X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think Are The Most Important Technical Aspect(s) Within Snooker

Same as title .
    D.Westhead

Feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Unless he doesn't like sushi—then you also have to teach him to cook.

I'm sure there's a moral in that for you Daniel... just not sure what it is. Yet.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Have you found a coach yet?
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

i personally think posture is the most important aspect of anyones game

Comment

Originally Posted by gooseman909 View Post
          I would go for vision my self, a tually being able to "see" what shot you want to play first and foremost, then everything else like actually putting tht shot into practice comes second.... no point doing anything if you dont know what it actually is you want to do in the first place...

Comment

Daniel:

There are 4 vital technical aspects to improving at snooker. The 5th is of course, PRACTICE. I'm going to assume you have some kind of stable stance and a solid bridge.

Here are the 4 and if you do these 4 things all the time on every shot there is no doubt you (or anyone) will improve.

1. Stay absolutely still on the shot, no shoulder/head movement from the initial address position to the end of the delivery. Ensure your right shoulder socket stays in exactly the same place throughout the shot with no up/down movement.
            2. Slow and deliberate backswing. (Slow it down until you think it's TOO SLOW and then you will naturally adjust from there as you improve).
            3. LOOSE GRIP. As loose as you can make it so your mate can pull the cue easily out of your grip, but don't have an 'air gap' between the cue and the web between your thumb and forefinger.
            4. On the delivery ensure the grip hand HITS THE CHEST on every shot, even the slow ones where it just reaches the chest. DO NOT STOP THE GRIP HAND before it hits (or touches) your chest and that should be somewhere just to the right of your right nipple (if you're right handed of course).

Of course there are LOADS of other technique issues and in order to master those you will have to go regularly to a coach so he can see what you're doing, but with these 4 points above you will have the basics mastered and will continue to improve if you stick with them. They might seem like common sense but you would be surprised at how many players do not follow these 4 basic points.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
              Feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
              Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
              Unless he doesn't like sushi—then you also have to teach him to cook.

I'm sure there's a moral in that for you Daniel... just not sure what it is. Yet.

=o)

Noel
              I understand what the first 2 sentences mean :P. But I don't understand the what the 3rd sentence means .
              D.Westhead

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                Have you found a coach yet?
                No, not yet because I can't afford it for I have only just left school.
                D.Westhead

Comment

Originally Posted by gooseman909 View Post
                  Why do you think the posture is the most important technical aspect in snooker?
                  D.Westhead

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                    I would go for vision my self, a tually being able to "see" what shot you want to play first and foremost, then everything else like actually putting tht shot into practice comes second.... no point doing anything if you dont know what it actually is you want to do in the first place...
                    I agree that sighting is the most important technical aspect in snooker.
                    D.Westhead

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Daniel:

There are 4 vital technical aspects to improving at snooker. The 5th is of course, PRACTICE. I'm going to assume you have some kind of stable stance and a solid bridge.

Here are the 4 and if you do these 4 things all the time on every shot there is no doubt you (or anyone) will improve.

1. Stay absolutely still on the shot, no shoulder/head movement from the initial address position to the end of the delivery. Ensure your right shoulder socket stays in exactly the same place throughout the shot with no up/down movement.
                      2. Slow and deliberate backswing. (Slow it down until you think it's TOO SLOW and then you will naturally adjust from there as you improve).
                      3. LOOSE GRIP. As loose as you can make it so your mate can pull the cue easily out of your grip, but don't have an 'air gap' between the cue and the web between your thumb and forefinger.
                      4. On the delivery ensure the grip hand HITS THE CHEST on every shot, even the slow ones where it just reaches the chest. DO NOT STOP THE GRIP HAND before it hits (or touches) your chest and that should be somewhere just to the right of your right nipple (if you're right handed of course).

Of course there are LOADS of other technique issues and in order to master those you will have to go regularly to a coach so he can see what you're doing, but with these 4 points above you will have the basics mastered and will continue to improve if you stick with them. They might seem like common sense but you would be surprised at how many players do not follow these 4 basic points.

Terry
                      Thanks Terry :P.
                      D.Westhead

Comment

Daniel:

OK, I have a couple of points based on your responses.

First off, I guess you don't know what SUSHI is based on your reply to Noel, so I guess you've never been to a Japanese restaurant and tried the raw fish.

Secondly...when you say sighting is the most important you might be wrong. You should read the 'drop the elbow or peck' string on here where a player has proven to himself he can pot a reasonably difficult pot better with his eyes shut than with them open. This is from my drill where I have the player teach himself he will always select the right line of aim and can pot any ball with his eyes closed.

I can guarantee you 100% of players with reasonable eyesight will pick the correct line of aim every time with perhaps those narrow cut-back shots to a closed pocket and 99.9% of shots are missed (ignoring kicks that is) due to the player not delivering the cue straight just before and while it hits the cueball. If you take that reasoning a little further, then missed shots are always due to poor or at least inconsistent TECHNIQUE on the physical side, not on the aiming side.

If you try my 'closed eye' exercise (on the same string) then if you have any sort of reasonable technique you will end up potting the shot consistently with your eyes closed and most people find they pot more with eyes closed that with eyes open. Now the question is...why?...and I will be answering that one shortly as someone has actually tried the exercise and is finding out exactly what I did. It's a real weird phenomenon but it does happen to almost everyone.

Terry
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Now the question is...why?...and I will be answering that one shortly as someone has actually tried the exercise and is finding out exactly what I did. It's a real weird phenomenon but it does happen to almost everyone.

Terry
                          I would love to know the answer to this one as well Terry!!

I have also noticed this phenomenon myself, where the eyes pull the cue off line despite initially lining up correctly.

I am currently working to correct this with some limited success, so I await your answer impatiently...........

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...819#post415819

See here checkside
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                              Cheers mate, I did see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X