Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Hi snooker chiefs,

I was just hoping that someone could help me in finding a good routine to make sure that I consistently get down to a shot with the same good stance. Could you please include all the pointers of what you feel add up to the perfect stance.

My cueing has been massively affected by the fact that I don't get he time to play as much as I would like anymore. I feel that I am not consistent with my stance and cueing action. therefore I would like a routine to follow to help with this.

Also, if I feel that my right eye is my dominant eye, should I be looking to sight my shots using my right eye over my cue or stick to using both??

And 1 more question is could you please answer the debate that I am currently having with my fellow players as to which ball (cue ball / object ball) you should belooking @ as you strike the cue ball.

Thank you very much for any assistance, be sure it will be practised strictly.

I don't think stance is quite as much of a fundamental as many people think. In a way, yes, a textbook stance is obviously going to be of benefit if you are all over the place. But if you find a consistent stance that seems to suit you, then I wouldn't bother with the textbook too much.

You only need to look at a few players on telly to see that they use a variety of stances and cue actions, some unique to one player. It can be more harmful to alter a stance with which you are comfortable, just to fit into the textbook.

Having said that, there will I'm sure be other replies to follow that totally disagree! Maybe I just say this in self-defence because I'm not someone with a textbook technique.

I guess I would say, all flippance aside, that if you feel you are improving steadily (not necessarily quickly but steadily), then don't change too much, but if you feel you're going stale and there's a next level which you feel you're capable of but you're not achieving, then maybe you should think about changing things a bit.

Anyone care to agree/disagree?

PS you should be looking at the cue-ball as your cue makes contact with it – something that can be very hard to do sometimes!

Comment

I agree at everything , except Looking at the cue ball. I think you should look at the cue ball only while you are aiming. After you aim make sure where you want to hit the cue ball then look at the point where you want the cueball to hit the Object Ball and then Shoot!!! Look at the Object ball.

Majority of the players look at the OB. Maybe you are not like them! Try both , see which one you find easy and follow that.
      Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Originally Posted by RaNeN
        I agree at everything , except Looking at the cue ball. I think you should look at the cue ball only while you are aiming. After you aim make sure where you want to hit the cue ball then look at the point where you want the cueball to hit the Object Ball and then Shoot!!! Look at the Object ball.

Majority of the players look at the OB. Maybe you are not like them! Try both , see which one you find easy and follow that.
        Sorry, that's what I meant to type! Look at the object ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
          PS you should be looking at the cue-ball as your cue makes contact with it – something that can be very hard to do sometimes!
          I think most people would disagree on you here Statman One should be looking at the object ball last, while you execute the stroke. There's one exception however, when the cue ball and object ball are fairly close together, one may look at the cue ball last.

Comment

I recall something called "the drill" from the Beeb forum some months ago. It was quite helpful. Maybe someone here got it on their computer and can post it here? It was quite helpful, but I don't have a digital version of it.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
              Sorry, that's what I meant to type! Look at the object ball.
              I was wondering how you made that mistake?
              I thought you looked at the cue ball when you strike! Thats damn difficult!

Cheers!

Comment

Here's another "drill" that might be worth reading:

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/intermedi.../the_drill.htm

Comment

I have the other one saved in my emails, however I can't access that from work! I'll post it when I get home.
                  You play a long slow deadweight red to a corner pocket. As it approaches the pocket, a kamikaze woodlouse crawls out from under the cushion and makes its way across the table, conflicting with the path of the red precisely at the point the red gets there. The red, needless to say, veers off course, and the future of the woodlouse is uncertain. - The Statman

Comment

I have that drill in my email too

The Drill

1) Stand back from the shot
                    2) Look at the shot
                    3) Decide what shot to play
                    4) Right foot in line with the shot
                    5) Walk into the shot, right foot first then left foot
                    6) Get down to the shot
                    7) Firm up the left hand side of the body
                    8) Solid bridge, gripping the cloth hard
                    9) Tip to the ball
                    10) Adjust back arm in line with shot
                    11) Look at the shot
                    12) Begin preliminary address (called feathers or waggles) and get the cue moving.
                    13) Search for the white, tip as close as possible during address
                    14) When ready pull the cue back
                    15) Eyes on the object ball
                    16) Push cue through and hit the chest
                    17) Stay down on the shot until completion
                    18) Do not bring cue back on completion of follow through (most important)

Additional Considerations

A positive mental attitude is vital if you are to develop and improve your play. It is very important that you play your shots confidently, with purpose.

Even if the balls are not going in then maintain your routine and follow the drill. Once this method is ingrained in your play you will find that you develop a level of consistency that is hard to fall below, as your stance, bridge and cueing is always of a certain standard.
                    ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Sorry, new and better (?) picture! This is how a good stance should be IMO. Note that angle X can vary from say 30-70 degrees, depending on your personal preference.

Someone more experienced here please correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness

Push cue through and hit the chest
                        This happens to me lots of times. I thought this was wrong. Glad I came to know that this is correct! Thanx April

Comment

Not sure if this is helpful, relevant, or important, and i've never seen it mentioned or discussed before, just something i've noticed.

Many pros on the telly swing the cue back and forth addressing the cue ball whilst they are getting down to the shot. I have noticed this trait particularly in the older generation of players like Alex Higgins. Maybe with today's players this trait is more noticable only in those players that are a bit slower and use many back and forth actions on the cue before playing the stroke.

I noticed with my own game that often i get down on the shot and only after i am down on the shot do i then start moving the cue. I sometimes find that moving the cue whilst getting down on the shot somehow helps get a better and more reliable cue action on the shot. Helping avoiding hitting across the white, or not cueing through straight ?

All this stuff does get depressing though. As of course when you are playing well you dont have to think about all this technical stuff, and it just somehow magically happens that the balls do what you want them to do without having to consciously analyse every aspect.
                          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Working...
                          X