No announcement yet.

sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this video which provides interesting insights into sighting... and some nifty footballing skills too...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIB0y_IJn3A#t=38m16s
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Here is illustrated my (maybe everyone's) method to find the line of aim. I feel quite confident getting the correct line of aim by this way.

getting_line_of_aim.JPG

But, I start struggling from the point where I'm supposed to drop down the shot: I've been told here (by Terry and Vmax) that I should be definitely keep staring at BOB while dropping down and my brains should "learn" and adapt to that offset (as the bob is on the line of aim only when it is a full ball contact). And, I've been thinking that proper stance would help me keep my cue on the line of aim when getting down. I've told to stare the BOB, because it is difficult to concentrate on something imaginary effectively. And one needs effective ways to make a shot to get a good level of consistency, which is the main key to success in snooker.

Why I'm instructed now to 'sight' along the cue through cueball along my line of aim (where the line after the cueball is all imaginary), and then when the shot is delivered I should be focusing at BOB, which is obviously most of the time off-line from the line of aim. Still, I'm trying to get cue going straight (like j6uk tells to practice over the baulk line) despite the saying that hands easily follow eyes.

Am I somehow stupid or what? Is this all clear to you members here?

This is really confusing me. Why I'm sticking this is that my nature is that I prefer true understanding, and moreover I'm wearing glasses and I'm trying to develop some consistency despite of glasses. I'd like to have some routines here to get game going a bit better on bad days, when eyes aren't working at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by RunningSide View Post
        Here is illustrated my (maybe everyone's) method to find the line of aim. I feel quite confident getting the correct line of aim by this way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15096[/ATTACH]

But, I start struggling from the point where I'm supposed to drop down the shot: I've been told here (by Terry and Vmax) that I should be definitely keep staring at BOB while dropping down and my brains should "learn" and adapt to that offset (as the bob is on the line of aim only when it is a full ball contact). And, I've been thinking that proper stance would help me keep my cue on the line of aim when getting down. I've told to stare the BOB, because it is difficult to concentrate on something imaginary effectively. And one needs effective ways to make a shot to get a good level of consistency, which is the main key to success in snooker.

Why I'm instructed now to 'sight' along the cue through cueball along my line of aim (where the line after the cueball is all imaginary), and then when the shot is delivered I should be focusing at BOB, which is obviously most of the time off-line from the line of aim. Still, I'm trying to get cue going straight (like j6uk tells to practice over the baulk line) despite the saying that hands easily follow eyes.

This is really confusing me. Why I'm sticking this is that my nature is that I prefer true understanding, and moreover I'm wearing glasses and I'm trying to develop some consistency despite of glasses. I'd like to have some routines here to get game going a bit better on bad days, when eyes aren't working at all.
        All of the above is right what they are all saying but a massive thing also is staying down on the shot till the ball misses or goes into a pocket, a massive part of learning come's from just that. sorry to butt in

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
          I understand what you are saying but for what ever reason it does not seem to all connect after i finish with Terry. Not sure whether it is my age, bad concentration or my bad arm wanting my body to go back to what feels comfortable. I know it is not for the lack of trying or practicing. I spend hours on my table practicing every night. I played a best of 7 against my son last night giving him 25 and the one game I made 12 of the reds and only one blue because of bad positonal play basically because I am not hitting the cue ball in the right spot that I planned so if my alignment is good then why not concentrate on the back of cue ball.
          I don't think this argument stands up Les, you say you potted twelve reds ,using bob technique but didn't get position, so this proves looking at the bob does not hinder your potting, but you think it hinders your positional play, I take it you mean you are not hitting the cue ball at the right height (as it can't be off centre as you wouldn't pot the reds at all) this can be for a load of technical reasons, and if it were me I would spend my time looking at these and getting them right rather than go down the wrong road, you Say if your alignment is right why not look at back of cue ball, the straightforward answer to that is because it's wrong, spend a year practicing the right things and you may crack it and you will be away, spend a year doing the wrong thing and you will be exactly where you are now.
          Of course it won't all click when Terry's gone, that's what the hard work is for, everyone is the same even the pros, little bad habits sneak in and they lose form, but they go back and practice the right things, not the wrong ones, surely this makes sense to you?
          Best of luck fella hope you figure it out.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Les, did you manage to find out where Thorburn gives lessons and how much he charges?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              Les, did you manage to find out where Thorburn gives lessons and how much he charges?
              I have heard he coaches in different clubs in Toronto and he charges $75 / hr min 2 hours so basically $150 for 2 hours.
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Iv heard he's good, let us know how you get on

