I get so much arc onto the white that it misses the pack and I even remember once in practice playing this shot from the green spot side of the table and the white arched around the pack, between blue and pink and into the yellow pocket.

I suppose the key to this shot is just trying with different variations of top and side spin. I always play it with plain top.

Your thoughts please mr.Rocket.................may see you in Swindon soon
                    Indeed stun will see you in Swindon..will be great to meet you and indeed everyone else going.

If your playing this from the green side Id try playing it with middle opposed to top and also left hand side (Ie checkside) to guarantee ploughing into the reds) "Punching" it in too. Give this a go in practice and see how you get on.

Comment

Indeed stun will see you in Swindon..will be great to meet you and indeed everyone else going.

If your playing this from the green side Id try playing it with middle opposed to top and also left hand side (Ie checkside) to guarantee ploughing into the reds) "Punching" it in too. Give this a go in practice and see how you get on.
                      I'll try that. But the arc always comes with top spin from my experience.

We'll argue about it in Swindon over a frame or two

Comment

I'll try that. But the arc always comes with top spin from my experience.

We'll argue about it in Swindon over a frame or two
                        The "arc" is for show surely. If you simply want to smash into the pack stunning will help you so middle is advisable. Top works too obviously so try both in practice. Screwing into the pack can cause trouble though as it can stick to the reds.

Comment

The "arc" is for show surely. If you simply want to smash into the pack stunning will help you so middle is advisable. Top works too obviously so try both in practice. Screwing into the pack can cause trouble though as it can stick to the reds.
                          I don't think the arc is for show Roy. Ask Shaun Murphy what he thinks.

I usually play splitting the pack of the black in the following ways:

1. Finish low on the black and the pack of reds is tight together with a row of around 4-5 reds at the bottom. In this instance I would stun into the bottom row of reds because playing with back spin would see the white screw off the pack and end up near the black cushion.

2. Finish low on the black with the pack of reds quite loose and with a gap in. In this instance I would play a deep screw into the gap and see the white spin through the pack if played correctly.

3. Finish high on the black with an angle to arc into the reds. In this instance a great deal of power and top spin is needed to open the pack. therefore naturally the white will arc off the black cushion. therefore it is not for show.

you're a good lad but I don't agree with you on this mate. stun and left hand side would see the white miss the pack altogether and end up near the green or brown area.

best wishes

Comment

Yes all 3 examples you state are correct. However example 3 would not NECESSARILY see an arc off the black cushion but the white simply smashing into it. Dont think of the arc as a necessary "look" that the cue ball takes.

Oh and about agreeing with me its all good we can agree/disagree all ya like buddy!

Comment

What about splitting the reds via blue/pink.

How high should I be above the blue?
                              Where do I hit the ball?

Comment

Straight backspin, especially if there's not a big distance between the cueball and the object ball. I tend to think that if I drive the cue long way "through" the cueball it's going to hit my cue on her way back. Yes I know, I should retrieve the cue back sooner then, but I'm trying to pay attention to my technique. Making the strikethrough, keeping my body and the cue stationary until the object ball has reached it's pocket. So doing that I make the cueball jump or I don't hit the middle of the object ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X