Back to Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Basics

Ok So I had a snooker session last night and was really surprised that i have lost the feeling.

1 year ago, i had a different stance, cue grip, and cue action. After reading the books of Davis, Higgins and other many VDO's. I changed Everything and stuck to was i did not like.

I used to have a Bridge where the Palm of the hand was in the air (all to get my arm dead straight. Changed it as it should be better with a modernly bent arm and palm of hand on the table. (doing it naturally now.

the usual grip was always with the thumb facing to the body and not facing on the ground with the cueing arm angled so the elbow bends away from the body. Changed that, but having trouble with hitting the side of my hips now.

stance was also very strange. Spread legs with no foot on the line of aim (it was comfort) change the Stance to Modern square stance, but always moved the head away from the line of aim when going into the shot. changed it again for the Boxer stance. but having trouble with tensions i arm and straight leg.

So, if i am correct i should expand my stance wider to lossen up the tension and lean a bit forward. and many more things to advise?

(I keep on sweating as there was not aircon in the room and the 2 fans on the ceiling where not enough.

everything looks good, could do with seeing stance and cue action from behind. Also your bridge looks quite long. that looks 12-14 inches. recommendation is 9-12inches.

Comment

Slow down your final delivery! It's waaay too fast. And why are you hitting the balls so hard? Trying to demolish the tabel?

Also, your bridge is looong, this aint pool, i would advise to make it shorter.

I do like your stance though, maybe widen it a bit.
      Last edited by Omehenk; 23 April 2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Is your wrist turned under? Could be why your hitting your hip.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Your back arm looks slightly tucked in and not vertical, hard to tell from this perspective also as mentioned your wrist looks turned in, grip also appears very tight.

Comment

Thank you for the answers, But in the mean time i have done some several test on myself.
            Tension in the Stance - i had a lot of research on stances on the internet, Pics and VDO, looked at them from all sides. Figured out that I am over tensioning my stance i found that out by standing with back, arse and heel on a wall and going down for the shot.
            Presentation1.jpg
            when i have the time i will try this out at the snooker practise.
            getting this right should also take care of the hand hitting the hip as it makes the body automatically turn outward a few inches.

will have to get my wife to make some photos and vdo's when i am out on practise to see more.

(thank you for the Bride and yes will make it shorter in the future)
            Hitting balls hard, Still have to get used to making softer shots.

Comment

cmbrstefan:

The stance should be something very close to this. Your right foot directly on the line of aim of the cue with the cue directly over somewhere between the back of the toes and the front of the heel with the foot pointed outwards perhaps 20degrees.

The left leg should be bent sufficiently so you can get properly into the address position with the heel about 1 shoulder's width from the right heel. The foot could be either parallel to or a bit in front of the right foot and the left foot should also be pointed outwards around 20degrees or so.

Having either foot parallel to the line of aim as you show in your diagrams will put strain on your knee joint and perhaps the ankles too.

The other point is you should swing the hips to the left and back such that your weight is evenly distributed between both feet and this will clear the cue from the grip hand. There should be at least 2" between the back of the grip hand thumb and the pocket of your trousers.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                cmbrstefan:

The stance should be something very close to this. Your right foot directly on the line of aim of the cue with the cue directly over somewhere between the back of the toes and the front of the heel with the foot pointed outwards perhaps 20degrees.

The left leg should be bent sufficiently so you can get properly into the address position with the heel about 1 shoulder's width from the right heel. The foot could be either parallel to or a bit in front of the right foot and the left foot should also be pointed outwards around 20degrees or so.

Having either foot parallel to the line of aim as you show in your diagrams will put strain on your knee joint and perhaps the ankles too.

The other point is you should swing the hips to the left and back such that your weight is evenly distributed between both feet and this will clear the cue from the grip hand. There should be at least 2" between the back of the grip hand thumb and the pocket of your trousers.

Terry
                Hi Terry,

Thank you for the Suggestion, this has made me go and have another Practise session.
                - Results are, stance is feeling more comfortable the strain on the leg is better and is firm (Still having trouble to get the hip away as i have a habit of getting the whole leg on the line of aim so the cue glides under the whole chest down to the waist.) got better and need to make it more naturaly.

- my grip is crooked and the elbow going outwards from the body. So i had an Image of Ken Doherty in mind mind and applied it. This also helped me to straighten up the whole Cue arm to the Correct Angles.

- Straight Aiming was not a problem but i noticed that the CB did not hit the OB right (OB ball os going more left all the time) i realised that i always aim with both eyes down the shaft. So i used the Dominant eyes test. Doing that i found that i could see the object through the ring with the left Eye!!!
                Again noted and changed position of aim.

Result was Stance, Cue arm, Grip, Dominant Eye aim.... BANG i smiled potting ball that are straight... also angled and other are not potted or more near the pot than before.

Sorry i did not up the VDO as the room was as hot as ever and my shirt was all wet.

Going to meet my buddies in the next few days so hoping they will make VDO's for me. As they said I was Better before than now, due that i have made all wrong adjustments with out Proper help.

TSF is now my favourite forum where i really know that i can get better.

Thank you and i will keep on Updating on Progress.

Comment

Working...
                X