Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See saw

What causes see-sawing?

Is it just an early drop with the elbow?

Has it got something to do with where you grip the cue and/or the distance between your hands?

Could be not opening the hand on the backswing which pulls the butt up.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think it could be helpful to some to, forget about the word 'grip" because, in good snooker there is no such thing!
      Your holding the cue in the eye of the hand and the back fingers are opening and closing to, some degree, from beginning to end of shot completion enjoy

Comment

Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
        What causes see-sawing?

Is it just an early drop with the elbow?

Has it got something to do with where you grip the cue and/or the distance between your hands?
        This video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRcYLVZdVI

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Unfortunately, see-saw motion is natural. Most people who first pick up a cue and play with no coaching whatsoever will have grip hand moving in an arc fashion rather than a straight line/piston.
          It took me more than two years to get rid of that awful motion...learning to open up the fingers and drop the elbow slightly on backswing was fun... only then was I able to truly slide the cue on the chin and chest and not hurt myself...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            Unfortunately, see-saw motion is natural. Most people who first pick up a cue and play with no coaching whatsoever will have grip hand moving in an arc fashion rather than a straight line/piston.
            It took me more than two years to get rid of that awful motion...learning to open up the fingers and drop the elbow slightly on backswing was fun... only then was I able to truly slide the cue on the chin and chest and not hurt myself...
            True that...
            "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Another important but less talked about element in technique in this regard would be to make sure you change the position of the bridge on the table with respect to the shot i.e. for screw shots the tip has to contact down the CB and hence bridge hand should be lowered rather than having the normal bridge hand and playing screw as this might induce scooping or else see/saw. Same for the follow shots i.e. bridge raised.

Loose and relaxed grip that lets the fingers open and close with ease helps. Do not worry about the elbow drop in this regard as that would naturally happen to some degree.

Are you sure you do the see/saw or just think it is happening? Get down address the white with slow and more pronounced feathers and address CB in centre and then notice on backswing if the tip is lowered or not ?
              "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
              X