2 or 3 inch backswing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 or 3 inch backswing?

as some wit onxe wrote about "Bright Eyes", I've read the book, I've seen the film and now I've eaten the pie ...

back to snooker ... I've seen quite a few of the coaching videos but I seem to have suddenly realised something terribly important ...

don't draw the cue back 6 inches or so ... two or three inches will do fine ... bridge hand (knuckles) maybe 9 inches from the cue ball but just draw the cue back two or three inches ...

very, very accurate strike on the cue ball and you can generate huge amounts of spin ... far more than I could do with a longer draw-back ...

I think i know what you mean. This minimises deviation from straight line on backswing.

The action is a bit like Grame Dott?

Comment

Can you generate enough power with such a small backswing ??

Comment

Originally Posted by samad View Post
        yes u can....

Comment

Are you sure ? I'll try , but I never get much power from such a small backswing

Comment

Are you sure ? I'll try , but I never get much power from such a small backswing
            yep im sure. ive got a very short backswing and generate more than enough.

Comment

So short backswing and loong follow through, eh ?

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post

don't draw the cue back 6 inches or so ... two or three inches will do fine ... bridge hand (knuckles) maybe 9 inches from the cue ball but just draw the cue back two or three inches ...

very, very accurate strike on the cue ball and you can generate huge amounts of spin ... far more than I could do with a longer draw-back ...
                This may work for some people and not for others...depends on the individual but it does make good sense..
                "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

as a general rule, my follow through is always through to my chest more or less.

so yes u are correct. short back swing or long backswing my follow through is consistant.

also the speed of your follow through. i tend not to accelerate but have a set speed depending on the pace of the shot.

Comment

No. According to a coach i met, the amount of follow through should always equal the amount of backswing. Theres no way it would work otherwise, as you would not be able to follow through in a straight line.

He reckons you can get plenty of efortless power by just leaning into the shot.

Massive backswings and follow through increase inconsistency and unreliabilty.
                    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                      as some wit onxe wrote about "Bright Eyes", I've read the book, I've seen the film and now I've eaten the pie ...

back to snooker ... I've seen quite a few of the coaching videos but I seem to have suddenly realised something terribly important ...

In normal shot, distance between my bridge and cue ball is about 8 inches (when I do training, my coach will draw a circle, using a pencil, on the shaft, at about 8 inches from the tip). But in difficult position, it depends. All with nice smooth follow-through.
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

since I decided to try it early this week, I've only played UK 8ball pool ... but yes, I'm getting much better accuracy and a lot more spin and enough weight for a UK pool table with a slow cloth ...

the big test comes tomorrow evening when I'm playing snooker ... but I'm hopeful ...

Comment

So long as you cue straight through the white for the first 4mm it doesnt matter if your follow through is 4mm or 4 miles!

A shorter backswing is something that I have been experimenting with in my own game and it is an interesting topic for discussion. Whilst it minimises your chances of cueing across some people will find that they cant get used to this or generate a lot of power. As Thia-son says a shorter backswing doesnt mean that you wont be able to get through the white correctly does it? It works for me but the key is if you tamper with your backswing make sure that EVERY shot is the same ie Its no good having a 2 inch backswing for a simple shot but a 6 inch backswing for a 10 foot pot to a baulk pocket.
                          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

So , doesnt it matter if you are playing with screw and just follow through a little bit ?

Comment

I was once told (by an extremely competent player who'd had 15yrs or more of professional coaching) that the clue to good touch and accurate position in amongst the reds and around the black spot was to use a shorter backswing ... a couple of inches. He reckoned that it was wiser to lengthen the backswing (a little, not a la Terry Griffiths) on the longer more difficult pots. He cited Willie Thorne as a player who did this.
                              It's true that you certainly don't need a long backswing OR follow through to create tons of cue power .. most people that can't screw successfully don't have any trouble putting lots of topspin on the cueball, but they don't follow through far for that, do they? ... it all about the timing >> :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X