sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sighting

is it correct that as we get down on the shot we should be looking at exact spot on the object ball we wish to to strike with the cue ball , my problem with this is when i look back at my tip of the cue after looking at the object ball it is not always in the middle of the cue ball therefore having to move the tip to the middle of the cue ball before i strike the white , any advice would be helpful thanks

If you are not addressing the middle (or where you want to hit the CB), get back up and try again. The last thing you should do is move the cue when down (easier said than done)!

It takes practice but you should be able to drop down onto the shot looking at OB and find yourself addressing the CB in the right place.

Comment

I don't know if this is correct but I found if my cue sweep wasn't done early enough my bridge hand was a bit late on to the table, therefore a bit off centre on the cb, so my sweep is early and the cue is online before I get down.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Lots of players do not hit centre of the white all the time. I am always playing with bits of side and things so it is not a problem - if they are going in - If you are playing plain ball and you want to hit a straight shot I sometimes imagine my cue tip going through the object ball or hitting a point on the pocket rather than looking at the white because this is a habit that seems to help me on this particular shot for some reason.

If you think you are not finding the centre of the white another tip to find the centre is to first point the cue tip at the base of the white where it meets the table before feathering - then slightly raise the tip to centre - One example of a player that does this would be Jimmy White.

Comment

thanks for all your replys , however my main question was do we look at object ball as we get in to the stance before we look at the white thanks

Comment

From a standing position, all the way down into the shot, I only look at the object ball.

Only when i'm totally down do I flick my eyes back to the cueball for a second and then back to object ball.

Comment

pcb:

The answer to your question is YES, eyes on the object ball until the bridge hand hits the table and you've assumed the address position. If you are not addressing the spot on the cueball you wanted to then get back up and re-set yourself.

Do not make any adjustments when you are in the address position. One way to ensure you are on the centre of the cueball is while you are standing up place the cue on the line of aim with the tip close to the cueball and without moving the cue at all BRING THE BODY TO THE CUE (in other words, do not move the cue at all once you've set it on the line of aim).

You can do this at any time but once you get used to getting the cue exactly where you want it you can revert to your old method.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

[QUOTE=Terry Davidson;735702]pcb

Do not make any adjustments when you are in the address position.

Funny ol game, this snooker. Since I did a course for coaching with Steve D and Terry G, my snooker has improved quite a lot. It was the main reason I did the course. I am not so interested in coaching, being a qualified referee is much more my preference, and I really enjoy reffing. Both Steve and Terry G said the same as Terry D. Don't move on the shot once you are down and lined up. Generally, I don't and get good results, but now I am going to say something that will get people hopping up and down. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.
                I have had a little problem lately with some angled shots. Generally it is split 50-50 between overcutting and undercutting, so obviously I am not seeing the line correctly. Then in practice I tried something, that is not recommended. I got down on the shot (angle) with the line of aim as centre to centre. ie full ball on the object ball. Then while I am in that position, somehow, I see the angle required to pot the object ball, and correct myself into that position while still down on the shot. Magically, my potting has improved by a good 70% on these shots.
                Now I am wondering if all the expert coaches out there can explain this to me? Something Steve Davis said during the course got me thinking. He noted that watching the pro's, nobody has the exact same set up and address but still conform to the norm. But then added, if it works for you, keep doing it. So, why do I see the line of pot or line of aim on the object ball better than when I am coming into the address position?

Comment

tommyG:

Without a video it would be very hard to analyse and come up with a reason but as Steve said if you feel you play better this way by making those adjustments (Mark Selby does this) then it gives you more confidence which in turn will make you play better.

The only reason I can theorize is you may not be dropping your head (use your nose) straight down on the line of aim. For right-handed players this normally happens when they place the left foot and allow the upper body to move a little to the left and off the line of aim and then they drop into the address position from the left. But you said your results were inconsistent when you didn't adjust so that may not be the true reason.

Use your statement at the bottom of your post and stay with it BUT do it consistently unless you find your are not potting more balls. The danger is you may be compensating for some glitch in your pre-shot routine by making these adjustments and if that other glitch gets stronger you may run into problems.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Terry;

Thanks for the heads up. The reason I don't really like moving my aim when I am down on the shot is because I am a great believer in the top of the body including the head remaining absolutely still before during and after the shot - so moving my aim at the address position means that I may move the upper body and this will cause problems. I take your point that there may be a quirk in my setup to address, and I will try to get a video if I can and get it posted. Generally, I drop my head once the bridge hand is in position, lay my chin almost on the cue, with right eye (dominant) over the cue.
                    I see I am in good company though, if Mark Selby does the same as he was No1 for a long time.
                    I just tried moving my aim, whilst in the address to see what is moving. Mostly, it is my grip elbow. It moves in toward the body more while I am adjusting my aim - does this then mean that I am not getting the set up right? I mean shouldn't the elbow be in to the body so that the chest is resting on the cue - therefore, if the cue is delivered straight the wrist should end up in the chest?
                    I have a feeling I may have to go back to basics, from the very start to see if I can get right leg, right eye, grip hand, and bridge hand all on the line of aim as I lower into address. Tom

Comment

tommyG:

I'm surprised you are altering the aim using the elbow as that is really unusual. Every player I've ever seen (including myself regrettably) will move his hips very slightly right or left depending on the shot and correction he needs. In fact this is actually done by a lot of players some of them very good players.

Try going back to basics only if you feel there's room for improvement here on alignment when at address. A change in alignment may set you back for awhile as it will take a lot of practice to get it ingrained and natural. *This is the main reason why I haven't developed a rear pause, just not enough time left as a competitive player.)

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Thanks Terry. I am going to have a good practice session shortly and try and sort this one out. It seems to me that I am having difficulty seeing the line of the object ball to pocket when I approach the table, standing erect. Then when down at address I seem to see that line much clearer and alter my address position. I may try to work backwards from address, just to see why I am not seeing LOA when stood erect.

Comment

tommyG:

I have no doubt in my mind a player gets the best perspective for the line of aim while standing behind and over the shot. The trick is then to get into the address position on the exact same line of aim. If a player is able to drop down absolutely straight from standing behind the shot and into the address position then he SHOULD be sighting on the correct line of aim.

Although some people on here have poo-poohed the idea of using the nose as a guide and dropping the nose straight down but kept on that selected line of aim all the time I believe that is the surest way to go. The absolute best way to check this is to video yourself from the stand-up position and down to the address position. If you download 'Kinovea' (or Dartfish if you have it) you can draw a straight line from the head down through the line of aim to the cueball and beyond and then use frame-by-frame to determine if your head is dropping straight down. The nose should always be on that straight line and will only go off-line near the end if you don't happen to cue centre-chin.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Terry. Have been having a bit of a session this morning and found that there is an improvement following much of what you have told me. Now, starting off with using the nose as a guide, I have found that making sure that my right eye is over the cue during address gives me much better results. My right eye is the dominant, so I guess it makes sense that that should be my 'sighting' eye. I have been cueing centre chin for much of my last few years and believe that this has just been sufficient to push my line of aim slightly offline. It feels a little strange at the moment with my head being in the position it is, and on straight shots I feel I am going to miss, but hold my nerve, and hey presto, object ball to centre of pocket. Thanks for the help.

Comment

tommy:

Remember to give it sufficient time and don't change anything for awhile or try anything else, just work on the set-up at address and you will come good for sure.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X