Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting to the middle pocket and stroking straight

Hi,

There are two things which are really stopping me from progressing and really running a rack in 8 ball. I was wondering if anyone on here can provide me with tips on how to solve this, especially as I have an important match coming up.

1) Middle pockets? Just WHAT is the secret to this? In pool, the middle pocket is the hardest when coming from an angle because there is less of the pocket to use. Because of this, my logic is always to take a pot that goes to the middle pocket to the corner pocket where I have more of the pocket to see and play with. Of course this doesn't always work because of where the white will go in effect, and pockets/paths being blocked. Even when I play an angled pot to the middle with slow pace (what so many people think is the predominant reason in missing a pot or the ball rattling in the jaws), and with comfort spin, it still won't go! The ball will just come out from hitting the jaw, usually it won't rattle and sit there.

What is the technique here? Surely I am doing something wrong because I have even seen snooker players play angled pots to the middle pockets with a lot of pace, and get it in clearly! Amazing...

2) Stroking straight. For some strange reason beyond my imagination I cannot stroke anymore. I fear this is the main reason I miss long distance shots and other difficult or intricate shots. I've tried stroke exercises such as hitting the white down the table and seeing if it returns to the middle of the cue's tip, but this doesn't happen anymore. This must explain why I am missing a lot of medium-hard shots, including those shots with distance, which I used to be able to always pot.

Does your object ball always end up on the same wrong side of the middle when you pot it in the middle pocket? If so, just slightly adjust your shot and you should be fine. If not, then you need to learn how to play. ;-) (Like me!)
    "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Your problems have a simple answer! Its Wrong Cueing!

You are not cueing straight. Either your hand is shaking or you are just not cueing properly.

This was the same problem I had a year back. But now I am pretty good at this.

Try and find some of Reverse_Side's posts on Cueing and Stance. You will understand everything!
      Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Originally Posted by -Blade-

1) Middle pockets? Just WHAT is the secret to this? In pool, the middle pocket is the hardest when coming from an angle because there is less of the pocket to use. Because of this, my logic is always to take a pot that goes to the middle pocket to the corner pocket where I have more of the pocket to see and play with. Of course this doesn't always work because of where the white will go in effect, and pockets/paths being blocked. Even when I play an angled pot to the middle with slow pace (what so many people think is the predominant reason in missing a pot or the ball rattling in the jaws), and with comfort spin, it still won't go! The ball will just come out from hitting the jaw, usually it won't rattle and sit there.

What is the technique here? Surely I am doing something wrong because I have even seen snooker players play angled pots to the middle pockets with a lot of pace, and get it in clearly! Amazing...
        The "secret" to potting into [middle] pockets on non straight shots [or just off straight shots] is to aim for the far jaw drop, or somewhere between the far jaw drop and the centre of the pocket. (much the same as in corner pocket potting in snooker/8ball from a shallow angle)

The far jaw drop is where the knuckle furthest from the object ball meets the pocket.

See shot B on this page:- http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition2.html

Originally Posted by -BLADE-"

2) Stroking straight. For some strange reason beyond my imagination I cannot stroke anymore. I fear this is the main reason I miss long distance shots and other difficult or intricate shots. I've tried stroke exercises such as hitting the white down the table and seeing if it returns to the middle of the cue's tip, but this doesn't happen anymore. This must explain why I am missing a lot of medium-hard shots, including those shots with distance, which I used to be able to always pot.
        Your problems here could be making your misses in 1) happen more frequently.

some decent routines are here:- http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition.html

failing that, ask a good standard of player to watch your technigue to see if he or shecan spot something the think could be corrected. quite often this is the best way to find errors in your game.

Best of luck

Comment

The key to cueing straight is keeping your head down on the cue and keeping it steady, making sure you follow through with the cue after striking the cue ball.

I see a lot of people lift tehir heads as they take the shot. This can cause the cue arm to go through slightly sideways.
          Cheers
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X