sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Les:

You might realize some benefits from j6uk's advice, i.e. - watching the ferrule come back during the backswing and then somewhere near the end of the backswing moving your eyes to focus on BOB. This technique has 2 distinct advantages, the first being if you realize around 80% of delivery problems originate in the backswing then it should allow you to keep the backswing straight as long as you keep it slow enough to control it.

The other advantage is when moving the eyes to the object ball at the end of the backswing it should inject an automatic rear pause and during that short period of time it allows the player to concentrate his efforts on the positional side of things and also disconnects the backswing from the delivery and helps remove any flaws.

Just remember not to breathe in during the backswing or otherwise allow the chest/head to move up. I think if you try and keep the chin and chest on the cue any tendency towards movement should be eliminated.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

This is worth a read les: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...my-front-pause
      Post #5 is what I like to do. I didn't agree with tel on post #12, but I guess the master coach is still learning

Comment

j6uk:

It sure seems to me you never miss a chance to take a shot at me as in 'master coach is still learning'. Yes, I'm still learning and bet you are too and every other player is still learning no matter what his skill level. Joe Davis said he learned something new every day when he wrote his books and that was after he had won 25 (or so) world championships.

Not following your comment on post #5 & #12 as neither of them are mine.

By the way, your method of watching the ferrule come back was what a very good player directed me to try when I asked him on his blog how I could develop a natural rear pause and that was what he told me to try. That was about 5 years ago or so and I tried it along with a few other methods passed to me but none of them worked for me.

Terry
        Terry Davidson

Comment

Back at work for an hour them back to my Snooker Room to watch the Rocket and Ding. I am going to try watching the ferrel and see how it works. I will let you know.
          " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
          " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
          http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Post #12 was me responding to your post #11.
            Yeah we're all still learning, for sure..
            Anyway, I hear you got a comp coming up? I hope the practice is going well, and good luck.

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            j6uk:

It sure seems to me you never miss a chance to take a shot at me as in 'master coach is still learning'. Yes, I'm still learning and bet you are too and every other player is still learning no matter what his skill level. Joe Davis said he learned something new every day when he wrote his books and that was after he had won 25 (or so) world championships.

Not following your comment on post #5 & #12 as neither of them are mine.

By the way, your method of watching the ferrule come back was what a very good player directed me to try when I asked him on his blog how I could develop a natural rear pause and that was what he told me to try. That was about 5 years ago or so and I tried it along with a few other methods passed to me but none of them worked for me.

Terry
            Last edited by j6uk; 22 November 2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

j6uk:
              By the way, your method of watching the ferrule come back
              Terry
              I think thats a load of ball ( BS ). The players that get on with it are the players that undoubtedly have been doing it ( for some reason ) from the minute they picked up a cue...

Watch, the ferrule come back before the delivery!!, imagine the amount of times you would see a player get back off the stick to re-address because he thought he see a deviation.

@ J6,, you do like to provoke a reaction from Terry, think you've been doing it for the year now. Give it a rest, its not needed, mate..
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

throtts:

For sure when I tried it I just couldn't get on with it. I figured where Les is just starting out and hasn't really developed a good technique of his own and also that he likes to keep his eyes on the cueball that this 'watching the ferrule (or cue) come back may be beneficial to him. It might be the 'holy grail' Les is looking for although most players understand there is no holy grail or silver bullet for snooker just very hard graft with tons of practice.

Thanks for the support. j6uk gave it away right from the start when he was critical of anyone who was a 'paper coach with a certificate' as he put it a year ago so I assume he has no respect for any coach who has taken training.

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Terry I hope you don't ever feel what you do on here isn't appreciated, the time and patience you have shown towards my daft questions that you probably answered a million times before ,( and since), but you understood they were new question to me, and you went through it all again, I for one thank you.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Throtts,
                    You think what terry is say here a load of BS right?

Les:

You might realize some benefits from j6uk's advice, i.e. - watching the ferrule come back during the backswing and then somewhere near the end of the backswing moving your eyes to focus on BOB. This technique has 2 distinct advantages, the first being if you realize around 80% of delivery problems originate in the backswing then it should allow you to keep the backswing straight as long as you keep it slow enough to control it.

The other advantage is when moving the eyes to the object ball at the end of the backswing it should inject an automatic rear pause and during that short period of time it allows the player to concentrate his efforts on the positional side of things and also disconnects the backswing from the delivery and helps remove any flaws.

Just remember not to breathe in during the backswing or otherwise allow the chest/head to move up. I think if you try and keep the chin and chest on the cue any tendency towards movement should be eliminated.

Terry

Comment

I too appreciate terry's posts, and he's even taught me a few things ,but If something didn't add up I'll always say so. And my argy-bargy with him comes with a so its snooker club banta.. I have never got personal.
                      Last edited by j6uk; 23 November 2013, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I see you have your supporters, and that's great. All I'm happy to give away is good sound tried and tested advise. As I did with you tel on the end of this post #42 until chris put it to bed #46 http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...nt-pause/page5
                        This was my first post back in march, which was hardly a year ago: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...follow-through.
                        Good advise and a bit of banter, that's all I'm about lads, not need to send the ships out
                        enjoy

Thanks for the support. j6uk gave it away right from the start when he was critical of anyone who was a 'paper coach with a certificate' as he put it a year ago so I assume he has no respect for any coach who has taken training.

Terry
                        Last edited by j6uk; 22 November 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

throtts:

For sure when I tried it I just couldn't get on with it. I figured where Les is just starting out and hasn't really developed a good technique of his own and also that he likes to keep his eyes on the cueball that this 'watching the ferrule (or cue) come back may be beneficial to him. It might be the 'holy grail' Les is looking for although most players understand there is no holy grail or silver bullet for snooker just very hard graft with tons of practice.

Terry
                          I tried it and it is not for me either. I have my eyes on BOB wrist straight cue in second pad of fingers and LOOSE and just making easy pots and also working on low and high blacks. I just spent 2 hours on the blacks once all are potted from one side then I pot them from the other side. I am going to drill those black angles into my head. Making about 70% of them. No sense of running blacks off the spot until I can make 80% or more.

Comment

Les as I mentioned it in another thread, it came back into my mind, have you watched the snooker pro tips, videos by Neil Maxman on YouTube , he covers a lot of stuff well worth a look as sometimes it's better if you can see how things are done rather than just be told. It will just be the stuff Terry has covered with you, but it could be a good thing to fall back on when Terry's not there.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Les as I mentioned it in another thread, it came back into my mind, have you watched the snooker pro tips, videos by Neil Maxman on YouTube , he covers a lot of stuff well worth a look as sometimes it's better if you can see how things are done rather than just be told. It will just be the stuff Terry has covered with you, but it could be a good thing to fall back on when Terry's not there.
                              I just checked them out. Some interesting routines. Thanks for the info. We have our 4th Qualifier tomorrow. I feel pretty good about the way I am potting them with authority. If I can just take my stroke from my table to the match table instead of my usual whimpy stroke I use when I get in a match.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                                I know, your looking at the cue coming back nice and straight. Almost there les
                                Funny I feel about as far as I can get from being almost there. Played our qualifier today lost 4 straight. Potted very well that is the reds but made very few colours. I can make reds but making a colour from know mans land just does not cut it. Your first red is suppose to be the tough one then with any talent your colour should be much easier. Do you know what it's like to make a great pot on a red to get in the balls only to play safe on your next shot or go after an impossible colour. It's so sad it's getting funny. My opponent told me today I was one ing him to death...LOL
                                Last edited by lesedwards; 24 November 2013, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X