snooker elbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snooker elbow?

I've been playing snooker for since I was about 14, I'm now 44. I have a question and that is, is there such thing as snooker elbow(like tennis elbow). The reason I ask is that I've overhauled my stance and am playing really well and improvering every session.
    It's just that I noticed that my elbow has started hurting and today it was really bad. I can't remember knocking it so can only put it down to a change in the way I'm cuing.
    Has anyone experiance this before and if so will it pass.
    The problem is the elbow of my cue arm and i have a orthodox stance.

If you have been playing lots and lots of hours lately it could be tennis elbow (won't be snooker elbow...lol)..

Could be a slight 'strain' in that area where you have changed stance etc and your elbow not used to the movement...etc etc...

It will pass, You need to rest it a little bud.

But we're not getting any younger and it could possibly play up a little now and then now it's started.

Simple stretches and excersises that strengthen the area will help.
    Last edited by cally; 17 August 2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I've just been reading up on it and and have realised that tennis elbow has nothing to do with tennis and is merely a term (thanks Cally).
      now that I given it some thought I did jar my elbow when stripping some armoured cable at work. I have no doubt that the snooker is aggravating it so I might have to rest up for a while. Such a shame when I playing my best snooker in years
      It did say that it could take anywhere between 2 months to 2 years to heal???????????????????
      Last edited by cazmac1; 17 August 2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I have trouble with my elbow if i train or owt, so i don't bother....lol..

It will go bud, it needs to be rested though... shouldn't take 2 years bud, but if you don't rest it, it will play up for months on end.

Like i said, simple excersises and stretches to strengteh the area and it will keep it oiled up for ya..(so to speak)

It is a killer, the old tennis elbow is a reet pain.

Comment

I went through a similar problem some years ago.
          Basically both my elbows had pain on the outside which was aggrivated by playing (a lot of pool in those days) and it started to affect my drinking action as well so something had to be done!
          Doctor said it was Tennis Elbow (as you say nothing to do with Tennis itself just a common term), and we tried cortizon injection, which gave relieve for a month then the pain came back. Then we tried lazer treatment, which did f**k all; then physio, again did not helped.
          So for many years I wore one of those magnet bracelets, which did help to soothe the pain but did not cure it.
          Then after an off-chance conversation with a stranger on a train one day, I went back to the doctor and asked about acuputure.
          So after 4 treatments over 4 weeks (five were originally scheduled), my elbows where "cured". I cancelled the last treatment as by elbows were fine.
          When I say cured, they are not 100% but for everyday work, rest and play they do not ache or give me pain.
          The only time I do feel them is when I have done something out of the usual, like a heavy piece of DIY or similar, but then the following day the ache will steadily go away.
          I am not saying that acuputure will help you, but it did me after years of pain, so you never know until you try
          All the best
          Last edited by DeanH; 18 August 2011, 07:51 AM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Try flexing the elbow joint the opposite way and also give the elbow a little rest. Acupuncture could help (my wife is a physio and trained acupuncturist) and she tells me ice and flexing the opposite way should help as you've probably strained a ligament in the elbow joint.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for all your reply's, I will see if it goes on it's own if not I will certainly look in to the acupuncture thingy

Comment

Actually suffering exactly the same myself -'bizarrely I was just thinking myself of posting a similar thread. Ive had mine a couple of months now and it really hurts when I play power shots or deep screw. I've taken the difficult decision to rest it up for a couple of months. I also have an elbow brace which works well as does ice before bed ( as this is the time I suffer most). Good luck with the recovery. Ps your doctor can recommend physiotherapy for you if you go along

Comment

25 years ago I played a lot (eg 90+ frames in one 6 day period) and developed an RSI type injury to my forefinger/hand joint caused by my tight grip and the hinge action on the butt. I had a painful spur which you could feel on the bone.

I had to change my grip to the second finger (for the better I hope). Nowadays the problem is backache! Never mind..

Comment

Just while I remember I have heard several people say using a 'powerball' - basically a spinning gyroscope that you can pick up for a tenner on amazon can help. I have one and will let you know how I get on with it

Comment

One possible explanation: I'm an avid tennis player, badminton player, and snooker geek, AND I work in the computer industry so I know this pain very well. Your snooker elbow actually may be pain caused by a tightening of the forearm muscles above the wrist. This is possibly caused by an "overgripping" of the cue repeatedly especially from long sessions of play. It's an RSI, short for "Repetitive Strain Injury" which comes from overuse. I had something similar years back not from snooker but from computer use. Technology workers have this issue a lot so the common remedy is to wear a wrist brace, wrapping, ice, etc, but that WILL NOT SOLVE the problem once and for all - trust me I tried all these.

Stretching the wrist backwards and forewards, ice, and all the other ideas will help alleviate the pain, but once you have the "injury", it's likely going to become a recurring problem every time you excite those specific muscles. It's likely that eventually, you will be in too much pain and won't be able to play. Luckily there IS a permanent fix. Read on.

Two things you must do:

1. Go and visit an ART, or Active Release Technique practicioner. What they will do is deep massage the affected muscles in your forearm. They do this in order to break down the tightened plaque and muscle fibres in your arm and then your body can remove the resulting toxins via blood/urine. The plaque forms as a result of injury and repeated aggravation causes more plaque to form. You are in UK, so visit http://www.whatclinic.com/chiropract...ase-techniques. Learn more about ART at http://www.activerelease.com.

2. Have a proper look at your gripping or tension-creating cueing issues. It's possible you are gripping too tightly or there is tension somewhere in your cue action which is aggravating the muscles in your wrist/forearm/elbow. Snooker, when played properly, should not cause any muscle pain or joint problems.

I had something similar years back when I first learned to play. Looking back, I remember being a tight "gripper" at the time. Now, returning to the game, I hold the cue more lightly and don't grip nearly as much.

Hope that helps! Best of luck!
                      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

This post above looks suspicious, the link might be a hack.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Rapidweb please see above Ash.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                            This post above looks suspicious, the link might be a hack.
                            Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                            Rapidweb please see above Ash.
                            thanks, done
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I used to get elbow problems a good while back when playing but I got a few exercises to do and it certainly helped.

I used to get lots of shoulder issues (rotator cuff) so used to do exercises for that and then when one of the elbows started up, I did similar circular exercises for this and basic stretching.

What's amazing with lots of injuries (like shoulder) is that it can be other places in your body that can be causing the issue and in my case with my shoulder, lazy posture watching the TV.

I don't get too many elbow issues now (touch wood) as the exercises certainly helped so it's nice to have a few quick helps ones in your locker.
                              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X