what makes a good player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes a good player?

its often been talked about on tsf, who's the best pro player, the best under pressure, best shot maker and so on.. but in your mind, what makes a good player? what are the key attributes needed?
    i came across this in a basic google search: http://uk.askmen.com/money/mafioso_60/98_mafia.html
    i know, i know its not directly related to sport and its not inclusive to our better halves, but there are some very interesting parallels.. we've all seen ronnies transformation from boy to man and how he and his game has developed over the years. is there a player you strive to be like, maybe its the best player in your club? might be because they can screw the white the length of the table or is it there attitude around the table, win or loss?

what's been your experience, how have you changed from playing this game?

Bottle, that's what separates the good from the great, loads of talented players on the floor(to use a darts expression) but can't do it under the spotlight.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

with youon that. staying relaxed at critical moments and letting your natural fighting instincts kick-in..

but i'll also looking at it off the table, how improving can cross over into your personal life, and maybe you are around good players and recognize the difference in their approach on and off the table.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Bottle, that's what separates the good from the great, loads of talented players on the floor(to use a darts expression) but can't do it under the spotlight.

Comment

I'll tell you a strange thing I have noticed J6, I don't know if it's true about everywhere but it's this way at my club.
        The very very good players are all lovely folk, polite, chatty, never cross, always have time for you, always say hello and ask how you are playing . Even when giving you a good thrashing they make it a pleasure to play them, no gloating or showing off .
        The poor players(the thrashers) they always seem aggressive, you hear them shouting and swearing at missed pots, no thought as to why they missed, or you hear very loudly it's the tables fault or there was a draft lol, then on to next thrash and more expletives lol.
        Now all these players good and bad all have mixed backgrounds, some office workers some manual workers in a male dominant environment if you know what I mean, so there is no reason for the difference in attitude. Maybe Having the right personality is more conducive to learning and improving than we think.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

yes this is what i'm getting at. i think its true to say its the same everywhere, the good players are likely to avoid negativity and try to be positive and calm in difficult situations. look for solutions..

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          I'll tell you a strange thing I have noticed J6, I don't know if it's true about everywhere but it's this way at my club.
          The very very good players are all lovely folk, polite, chatty, never cross, always have time for you, always say hello and ask how you are playing . Even when giving you a good thrashing they make it a pleasure to play them, no gloating or showing off .
          The poor players(the thrashers) they always seem aggressive, you hear them shouting and swearing at missed pots, no thought as to why they missed, or you hear very loudly it's the tables fault or there was a draft lol, then on to next thrash and more expletives lol.
          Now all these players good and bad all have mixed backgrounds, some office workers some manual workers in a male dominant environment if you know what I mean, so there is no reason for the difference in attitude. Maybe Having the right personality is more conducive to learning and improving than we think.

Comment

A good player is probably someone who has -

A good temperament.

A consistent approach - pre-shot routine

Natural timing.

A confident way about them around the table and a calm patient yet determined manner away from it.

Being OCD helps too I think - Most good players have other addictive tenancies too I have noticed - sadly for them.

Comment

what makes a good player?

My interpretation is that there are three components that determine the level of success of a player of any sport:

Talent - The ability to understand the mechanics of the game with ease
              Commitment to improve - The desire to read, question, practice and analyse the game seeking personal development
              Ability to perform - To transfer their usual technique and play to a variety of situations

The combination of these and the level of skill an individual possesses in any of these areas will determine the extent of their successes. Looking around your club you will be able to identify one of these traits in all regular players, you will even be able to identify many players who possess any two of these traits and the names of these players probably appear on the club's trophies and plaques. I would predict that less than 1 in 100 clubs have a player that possesses all three components and is not making a living out of the game. Having all three, that is what makes a good player!

There is a fourth factor though! Life can spew a variety of obstacles in the way of any individual maximising their ability in these components and individuals can all too often hamper themselves holding on to life limiting habits and ineffective learned behaviours. Mastering life off the table is pivotal to success. A glance through some of the very best and most memorable players of the game is proof of this.
              Last edited by Stupree; 21 December 2013, 11:30 PM.
              On Cue Facebook Page
              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

I think this is a very good question to ask retrospectively - the answer to any problems are always within.

Comment

Really good pro players are super consistent with their approach, technique...etc...and they are strong minded, they don't crumble under pressure, at least not very often. The very best elite ones can do the same while millions are watching them and for big money as well.
                  I think by constant exposure to high pressure matches with utmost dedication every player at every level can improve his own 'bottle' which is by far most important ingredient.
                  Still, not everybody is the same and not everyone has the same limits. It's just like with any other sport. There could ever be only very few individuals with special abilities who will be champions.

Comment

Consistent consistency
                    "Practice Makes Perfect"
                    "He Who Endures Conquers"
                    "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

and taking a step back, what's it take to be consistent?

Originally Posted by WelshPhantom View Post
                      Consistent consistency

Comment

agree whats been said previously.

but would like to add what separates good players from bad at my club is those who enjoy the 'run of the ball.'

these players go for the balls a lot, quite attacking, but when they miss they don't leave anything. quite consistently actually.
                        which puts confidence up to attack more as they know they not gonna leave anything.

some other players as good if not better then these players, but don't get away with leaving shots on, so don't go for as many.

but that's snooker suppose.

Comment

A few more things to make it in the game big time.

Motivation - To keep working hard.

Money - To play on the right conditions all the time - enter all the events - not worry about paying bills/expenses/living -

Better or great players around you to drive you on -

Positive Vibes Around You - Perhaps people in your camp who are good at inspiring you -

A suppotive partner - happy family life - no external worries- good health

Belief - Confidence is everything - keep it high.

Good preperation -

A relaxed positive attitude

A iron mentality - calm manner on and off the table.

A cue that feels like an extension of your arm.

An ability to shake off the bad defeats and turn them into plus points.

Luck - Every little helps.

Comment

Patience, Discipline, Talent and Hard work- where talent and hard work might actually be inversely proportional to each other
                            "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
                            X