Using Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Video

Does anyone find videoing yourself playing helps understand what's happening with cue action and the way you play? When I used to play a lot (had my own full-size table) I tried video and found I was playing almost like I was rushing every shot and walking around the table very quickly. It was a real eye opener - had no idea.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I'd seen a video of myself playing.
    I'd always felt that my cueing was a bit awkward and I never felt 'right' when down on shots, and this in turn was getting inside my head for a time, making focus more on my cueing and not concentrating on actually playing the shot.

Highly recommend it.

Comment

Did it help

Did you find that it helped your game in terms of playing better?

Comment

Tbh im having the opposite effect. If I'm cueing really nicely and potting everything in sight I'll stick the camera on and it doesn't look nice at all to me feathers look jerky, dont like the look of my stance or grip and I lose confidence in myself.

Comment

Using a camera and getting videos of the right kind of shots is priceless. As a coach I use a video camera and analysis software plus slow-motion or even stop-motion (watching frame by frame every 30th of a second or so).

Sometimes, when coaching things happen too fast to analyse correctly but with the camera I can slow that right down and really get a good picture.

I have been using it with myself for a little while and I have to say it really pointed me in the right direction although I'm having a very hard time delivering the cue absolutely straight and I haven't yet figured out the reason why I tend to drive the cue to the left just after I hit the cueball, but given enough time I will come up with the reason and hopefully correct it

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by View Post
            Did you find that it helped your game in terms of playing better?
            Definitely. Because it gave me one less thing to think (worry) about during the shot.

Even if it's just a mate filming you on a iPhone, you'll find out all sorts of things about your set up and cue action/delivery.

Comment

Working...
            X