The Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grip

I've been trying to change my grip style recently and its really improved my game but I'm a bit inconsistent with it. As I understand Hendry introduced the 'loose' grip which makes cuing smoother but how exactly does it work?
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

I am by no means an expert, but a loose grip, when it's correctly executed, generates more acceleration of the cue and therefore more spin/power/control of the cue ball. Like in badminton.

Comment

A lose grip also allows you push the cue through straighter because if you had a really tight grip the cue would deviate/rock off straight because your elbow is like a pivot.

Try it went you practice.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
        I am by no means an expert, but a loose grip, when it's correctly executed, generates more acceleration of the cue and therefore more spin/power/control of the cue ball. Like in badminton.
        Same here in regards to being no expert or high level player. But I have heard that some advanced players tighten up a loose grip at the point of contact and this is what the likes of Jimmy White do to get all the reaction on the cue ball.

However this technique is beyond myself at the moment, and it would just be distracting for me to have to concentrate on trying to do that as the same time as getting all the other aspects of the shot correct....

Sometimes being too conscious of all the technical processes can just hinder....I never seem to think about all that stuff when i am playing well, its only when things arent going as they might that all the technical analysis and self concsiousness starts...
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
          Sometimes being too conscious of all the technical processes can just hinder....I never seem to think about all that stuff when i am playing well, its only when things arent going as they might that all the technical analysis and self concsiousness starts...
          Spot on! I try hard not to focus on this stuff but just get on with potting balls and it helps! (most of the time)

It's important to have a good stance/grip/etc. but you cannot think about it all the time, you'll lose your "feeling" then.

Comment

These topics about grip and technique are good as you can try different things out and listen to others tips, but the most important thing is what suits you in the game.

eg. Jamie Cope very unusual grip and back arm
            Joe Swail the same
            Graham Dott looks like he snatches every shot
            Dave Harold has no cue action.

All four are very good player and top pro's.

Comment

Working...
            X