Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cueing straight ammendments

Hello

I was hoping someone could clarify some questions I have about straight cueing.

The one thing I've tried to do is try make my arm straight as it's usually sticking out to the right. I can't seem to do this but at the same time I know that not all professionals have a straight arm and still have the ability to cue straight.

How does this happen?

Why is it so difficult to have a straight arm? I would have thought a coach could show a player how to get in the right position quite easily, but I'm not sure how it works.

So, considering I have an arm that slightly sticks out, how do I go about cueing straight? What is the process?

I know there's a cueing exercise down the spots with balls either side as you hit the white through the middle, I'm sure it helps but isn't this more of a technical problem that needs addressing?

Thanks Joe

Originally Posted by Joe_7 View Post
    Hello

I was hoping someone could clarify some questions I have about straight cueing.

The one thing I've tried to do is try make my arm straight as it's usually sticking out to the right. I can't seem to do this but at the same time I know that not all professionals have a straight arm and still have the ability to cue straight.

How does this happen?
    Practice, and timing. Just watch Jamie Cope in the masters, especially when they give you a front on view of his action. I have seen a number of shots where his cue tip goes first one way (left) then back again (right) .. yet he still strikes the ball in the center consistently. No-one would recommend an action like Jamie's but it obviously works for him.

Originally Posted by Joe_7 View Post
    Why is it so difficult to have a straight arm? I would have thought a coach could show a player how to get in the right position quite easily, but I'm not sure how it works.

So, considering I have an arm that slightly sticks out, how do I go about cueing straight? What is the process?

I know there's a cueing exercise down the spots with balls either side as you hit the white through the middle, I'm sure it helps but isn't this more of a technical problem that needs addressing?
    Everyone is different, and everyone holds the cue in a slightly different way. When you say your arm is out to the right, do you mean your right elbow is out to the right? Outside the line of aim and the cue?

As long as you are comfortable like that, and there is no unwanted pressure in the arm, elbow, or shoulder, then you should be able to cue straight like that. The key is the unwanted pressure, which causes the cue to move offline. Which is why, if you're comfortable, and relaxed in that position, there should be no unwanted pressure and you should cue straight.

Another key point is how you brace the cue against your chin and chest, this will make your action feel more solid, and will counter unwanted movement in at least 1 direction, which is a benefit. You can fall into the trap of cueing around your chest however, try to avoid that by consciously hitting your chest with your grip hand on every shot. Another trap is using the chest contact point as a pivot, and pushing the grip hand toward the body, moving the tip out. All of these are caused by that same unwanted pressure in either direction.

The 360 training cue is apparently an excellent tool to measure the unwanted pressures, as it will bend if you apply any. I am seriously considering getting one myself, but it is expensive.

A cheaper alternative is to line up straight pots, first blue to the side with the white at increasing distances. Your aim is to pot both blue and white, so you play each shot with top. Then when you're comfortable that you can pot 7/10 of these, move on to potting long straight blues. Once you can manage 7/10 of these you can be sure you have a good straight cue action.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Joe_7:

nrage has given you some good tips and if you can afford it the 360 training cue is definitely the way to go.

However, to answer your question. It's not vital to have the elbow directly over the cue and a lot of professionals have it either hanging in towards their back (Hendry, Higgins) and others have it outside the cue (Williams, Cope and a host of others). Everyone's physique is different and some people can line the elbow up perfectly and some can't (like myself as my elbow hangs outside the cue about 1" or so).

The real problem is there are around 15 different requirements which have to be met before a player can deliver a cue consistently straight and elbow alignment is NOT one of them.

The most important points are:
      1. No upper body movement from bridge hand on the table to end of delivery.
      2. Loose grip (loose enough so the cue slides easily within the grip)
      3. Slow backswing (slow enough so you can keep it absolutely straight and under control)
      4. Left shoulder against left cheek
      5. Right shoulder up and into the middle of the back as much as possible without introducing discomfort.
      6. Front pause just before final backswing.
      7. Rear pause at end of backswing
      8. Smooth acceleration on delivery, starting slower and building speed
      9. Drive grip hand into the chest on EVERY shot
      10. Leave the cue extended at the end of the delivery and observe the object ball path WITHOUT MOVING THE HEAD (just use the eyes). This will give your brain the proper feedback food it requires.
      11. Only feather two times, maximum 3.

