Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still working on my aim routine

Good day,
    Hope you can help me here as you guys are really decent players. I had my previous question here answered thoroughly in another thread. I thank you all for your replies... but now, I think I need to clarify a few things.

Please tell me if I'm wrong but the correct routine in approaching a shot should be as follows:

1. standing behind the object ball, along the path towards the desired pocket, fix your eyes on the contact point (approximately 1" behind the object ball)

2. while keeping your eyes on that contact point start walking towards the cue ball and stop when you've intersected the centre of the cue ball and the contact point on which your eyes are fixed

3. place your bridge hand making sure not to make any inadvertent sideway movement that may throw your angle off

4. lower your trunk to the shot and start feathering

5. two-three pre-strokes, pause and final stroke with follow through.

Is this a description of a proper routine? If not what is the proper sequence of aiming?

Curiously, assuming that what I wrote above is correct, why would the dominant eye stuff really matter? By the time you're down and feathering you should be able to shoot with your eyes closed, no?

I'd say it sounds pretty good, although when you say contact point, I assume you mean the point to where to aim, not to where to make contact, right?

I mostly cut out step one on your list. I determine the "point of aim" (centre of ghost ball) by standing behind the cue ball and looking at the pocket and object ball a couple of times. Then when I am down on the shot, I mostly feel whether everything's fine or not regarding my aiming. And as I said on other posts, do not have too long a bridge!

Comment

hegeland,
      Yeah, I meant the contact point being the centre of the "ghostball" not a point on the object ball itself. However,

I do try visualize that point on the table nap itself (in order to avoid trying to imagine a point in space). Is that OK or is it a no, no?

Comment

That sounds about right to me. Most top players don't bother with step 1, but that's because knowing the point of contact (the potting angle) is second nature to them. Matthew Stevens is an exception, he often walks around the table to look in line with the object ball and pocket to find the point of contact. Most top players though do walk around the table a bit for a long pot to get a good idea of where the object ball actually is (from the other end of the table it's quite difficult to judge how far a ball is away from the far cushion, for example).

You'll probably find as you play more that you get a better success rate trusting your instinct from behind the white than you get from trying to keep your eyes fixed on a point on the cloth.

Also, I would say that for steps 1 and 2 you ought to be a few steps away from the table, that way you can see down the line better from a standing position. Once you're behind the white, stop and walk towards it up to the table. The last thing you do with your feet should be to walk into the shot as that makes sure everything's in line regardless of which direction you've walked around the table initially. Then, place your bridge hand and fall into the cueing position as in your step 3.

Apart from those points that drill looks impeccable.

As for the dominant eye bit, when you come around the table to get in line, you're actually getting the line of shot in line with your centre of vision (towards the dominant eye). Consequently, the cue should be under the centre of your vision when you're down on the shot, otherwise it wouldn't be aligned with your original sighting when standing.

Closing your eyes on the shot is theoretically fine in terms of getting the pot. As you correctly note it's where you've got down to the table that defines the line. The pot's not everything though, and if your eyes are closed at the time of your stroke you'll find it very difficult to judge the pace and spin of the shot, most of that, at least the fine tuning of it, is done instinctively at the last second. With your eyes open, if your cue isnt under your eye correctly you'll find it subconsciously tempting to 'correct' the line during your final stroke, thereby cueing across the ball.

Comment

Robert,
          I used to aim "on instinct" but it felt like I wasn't making much progress so I wanted to eliminate any and all "unknowns from a shot". This is why I went to the "ghostball"/"point on the nap" routine. I have to say it's been a mixed bag. Should I revert back to my aim by "instinct" or stick with this drill even if it feels redundant on easy shots?

Secondly, with thin cuts I find my "instinct" is less than reliable so trying to fix my eyes on the "ghost ball" sounds like an idea for getting more consistency there.

Finally, I take that any sideways adjustements of the bridge hand while in the final stance is a big no no, right?

