No announcement yet.

Technique critque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your struggling for time rogi just do blacks off the spot, you know the black routine right? its the best, and if you've only got 30-60min its a must. you'll get to know all the black angles and the back cushion really well. the breaks should start rolling in after a couple of weeks on it..
    i also think the pink cross.
    i did all of this: http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html
    Last edited by j6uk; 22 December 2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

No bullwhip, I think you could be very good, you know what to work on (you said a lot of it yourself)and everybody has said everything else, but your basics look great and you can build on them, I look forward to hearing of your first ton soon, in two years that is very nice indeed.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        if your struggling for time rogi just do blacks off the spot, you know the black routine right? its the best, and if you've only got 30-60min its a must. you'll get to know all the black angles and the back cushion really well. the breaks should start rolling in after a couple of weeks on it..
        i also think the pink cross.
        i did all of this: http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html
        That site is very good thanks. I'll take your advice and do the blacks next time and the pink cross

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        No bullwhip, I think you could be very good, you know what to work on (you said a lot of it yourself)and everybody has said everything else, but your basics look great and you can build on them, I look forward to hearing of your first ton soon, in two years that is very nice indeed.
        I'm glad someone has confidence it me

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
          I think the rushing is from it being fairly easy but I do pace myself a little better in a match I do think my shot selection is in need of serious improvement. I played on the small table with red and yellow balls before snooker and as long as you can see it it's pots lol

Any routine suggestions. I tend to play either the line up with 2 red below or the Christmas tree formation, seasonal I know

Cheers bud
          Well I would move it on from line ups a bit now as that is making you lazy in your shot selection although good to get your arm going. You can always spread the red and practise that way to build confidence.

Here are a few I do.

1. Split a couple of reds off from the pack leave yourself a long stun shot try and leave a low black smash pack clear up - as you would in a normal game - keep a record of high break 5 goes

2. Red in a cross on the pink - Soft stuns only if possible - set yourself a target to do the lot before you move on - 5 goes or fail.

3. Try line up without hitting a side cushsion - set yourself a target score to beat for next time - five goes or fail

4. Leave three reds bettween the black and pink spot and try and clear up - give yourself ten go's each time play on the last red play for the blue from the last red as its easier to get on yellow - be honest and see how many times you clear up set yourself a target to beat for next time.

5. Group the reds together in seperate clusters of three all over the table starting from the black try and make a canon on any cluster and then taking red and colours clear up - you will have to work on the line on the colours to make canons to split the clustered reds - give yourself five goes. record your high break to beat next time.

6. Spread the reds try and clear up if you miss a colour put it back on spot if you miss a red put two back on and keep going till you clear up.

7. Pick three weak areas of your game - eg long shots or off cushion, blind pocket shots or positional shots - whatever is your weak area - try each one ten times and keep a record of your score - try and beat score next time.

8. Before you go every time you practice do the colours - dont leave untill you do them.

That should do it for now

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            Well I would move it on from line ups a bit now as that is making you lazy in your shot selection although good to get your arm going. You can always spread the red and practise that way to build confidence.

Here are a few I do.

1. Split a couple of reds off from the pack leave yourself a long stun shot try and leave a low black smash pack clear up - as you would in a normal game - keep a record of high break 5 goes

2. Red in a cross on the pink - Soft stuns only if possible - set yourself a target to do the lot before you move on - 5 goes or fail.

3. Try line up without hitting a side cushsion - set yourself a target score to beat for next time - five goes or fail

4. Leave three reds bettween the black and pink spot and try and clear up - give yourself ten go's each time play on the last red play for the blue from the last red as its easier to get on yellow - be honest and see how many times you clear up set yourself a target to beat for next time.

5. Group the reds together in seperate clusters of three all over the table starting from the black try and make a canon on any cluster and then taking red and colours clear up - you will have to work on the line on the colours to make canons to split the clustered reds - give yourself five goes. record your high break to beat next time.

6. Spread the reds try and clear up if you miss a colour put it back on spot if you miss a red put two back on and keep going till you clear up.

7. Pick three weak areas of your game - eg long shots or off cushion, blind pocket shots or positional shots - whatever is your weak area - try each one ten times and keep a record of your score - try and beat score next time.

8. Before you go every time you practice do the colours - dont leave untill you do them.

That should do it for now
            Great, they sound challenging but you never learn if you don't push yourself

Comment

All looks pretty smooth to me! Fast to (at least compared to me )

Do a lineup with colours, too. I find a line of reds is good to get the action going, but it's more forgiving, as little mistakes can be overcome more easily.

