What is the best grip for spin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best grip for spin?

I've noticed that when I'm playing pool at a venue with average tables (fairly thick cloths) and average cues (flat tips), I cannot generate spin.

However, the problem is likely in my grip hand. I've noticed that the utmost natural grip hand action is for the grip to "come undone" on the backswin and clench in on the forward, final stroke. When I do this and I'm playing for prolonged periods and I play a lot of powerful shots for strategic reasons, my grip hand will become red and hurt. I can also feel the "vibration" and shock of the cue in my grip hand.

To produce maximum spin, what is the best grip? Shouldn't I be tensing up on the backspin and easing up on the final stroke and with contact on the white? Also, what about snapping my wrist (hold your arm out in front of you, cock your wrist up and down whilst keeping the rest of your arm and hand still - as if you're shaking hands using just your wrist for the movement) - is this recommended when I'm delivering the cue?

All the snooker players ease up on the backswing but tense up on all the forward strokes. This grip can be seen when the camera is looking from behidn the player. Yet these players (O Sullivan, Davis, etc) all get good spin. How?

Thanks

I get only one answer to my mind and thats cueing!

I feel 95% of the game depends on your cueing!
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

ranen is "correct" IMHO

depending on the type of shot, and the amount of power, your grip will alter slightly on some shots, but the way to get good and accurate spin is good aim and cueing.

Comment

I think your probably focusing on the wrong thing!
        I think you should first of all be comfortable with your cueing, if your hand hurts that’s wrong.
        I don't have a special grip for screwing back, I don't think people do generally!

If I were you I'd focus on:
        Hitting the ball low
        Getting the cue parallel with the table (try to not hit down on the shot)
        Following through with the cue

I do tend to punch stun and screw shots. This is rather than pushing the cue through you hit it with a fast punchy stroke (this doesn't mean hit it hard)!

Comment

Grip is important but to generate effortless spin or power you need good timing. Timing is difficult to define because depending on your ability as a player will determine how good your timing is on the shot. Watch O'Sullivan or any of the top players and quite often even when generating a lot of spin they don't hit the balls hard. You need to bring the cue through as smooth as possible and strike the ball correctly, i.e. don't jab at it, hit through the ball. Too often players use a jabby action and aren't pushing through the shot correctly.

This does take a lot of practice though, don't expect it to work overnight. Just experiment with different grips and try to get the cue going through as level as possible and as smooth as you can.

Comment

Interesting advice.

My hand only hurts because I tense up my grip hand on contact with the cue ball, which probably causes me to miss the odd long distance shot.

I found my own method whilst experimenting, which is to tighten up on the backswing and ease up on the forward stroke. This solves that problem of my grip hand hurting, but this is not the natural way to do things (though it works for me, which is all that matters). I just have to make this a habit now, which is difficult.

Comment

I think it's all with your cueing??
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

I'm not happy with this thred!!!
                Last night I was practicing and thinking about my grip on screw shots!
                Well I do squeeze a bit more on screw shots which I wasn't really consious of.
                The problem was I stated to think about it too much and must have strted to do something different because my thum started to hurt!
                My game is ruined thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                X