Would appreciate any feedback / suggestions for improvement on my technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would appreciate any feedback / suggestions for improvement on my technique

I'm new to the forum, have been trying to seriously learn the game of snooker for about a year now. Happy with my progress so far but would really appreciate some tips from some veterans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydc5N4T3zes

I fluked the first red but you can't see it because it's off camera.

i think you have good technique and can pot well. what i thought you could have done was instead of taking the 12th red that was below the Pink you could have taken the one below the black, you had a good position to take that one with a soft stun, this would give you the choice of black or pink.

when i do line up i take the ones below the black first because they are difficult, it is best to be high on these too. this allows a soft more controlled shot. you played it with pace to get position which makes that shot difficult.

i would also stay down until the object ball drops in the pocket, i am trying to do this myself. when you get into the habit of getting up early sometimes you might get up to early in the delivery which could lead to errors.

overall well done keep at it, you should soon be making tons with the line up.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me and it's nice to have a good camera angle for a change. You're doing everything right as far as I could see with the minor exception that on some shots you don't have a rear pause and on some you do. It would make you more consistent to have the same rhythm and timing on every shot but as I said very minor problem.

All you need now is tons of practice.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a problem with consistency, so maybe trying to be consistent with the rear pause will help.

Comment

First and last shot, I thought when hit with a bit of power there was definite movement that's why you missed them, to me it looked like you choked the cue action a bit on them, I would of liked to have seen you reset the last shot and play it again instead of stopping the video, try dialing back the power but cueing relaxed right through the cue ball,keeping the grip relaxed all the way through, you will get the same if not more reaction but will stay still on the shot and stop any tension in the arm and grip(took me ages to realise this even though Pottr told me it within a couple of months of me picking a cue up).
          But I really liked your set up, back arm is right in line ,grip opens nicely, you stay down ( most of the time) you take your time and look for what you think is the best shot. B+ I have decided to grade these videos from now on, not from any expert knowledge or anything but just how I feel at the time lol.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Not focusing on technique here but routines.

The line up is making you lazy - are you actually playing or planing for the next ball properly giving yourself options or perhaps just because there are a load of reds in a line you think instinctively that you dont really have to think too much to land on something?

I think you could do to improve your shot selection and your positioning and close control of the white definately needs working on. I would see a coach or get some routines that work on this area of the game to improve before you get in the habit of being too lazy.

You could try Playing for the reds in order next time you do the line up - practice different routines - finishing the colours maybe or the red cross with just the pink using soft suns and screw potting only by cueing up and down centre white plain ball to gain close control - no hitting cushions allowed - practice just potting the black into either pocket and staying in position - playing it from where it finishes - set yourself some targets. There are other routines hard to explain without diagrams but if you cant afford or get to a good coach then watch more snooker and keep playing better and better players and set yourself different targets and different routines in solo practice and try to improve the areas of your game you are weak at - not just willy nilly practice - this is the level of practice for a beginner - you are at a higher level now.

Comment

Nowt wrong with it mate but for one exception. The pink you potted at 5m 19s, it was a shoulder shot, played with the shoulder joint, not the elbow joint. Although you got it don't be lured into thinking that it's OK, it's not and must be avoided.

Comment

Working...
              X