I have heard he coaches in different clubs in Toronto and he charges $75 / hr min 2 hours so basically $150 for 2 hours.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  Iv heard he's good, let us know how you get on
                  I submitted a message on Cliff's website. I spoke with Cliff after lunch today and we have setup a session for next Monday afternoon and yes what I heard was correct as far as hourly rate. Looking forward to our session sounds like a great guy. He is a big time golf fanatic so we have lots in common and also loves hockey and my uncle and cousin both played in the National Hockey League. I will update after our session. This takes nothing away from Terry he is a great guy and a fantastic coach and now a good friend, too bad Terry has such a stubborn student. Good Luck Terry next week in the Worlds.

Comment

Good for you les.

I submitted a message on Cliff's website. I spoke with Cliff after lunch today and we have setup a session for next Monday afternoon and yes what I heard was correct as far as hourly rate. Looking forward to our session sounds like a great guy. He is a big time golf fanatic so we have lots in common and also loves hockey and my uncle and cousin both played in the National Hockey League. I will update after our session. This takes nothing away from Terry he is a great guy and a fantastic coach and now a good friend, too bad Terry has such a stubborn student. Good Luck Terry next week in the Worlds.

Comment

The very best of luck Les
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by RunningSide View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15096[/ATTACH]

I looked at the picture you have drawn - can you explain what it is you are lining up with

Comment

Hi Byrom,

sorry, but I don't understand what you want me to explain :redface: Please describe a little more what you mean, maybe I then get the point.

Comment

Les:

I would be interested in hearing the results of your 2hr session with Cliff as far as if he does anything different from what I've been trying to drill into your technique. Ask him about looking at the cueball at time of strike and also grip and getting the chest to the cue. I suspect he will be close to what I've been trying to teach you but as Cliff is a former World Championship his advice may carry more weight.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              Les:

I would be interested in hearing the results of your 2hr session with Cliff as far as if he does anything different from what I've been trying to drill into your technique. Ask him about looking at the cueball at time of strike and also grip and getting the chest to the cue. I suspect he will be close to what I've been trying to teach you but as Cliff is a former World Championship his advice may carry more weight.

Terry
                              Good Morning Terry, yes my session with Cliff should be interesting. Now get this one, I spent 4 hours on the table last night potting easy reds only looking at the cue ball knowing this is not the thing to do but I really did pot them well and it seemed to force me to keep the cue on line. Also when looking at the cue ball you can actually see the cue go back so it also allows you to keep the cue online. So now with a rain day today I am back on the table trying to repeat the same cue action as I had last night but now looking at BOB and still potting very well. I have the Champions of Champions on and just relaxing with easy pots.

Comment

I know, your looking at the cue coming back nice and straight. Almost there les

Good Morning Terry, yes my session with Cliff should be interesting. Now get this one, I spent 4 hours on the table last night potting easy reds only looking at the cue ball knowing this is not the thing to do but I really did pot them well and it seemed to force me to keep the cue on line. Also when looking at the cue ball you can actually see the cue go back so it also allows you to keep the cue online. So now with a rain day today I am back on the table trying to repeat the same cue action as I had last night but now looking at BOB and still potting very well. I have the Champions of Champions on and just relaxing with easy pots.

Comment

Working...
                                X