Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling "Lined Up"

Hi Guys,

I've agonized over my technique quite a bit in the last few years. Although I think I have isolated and ironed out a couple of my problems there is still something missing(See below lol). Things that have really helped me recently include a slower, smaller back swing, not worrying about lining my arm up over the cue and really concentrating on position in match play.

As a little background, I used to pot balls quite regularly and the game seemed very natural to me, granted, I wasn't an exceptional player by anyone's standards, but I knew that I could give anyone a close frame on my day.

However, I started to tinker with my technique maybe 5 years ago. Big Mistake. This forum has helped a lot, as has Steve Davis's technical blog.

However, it's got to the point where I can't even remember what it used to feel like to play how I used to!

What I mean by this is that I used to feel like I was lined up and I knew for a fact that the ball was going in. When I think about it now I would liken it to feeling like a coiled spring or a stretched out elastic band. Also, when I felt like this, after striking the ball, the ball would roll exactly how I envisioned it(especially apparent when playing pool as the stripe/spot/8 ball etc would roll exactly in a straight line).

Very rarely (1/100 shots maybe) I get that feeling back and I just know the ball is going in before the shot and it rolls really sweetly.

Can anyone here relate to what I am saying?! Any ideas on how to feel better lined up on the shot?! I don't particularly want to spend another 5 years tinkering with technique and destroying my game AGAIN!

Or is this all bollocks and a completely mental thing?! :snooker:
    Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
    Well. I would say that providing you are physically able. It's 100% a mental thing. As soon as you see the pot your brain has already worked out exactly what you need to do to pot it. The only think remaining is to allow your mind to focus and guide your body to pot the ball. Easier said then done.

One thing I've noticed that when I pot long pots is at the moment when I've struck the white. My mind is completely relaxed and focused and the body effortlessly follows what my mind is telling it to do. There is a sense of flow.

When I miss, I often think that my mind was on another aspect of the game. I was not 100% relaxed and focused on the shot. I allowed my brain and thoughts to get in the way.

Comment

I am/was in the same boat.I , like you was a pool player and could play both games to a reasonable standard but realised that the poor technique that i could get away with at pool would always hold my game back in snooker. So i decided to improve my technique right from the basics upwards starting with my stance and walk into the shot. This ruined my game !!! Everything i read banged on about the standing foot being on the line of aim, well it don't work for me !!! Only now, now that i've stopped thinking about where my feet are and a dozen other things has my game started to come back. I suggest you try just find the line of aim, get your grip hand on it, keep it there and keep everything smooth. Forget everything else for now and if you want to change things later, ONE thing at a time ! GOOD LUCK !

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
        Hi Guys,

I've agonized over my technique quite a bit in the last few years. Although I think I have isolated and ironed out a couple of my problems there is still something missing(See below lol). Things that have really helped me recently include a slower, smaller back swing, not worrying about lining my arm up over the cue and really concentrating on position in match play.

As a little background, I used to pot balls quite regularly and the game seemed very natural to me, granted, I wasn't an exceptional player by anyone's standards, but I knew that I could give anyone a close frame on my day.

However, I started to tinker with my technique maybe 5 years ago. Big Mistake. This forum has helped a lot, as has Steve Davis's technical blog.

However, it's got to the point where I can't even remember what it used to feel like to play how I used to!

What I mean by this is that I used to feel like I was lined up and I knew for a fact that the ball was going in. When I think about it now I would liken it to feeling like a coiled spring or a stretched out elastic band. Also, when I felt like this, after striking the ball, the ball would roll exactly how I envisioned it(especially apparent when playing pool as the stripe/spot/8 ball etc would roll exactly in a straight line).

Very rarely (1/100 shots maybe) I get that feeling back and I just know the ball is going in before the shot and it rolls really sweetly.

Can anyone here relate to what I am saying?! Any ideas on how to feel better lined up on the shot?! I don't particularly want to spend another 5 years tinkering with technique and destroying my game AGAIN!

I can, I feel the same way in a match. I see the line I get down and then my mind says you cannot make it and what happens I miss it and now I have this real tentative stroke which gets me no position and I still talk myself into missing. But my practice sessions are completly different I pot everything with authority using what ever I need to get on my next ball. I was up to Terry Davidsons for some match play practice yesterday and it was a disaster. After we finished he told me you must drive your cue through on every shot. Think positive thoughts.
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

I feel your pain!!

After consistently knocking in 40 to 70 breaks and winning most games in the league, now struggling to pot a red again as feel I can't hit the point I am aiming at, soul destroying.

Took a video today and lifting head again on every stun / screw shot even though I think I'm not. I've been concentrating on the dominent eye thing and it probably wasn't that.

The only advice I can give (and heed myself) is have a lesson occassionaly to see if bad habits have crept back in or video the line up.

I remember a famous golfer (I think it was Greg Norman) who every year would go back to his coach and say teach me from the start).

Confidence will come with good form and that only comes with pure striking so I'd get someone to take a look.

Best of luck.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Try playing a couple of frames or even just a few dozen shots every now and again with your wrong hand..... because its so difficult(unless yr Ronnie), you will try to simplify things massively and thus rediscover that there is only really a couple of key things you need to incorporate,then transfer this simplified technique to playing with your proper hand.
            H.b.142

Comment

Working...
            X