Most common problem for a player not delivering a cue straight is head/shoulder movement. This can occur when feathering and the player will make unconcious micro-adjustments.

Second most common reason - grip too tight

Third most common reason - backswing crooked and too fast

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Top tips! Thanks Terry

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Joe_7:

nrage has given you some good tips and if you can afford it the 360 training cue is definitely the way to go.

However, to answer your question. It's not vital to have the elbow directly over the cue and a lot of professionals have it either hanging in towards their back (Hendry, Higgins) and others have it outside the cue (Williams, Cope and a host of others). Everyone's physique is different and some people can line the elbow up perfectly and some can't (like myself as my elbow hangs outside the cue about 1" or so).

The real problem is there are around 15 different requirements which have to be met before a player can deliver a cue consistently straight and elbow alignment is NOT one of them.

3. Slow backswing (slow enough so you can keep it absolutely straight and under control)
        5. Right shoulder up and into the middle of the back as much as possible without introducing discomfort.
        10. Leave the cue extended at the end of the delivery and observe the object ball path WITHOUT MOVING THE HEAD (just use the eyes). This will give your brain the proper feedback food it requires.

Most common problem for a player not delivering a cue straight is head/shoulder movement. This can occur when feathering and the player will make unconcious micro-adjustments.

Terry

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys, really appreciate them. I'll take on board what you've said.

Terry, if I move my right shoulder into the middle of my back as much as possible will that not cause my right elbow to stick out right to the left? (EDIT: I just got home and have been playing around with it whilst looking in the mirror, I can obviously adjust my shoulder so my elbow is directly behind my head, so is this down to a case of finding that position in the mirror and getting a feel for where it is so when I goto the table I can do it without looking?)

Also you say pause at the end of the backswing, the guy who does snooker pro tips (Neil Selman) says if you don't already have one in your game it can cause big problems?

Finally, is there any chance by having my left shoulder against my cheek it could cause my upper body to go offline?

Thanks again

Joe
          Last edited by Joe_7; 14 January 2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Terry

Please can you just clarify point 4 (left cheek against left shoulder) I don't
            remember you mentioning this point specifically in recent posts about
            delivering the cue straight. How important is this depending on build/physique etc
            Can you explain this a bit more and the benifits..........cheers

Comment

i will try all your tips terry
              thanks!
              Last edited by ccfook2123; 15 January 2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by acidash View Post
                Top tips! Thanks Terry
                i second that!

Comment

Great advice Terry, quick question...

When cueing I try to keep everything as compact and still as possible but regularly catch my grip hand on my ribs / lower torso rather than driving through onto my chest. Is this an indication that I'm not standing square enough to the shot?

Any advice is appreciated.

David

Comment

Originally Posted by joshuanwardle View Post
                    Great advice Terry, quick question...

When cueing I try to keep everything as compact and still as possible but regularly catch my grip hand on my ribs / lower torso rather than driving through onto my chest. Is this an indication that I'm not standing square enough to the shot?

Any advice is appreciated.

David
                    I just returned to snooker after a 2 year break and was doing the same thing. I think you will find that you are hitting your hip/side with the cue because the aiming line is inside your right foot (if right handed). If you address the shot with your right foot pointing down the line of the shot (line cue ball is aimed) you will have more room to deliver your cue.

So right foot points down the aiming line and the room should happen naturally.

Hope this helps.

Comment

hi terry, on your point of left shoulder against left cheek, do you mean that the top of the shoulder should rest against the cheek, as i have a definite gap between mine, should i try and correct this through straightening my bridge arm slightly?

Comment

Manu:

It doesn't have to be absolutely tight against the cheek as that might introduce some tension but it should be right up to the cheek.

Yes, I would suggest you straighten your bridge arm a bit and also push your left armpit/shoulder down as much as you comfortably can as this will have the effect of raising the right shoulder socket and keeping it stable in space

GEO147:

I believe it's an indication that you're not swinging your hips far enough to the left, which is the correct way to get the lower torso out of the line of the shot

Terry
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Greatest tips ever I will not go practice...:snooker:

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Joe_7:

Terry

Comment

sorry is now go......

Comment

jeez Browning, you had me worried a little over that typo as I thought it was a pretty good guide to straight cueing

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X