Line Of Aim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Of Aim

How do you find the correct line of aim?
    How do you sight the line of aim?
    How do you position yourself correctly standing behind the line of aim?
    How do you position your stance correctly according to the line of aim?

Note: I am right handed and slightly right eye dominant.
    D.Westhead

Originally Posted by Daniel Westhead 147 View Post
    Note: I am right handed and slightly right eye dominant.
    ... and that's not all.

=o\

Noel

Comment

i think you have to be shown that kind of stuff how to walk in to a shot properly how to line your self up and once you know you just know then i think its just down to practice making sure you repeat on ever shot so it becomes second nature. i was playing golf for quite a few years until i had some lessons its amazing the things i learnt about my stance and swing but once i was shown you then understand much like snooker you need to be shown properly in the 1st place so you dont pick up bad habits and then work on it until you just do it without thinking about it hope that makes sence.

Comment

look at where you want to hit the object ball. and make the white ball hit it. simple

Comment

You find the correct line of aim by standing behind the shot. Two steps back so you can place your right foot forwards then your left foot into your stance. You must stand behind the line of aim in one of two ways, either with your right foot on the line of aim and left foot a little to the side in a normal standing position (or feet a little closer than that) and slightly move your head to your right so it is actually over (on) the line of aim. Or you can stand normally with your head not tilted and have your feet on both sides of the line of aim with your feet not too wide apart (quite close they need to be) and then as you step down move your right foot across to the line of aim (in this case it would move slightly to the left. In both methods, as far as your stance is concerned, your right foot should be on the line of aim when down on the shot.

When down on the shot, you should not necessarily be sighting the line but more the shot itself. But a good rule is don't play the pot, play the line (which hopefully will make the pot).

If you are trying to find the line of aim when down on the shot, it's too late. There is too much to do when down on the shot you simply don't have time to try to find the line as well. And it's much easier to find it when standing up behind the shot.

If you try to make this a habit then it gives you a lot more mental space to concentrate on the actual shot, which is what the pros are doing.

Comment

Daniel:

Instead of asking all these really basic questions, why don't you do a bit of research yourself? After all, the members of this Forum are friendly and like to help a guy out now and then but holy god man...how do you sight a friggin' shot??????

It's so basic...as thaison22 says - look at the pocket, pick a spot on the object ball directly opposite the pocket and make the cueball hit that directly opposite spot.

Now I know you're going to ask, yeah, but how do I make the cueball hit that spot? The answer to this is 'deliver the cue straight'.

ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ASKED OVER AND OVER AGAIN AT THESNOOKERGYM.COM AND ALL HAVE BEEN ANSWERED BY EITHER NIC BARROW, BONGO OR MYSELF. If you join their Bronze site (it's absolutely FREE) you will have access to 2 x 1hr videos with both Nic Barrow and myself showing the 10 steps to approaching a shot, aiming, eye rhythm, feathering, backswing, delivery and all the rest. These can be found at 'www.theshookergym.com/terrydf1' and 'www.thesnookergym.com/terrydf2'. Will you please, please do a little work yourself and take a look at the hundreds of coaching videos on youtube, at the various sites, in your books or else save up some money and get a coach to help you

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Daniel:

Instead of asking all these really basic questions, why don't you do a bit of research yourself? After all, the members of this Forum are friendly and like to help a guy out now and then but holy god man...how do you sight a friggin' shot??????

It's so basic...as thaison22 says - look at the pocket, pick a spot on the object ball directly opposite the pocket and make the cueball hit that directly opposite spot.

Now I know you're going to ask, yeah, but how do I make the cueball hit that spot? The answer to this is 'deliver the cue straight'.

ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ASKED OVER AND OVER AGAIN AT THESNOOKERGYM.COM AND ALL HAVE BEEN ANSWERED BY EITHER NIC BARROW, BONGO OR MYSELF. If you join their Bronze site (it's absolutely FREE) you will have access to 2 x 1hr videos with both Nic Barrow and myself showing the 10 steps to approaching a shot, aiming, eye rhythm, feathering, backswing, delivery and all the rest. These can be found at 'www.theshookergym.com/terrydf1' and 'www.thesnookergym.com/terrydf2'. Will you please, please do a little work yourself and take a look at the hundreds of coaching videos on youtube, at the various sites, in your books or else save up some money and get a coach to help you

Terry
              well said terry. it is abit of a no brainer isnt it. daniel. i recommend nics 169 pages of routines. ive got it and dear me its fantastic. just look around and you will find your answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                Daniel:

Terry
                Thanks Terry [ SLAP! ] ( he ( we ) needed that ) !!!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Line of aim.

Hi Daniel,

With regard to the line of aim, I look between the white ball and object ball as I'm getting down on the shot. I step in line with the shot with my right foot and place my left foot down and slightly pointing inwards. I have done Wing Tsun in the past and feel the stance in that is very strong and stable, check it out. I don't have my feet pointing in too far because it hurts too much! Anyway, I find that doesn't give me any problems and alignment is fine 90% of the time. I place the cue in between my chin and use both eyes, something I have always done. I think I am left eye dominant. What I have found it when looking up to the object ball, wherever my eyes end up is where the call ball hits. It may sound a little strange but if you imagine the cue going through straight on the shot I finds it does. Hope you find something in there that helps!

Lee.

Comment

Originally Posted by LeeMills View Post
                    Hi Daniel,

With regard to the line of aim, I look between the white ball and object ball as I'm getting down on the shot. I step in line with the shot with my right foot and place my left foot down and slightly pointing inwards. I have done Wing Tsun in the past and feel the stance in that is very strong and stable, check it out. I don't have my feet pointing in too far because it hurts too much! Anyway, I find that doesn't give me any problems and alignment is fine 90% of the time. I place the cue in between my chin and use both eyes, something I have always done. I think I am left eye dominant. What I have found it when looking up to the object ball, wherever my eyes end up is where the call ball hits. It may sound a little strange but if you imagine the cue going through straight on the shot I finds it does. Hope you find something in there that helps!

Lee.
                    Thanks, I will give your method a try, except I will sight slightly under my right eye naturally .
                    D.Westhead

Comment

sighting /aglinment

from behind the shot decide what the contact point is on the object ball (eg: full ball contact , 3/4 ball , 1/2 ball . 1/4 or fine contact ) walk into the shot putting the instep of your right foot in line with the white , turn your body slightly with your feet together , now bend from the waist , set up your bridge and cueing arm behind the shot , then take a small or half step with your left foot to move your body away from the line of the shot ( actually you just want to get your body from interferring with the cue movement ) , when you bend from the waist bend down over the cue ( not so much forward as you are bring your chin down to the sighting plane on the cue) it is important once you have the cue on line with the shot not to move it . do that before you take that small step with your left foot . you are not there to make a stance , you are there to get the cue moving straight at the target area on the object threw the cue ball , your left foot should be in front of your right foot , how far is a matter of comfort for you , but not parraell ...later...Joe

Comment

what end of the sharp stick thing do i use.

Comment

joe.l:

Parallel with the feet is fine too, Steve Davis won his world championships with it although he's moved his left foot forward a bit and I think that's to cut down on the twist in his spine as he got a little older. Hendry is parallel now too, along with a bunch of other pros.

mick 142:

Use the end that DOESN'T have that little brass 'X' thingy on it

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by mick 142 View Post
                            what end of the sharp stick thing do i use.
                            sharp stick thing?! OH!! THAT'S what that's for! I always thought you moved the balls around by throwing those chalky type cubes that my club helpfully leaves around the tables!
                            Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Working...
                            X