Good vid.

Comment

Hi !
                - make sure you that you 'bring your chest to the cue and not the cue to the chest' as you seem to be lifting your cue when you start your feathers
                - also consider a smaller length of cue from the 'V' of the bridge to the cueball for the 'taught' technique is 9" to 12"; it's a trade-off between accuracy and aiming but in any case I think you are overdoing it slightly.
                - keep still on the shot as sometimes you are lifiting your head earlier; wait till the ball has dropped as you usually do anyways.
                cheers
                D.
                :snooker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnqd...4&feature=plcp

Comment

Originally Posted by snookergr View Post
                  Hi !
                  - make sure you that you 'bring your chest to the cue and not the cue to the chest' as you seem to be lifting your cue when you start your feathers
                  - also consider a smaller length of cue from the 'V' of the bridge to the cueball for the 'taught' technique is 9" to 12"; it's a trade-off between accuracy and aiming but in any case I think you are overdoing it slightly.
                  - keep still on the shot as sometimes you are lifiting your head earlier; wait till the ball has dropped as you usually do anyways.
                  cheers
                  D.
                  I have thought about shortening the bridge length a tad but couldn't get on with it as it made me hold the cue further up the butt and I could no longer feel the chamfer on completion

Comment

Didn't see anything except the head movement that gave me pause.

I have 2 recommendations though...in order to get your pace to something which allows you time to cement the shot into your mind increase your front and rear pause.

Secondly, this exercise is only good for warm-up and doesn't teach you anything about cueball control. Do a regular line-up where you force yourself to thing 2 shots ahead. When shooting a red think 'where do I want the cueball to be so I can get on THAT red from the colour'.

I think all you really need is lots of dedicated practice as you have the technique to improve rapidlt

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Didn't see anything except the head movement that gave me pause.

I have 2 recommendations though...in order to get your pace to something which allows you time to cement the shot into your mind increase your front and rear pause.

Secondly, this exercise is only good for warm-up and doesn't teach you anything about cueball control. Do a regular line-up where you force yourself to thing 2 shots ahead. When shooting a red think 'where do I want the cueball to be so I can get on THAT red from the colour'.

I think all you really need is lots of dedicated practice as you have the technique to improve rapidlt

Terry
                      Thanks terry, this was purely a warm up exercise. I will video a proper routine next time.

Comment

I like what I see as well. Address position of the cue arm a tad behind the vertical, grip closes a balls width past the cue ball giving a natural follow through, consistant speed and rhythm on each shot, left foot a good distance forward which is why you probably missed the yellow due to not getting on the line of aim because the table was in the way of where your left foot needed to be.
                        Similar to myself that, when in that position on the yellow, I get the mini butt out where others less tall than me don't need it due to their more square left foot position.
                        Keep in mind when stretching for such shots that the table is in the way of your left foot and your body position therefore doesn't put your cue on the line of aim.
                        Don't think it will be ok just because you can reach it.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          I like what I see as well. Address position of the cue arm a tad behind the vertical, grip closes a balls width past the cue ball giving a natural follow through, consistant speed and rhythm on each shot, left foot a good distance forward which is why you probably missed the yellow due to not getting on the line of aim because the table was in the way of where your left foot needed to be.
                          Similar to myself that, when in that position on the yellow, I get the mini butt out where others less tall than me don't need it due to their more square left foot position.
                          Keep in mind when stretching for such shots that the table is in the way of your left foot and your body position therefore doesn't put your cue on the line of aim.
                          Don't think it will be ok just because you can reach it.
                          I'll try using the mini butt next time in that position. I do find I miss more often than not when stretching

Comment

Went and played my mate last night, played some of my best snooker, mindful of not rushing round the table.Had a few 40's and countless 30's but still lost 15-2. I'm very good at counting breaks and picking out balls for others though lol

Comment

your on the up rogi,
                              next time, when ever you miss and your mates on a break, keep hold of your cue while your picking out the balls and don't put it down till the frames beyond reach. this sends out positive vibes to you and your sparing partner and shows your involved, wanna play and score when your in.
                              if he's making back to backs it might feel a bit silly, but give it a go

Went and played my mate last night, played some of my best snooker, mindful of not rushing round the table.Had a few 40's and countless 30's but still lost 15-2. I'm very good at counting breaks and picking out balls for others though lol

Comment

Ronnie O Sullivan - Higgins and Hendry and indeed every good player that ever held a cue where once ball pickers too my man. Remember that.

To soar with the eagles a small bird must first learn how to fly alongside

Comment

Working...
                                X