Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed

Hello,

Like other posts here I'm in need of some advice as well. I play to an average level, on a really good night will hopefully get a 30 break.

I have a couple of problems, firstly long-potting. I rarely get long pots. Probably about 1 in 15 - if I manage to rattle the jaws I'll consider that doing well.

Also I have the problem that on certain 'pressure' shots I will stay down cueing a shot - unable to play the shot. Sometimes this works and I'll make the shot - but it doesn't feel comfortable. This is something that has only happened to me recently. Obviously some shots need a lot more concentration, but on some occasions I am literally unable to play. I suppose this is a bit similar to 'dartitis'. Is the fear of missing the shot the problem. For example, I had a straight medium pink in practice today and was cueing at it for probably a good 30 seconds. Only managed to get it on the 3rd attempt.

If anyone has experienced anything similar and found a way of resolving this it would be appreciated if you could let me know what I need to do. Any ideas? I need to be able to play more naturally. A couple of times this year I have been able to play really fluently, without the problem mentioned above. My highest break is 50, so I know I should be able to play to a better standard.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cueing for too long can have an adverse effect. I've hit some excellent form recently and I'm playing the best I ever have. I put it down to putting in a few hours of solo practice every week and most importantly I'm concentrating on every shot, giving each shot the respect it deserves and feathering the cue ball a bit more than what I used too. The biggest change to my playing style is I make the effort to pause before I strike which is very important. Have confidence in your ability and every time you go down on the shot take a deep breath and think:

" I WILL pot this shot. No problem"

Note the type of shots you're having problems with and address them during solo practice where you're under no pressure and can experiment with your stance, bridge and grip.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
    X