X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek P
    replied
    Originally Posted by Rebound59 View Post
    This sounds great. I'll try to give it a go at my next practice session.
    Let me know how you get on, I bet it improves your game tremendously.
    Use this method with anything you are struggling with, practice your weaknesses until they become your strengths.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Rebound59 View Post
    When playing from off the cushion, there are some small adjustments to be made. The first, grip the cue a little further up, i.e. choke up about an extra 2 inches. Second, although it may not be strictly necessary or ideal, I lift the butt of the cue a very small amount above the horizontal. And third, I take a little extra time to make sure I'm striking center ball and following through correctly.
    Yeah, that are three adjustments I also made, but I still miss them. Hopefully I get better with more practice.
    Thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• inevermissblue
    replied
    Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
    How about shots where you have to cue from under the cushion - never been comfortable with these.
    HI Dantuck. Cushion shots are quite easy for me. I tilt my grip handle forward which applies downward pressure onto the cue. Allowing you to still cue the ball with the cue virtually parallel to the table. It locks the cue into position with ease. Give that a try!

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
    I'll cure your problem with cutting the black in too thin in 2 hours if you wanna put the work in do this.

Go down the club put the black on the spot, line up five reds like a line up high on the black but instead of potting these reds put the white in line with them about 1ft away so you have position to pot the black, start the reds line up at the first high angle your having problems cutting in and now put the white in line with that red, plain ball stun top or screw no side i want you to pot it 25 times. Get 25 pots then move up the line to the next red, get another 25 pots and so on.

This will cure your problem on any potting angle trust me i do this all the time, the reason I choose 25 pots is that is the lowest number of balls you need to sink to make a century break.

Work on this on both sides of the table i guarantee within 1-2 sessions of solo play you'll be 100% better with this shot let me know how you get on.
    This sounds great. I'll try to give it a go at my next practice session.

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    As I'm a pretty bad player there are many shots I've trouble with.
    But the most difficult shots for me are when the cueball is close to a cushion. Nearly always miss them.
    I'm no expert like some on here, but I have always been much better than average at playing with the rest and playing off the cushion. When playing from off the cushion, there are some small adjustments to be made. The first, grip the cue a little further up, i.e. choke up about an extra 2 inches. Second, although it may not be strictly necessary or ideal, I lift the butt of the cue a very small amount above the horizontal. And third, I take a little extra time to make sure I'm striking center ball and following through correctly. If anyone has anything to add to or criticize about the above, I welcome the additional input.

Leave a comment:

• Derek P
    replied
    I'll cure your problem with cutting the black in too thin in 2 hours if you wanna put the work in do this.

Go down the club put the black on the spot, line up five reds like a line up high on the black but instead of potting these reds put the white in line with them about 1ft away so you have position to pot the black, start the reds line up at the first high angle your having problems cutting in and now put the white in line with that red, plain ball stun top or screw no side i want you to pot it 25 times. Get 25 pots then move up the line to the next red, get another 25 pots and so on.

This will cure your problem on any potting angle trust me i do this all the time, the reason I choose 25 pots is that is the lowest number of balls you need to sink to make a century break.

Work on this on both sides of the table i guarantee within 1-2 sessions of solo play you'll be 100% better with this shot let me know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    You're sighting it wrong obviously. If you pot it with running side but miss it plain ball to the far jaw then the side is pushing in and you're hitting it thicker to pot it.

Try placing a ball next to the black, as if lining up an unmissable plant. Stand behind the cue ball and that's your plain ball potting angle. You clearly see it as thinner than it actually is.
    Thanks. Why do you suppose that is? I'm confident that 95+% of the time I miss a (reasonably makeable) pot, it's because I didn't stroke it properly, not because of bad aim. The exception that proves the rule is when I am shooting from the yellow side of the table. For some reason, I have issues with the green into its pocket and the black into the pocket on the green side. I miss far less on the other side. Barry Stark cautioned about developing a preference for one side of the table, but now that I have identified one, I'm having a devil of a time correcting it, even when focusing on it in practice. I can make one or 2 but then as soon as I relax and try to play with some fluidity I make the same mistake again.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    As I'm a pretty bad player there are many shots I've trouble with.
    But the most difficult shots for me are when the cueball is close to a cushion. Nearly always miss them.

Leave a comment:

• magicman
    replied
    You're sighting it wrong obviously. If you pot it with running side but miss it plain ball to the far jaw then the side is pushing in and you're hitting it thicker to pot it.

Try placing a ball next to the black, as if lining up an unmissable plant. Stand behind the cue ball and that's your plain ball potting angle. You clearly see it as thinner than it actually is.

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    jmo:

As you can see from the long and detailed response from nrage is the reason most coaches would recommend a beginning player just learning how to play should not use any side at all and also remember side spin is a consideration on any shot ONLY when the cueball will hit a cushion. It has virtually no effect (outside of aiming differently) on a straight pot where no cushion is involved.

Terry
    Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
    Wow can't believe my thread is still going strong 3 and a half years later!! Thanks to Terry for continuing the good work. How's everyone doing?
    Thanks for the great thread. I'm new here and still need to do an introduction post, but I joined for this thread.

My issue is when playing the black from the high side, pick the distance, on the yellow side of the table, I hit the far jaw of the corner pocket almost all the time. I know that when I play with bottom and running side, I have an easier time making it, but when just trying to stun off the cushion, even though I am aware I need to compensate, I still hit the jaw. Any advice other than "practice practice practice"?
    Last edited by Rebound59; 22 December 2017, 02:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    delete duplicate post
    Last edited by Rebound59; 22 December 2017, 02:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rebound59
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    jmo:

As you can see from the long and detailed response from nrage is the reason most coaches would recommend a beginning player just learning how to play should not use any side at all and also remember side spin is a consideration on any shot ONLY when the cueball will hit a cushion. It has virtually no effect (outside of aiming differently) on a straight pot where no cushion is involved.

Terry
    Again, for beginners, if I may. When needed, the extra movement off center you can get when striking the ball with tons of side can be helpful on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    I have no idea what shot you mean? link?

Leave a comment:

• inevermissblue
    replied
    Going to post a video later today, that I made following the 'judd trump pink with pace escapade'. Only this one uses three cushions and still gets on the black. Cueball iis in between pink and black.

Leave a comment:

• vmax4steve
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Every now again I struggle with simple pinks into the corners... Usually when I'm lazy with my stance

I know it happens... I know how to stop it and alas it occasionally creeps in
    That's what concentration is all about, sadly my concentration is about zero most of the time and only kicks in for about five minutes when it does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X