Comment

Originally Posted by canuck
            Robert,
            I used to aim "on instinct" but it felt like I wasn't making much progress so I wanted to eliminate any and all "unknowns from a shot". This is why I went to the "ghostball"/"point on the nap" routine. I have to say it's been a mixed bag. Should I revert back to my aim by "instinct" or stick with this drill even if it feels redundant on easy shots?
            Ultimately to play snooker you have to let instinct come into it. Darts and golf are the same. Good technique is about setting yourself up in a position to allow your instinct to take over.

The margins of error involved compared to the multitude of complex maths and physics that get in the way are bewildering. The subconscious mind has an amazing knack for getting the calculations right in a fraction of a second, whereas the scientific mind would take half an hour and a PhD. You can't play without letting that subconscious take over. See Alex Higgins for a demonstration of how it's possible to play with damn near no regard for technique at all.

To answer your question though, I think it's good to persist with the mechanical approach you have now. It's bound to feel awkward at first, and indeed be detrimental to your game, because you're putting so much effort into technique you're not allowing that subconscious to do its bit. In time though the routine will become natural and once you stop needing to think about it step by step you'll be a much better player for it. More consistent and more confident if nothing else.

Specifically regarding the ghost ball technique, I say go through the motions and use it even if you feel you're playing well and don't really need it. For the times when you don't feel to be playing as well and it isn't coming naturally, having a solid technique is a really useful thing to fall back on. Using the technique when you're playing well anyway will build your confidence in it and that's as important as the technique itself. Conversely, if you go into Alex mode as soon as you feel to be hitting the ball well, the only memories you'll have of using a solid technique will be negative ones when you've been playing poorly.

Secondly, with thin cuts I find my "instinct" is less than reliable so trying to fix my eyes on the "ghost ball" sounds like an idea for getting more consistency there.
            I don't know what a professional coach would tell you, but I agree with your observation that cuts are the best use of the ghost ball technique.

Finally, I take that any sideways adjustements of the bridge hand while in the final stance is a big no no, right?
            Definitely, for a number of reasons. It stops the components of stance, cue arm and bridge working together to produce a straight cue action. Secondly, when you're down on the shot you simply can't see the balls as well as when you're standing. Thirdly, it's mentally distracting to be thinking about your alignment, wondering whether you've adjusted correctly, and being concerned about missing.

Lastly, you can have the technique of a pro, probably a better technique than a few of them, but still not be able to get a break over 40. Don't try to force it my meddling with your technical game, just keep knocking balls into pockets and it'll come. Might sound like a worn phrase but there's no substitute for practise. Once you've developed a solid drill, stick to it and the more mysterious part of the game, the mental side, will sort itself out.

Comment

Thanks Robert, i found this information very useful!
              I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

Very good comments from Robert. Thanks!

I would like to add few things.

I feel that it is really important to stand directly behind the line of the shot and visualize the shot beforehand. When you go down to your stance to play the shot you shouldn't need to move your body if you need to move it step back and start your shot routine again because when you go down to your stance you aiming should be done already.

Another good thing to remember is that make sure your cue is in line with the shot before you go down to play the shot.

You all probably no this stuff but it is always good to remind ourself

Comment

Originally Posted by Juza
                  When you go down to your stance to play the shot you shouldn't need to move your body if you need to move it step back and start your shot routine again because when you go down to your stance you aiming should be done already.
                  Definitely agree here, that's one of the golden rules. If you don't feel comfortable on a shot, get up and start again. Even if no adjustment is actually needed, it's important to have no doubt in your mind that you're in the right place.

Comment

About the dominant eye. When you have aimed and are down into the shot on the table. Shut your left eye and check wether you are still aiming where you had originally aimed. Repeat this by shutting your right eye and checking.

When the aim after shutting each of your eyes and the aim when you had aimed with both your eyes opened are the same is your dominant eye. Get it? Sounds confusing?
                    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Working...
                    X