X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    I think Vmax is right Djax our club has a tin roof and no windows and the tables really laggy on those humid days, I will bet it will feel like a new cloth once the dehumidifier does its job.
    I'm certainly hoping so "Easy" I don't have a tin roof, but I also don't have any Windows (who needs them for playing snooker?) Today though was very heavy going, even with ironing the table beforehand. Humidity in the house was 75% and 83% in the room. Using a maple cue, I'm constantly having to wash my hands to prevent the cue dragging on my bridge. God knows how they manage in countries like Thailand?

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    I think Vmax is right Djax our club has a tin roof and no windows and the tables really laggy on those humid days, I will bet it will feel like a new cloth once the dehumidifier does its job.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    If anyone else wants to go down the SC route then make sure the balls you buy don't come in a box with a solid black top with "super crystalate" in small gold lettering. These are the Aramith sets that are actually made from phenolic resin, made in belgium is also a no, no for the same reason. Ask the seller the right questions before you buy, make sure you're getting the real McCoy.

I

djax

I'm surprised you need more effort to move the Sc balls around, I think it must be your table conditions, once that dehumidifier is up and running you should notice the difference is more than just less kicks. Warming the balls before a game is also recomended, makes them even more responsive.

I believe you're right on that point VMax, waiting for unit that's on order. But I also use a shorter cue 52" that could possibly be part of the reason. Don't get me wrong though, I prefer it. Feel I have more control of CB. Unlike the TC's that fly around the table.

Leave a comment:

• vmax4steve
    replied
    If anyone else wants to go down the SC route then make sure the balls you buy don't come in a box with a solid black top with "super crystalate" in small gold lettering. These are the Aramith sets that are actually made from phenolic resin, made in belgium is also a no, no for the same reason. Ask the seller the right questions before you buy, make sure you're getting the real McCoy.

djax

I'm surprised you need more effort to move the Sc balls around, I think it must be your table conditions, once that dehumidifier is up and running you should notice the difference is more than just less kicks. Warming the balls before a game is also recomended, makes them even more responsive.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
    Slightly heavier the person quoted, without reading back through the thread arent they generally lighter?
    Hope they play nice for you, reasonably cheap.
    Awaiting your review
    Set I got all balls are around 142 grams - White was 141.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyd100
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Just bought these to have a knock with.
    Sorry wrong link.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Crys...8AAOSw3YNXYQRk
    Slightly heavier the person quoted, without reading back through the thread arent they generally lighter?
    Hope they play nice for you, reasonably cheap.
    Awaiting your review

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Just bought these to have a knock with.
    Sorry wrong link.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Crys...8AAOSw3YNXYQRk
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 15 June 2016, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Much appreciated Cannon. Going to get onto it tomorrow, hope the rain holds off? As I will be shanking it. BTW, I'm now on a mission to acquire a couple of more sets of SC's, Hope we don't push the price up of them between us?

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    Originally Posted by djax View Post
    Bloody bell Cannonball, sometimes you don't see the wood for the tree's. Never crossed my mind - Dooh. Off tomorrow to sort one out. Thanks for your insight.

Ps. Hainsworth, even though new on, is quicker than Strachan, I was always a Strachan purchaser, gotta say it's the former for me from now on.
    Yeah man, don't forget to big up the CB rep! I've got a theory that 6811 combined with TC balls ain't helping anyone w.r.t. kicks but that's a minefield discussion on here!

Anyway, I've started thinking about it myself, as leaving the windows open at night ain't the best in Winter so I'm glad your post came up! I've found one of these, that may help dehumidify your room while you're playing, as the large dehumidifiers use compressers which will make noise, but this little chap uses different tech and is very quiet, just what we need at night and during snooker:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/electriq...skuId=223-4202

You can also get it from the appliances direct website for a couple of quid less. Maybe you could get both types. The latter only costs £35.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Your gas fire being left on is also contributing to the humidity level in the room. Get a dehumidifier and turn off the gas fire. If you need a little heat in there get yourself a small electrical heater. I run a dehumidifier in my fairly humid basement (in a separate snooker room) and the humidity will stay around 40-45% except in the winter time when it's very dry here and it will get down into the 25-30% range.

I hear you Terry, will act on your advice. Humidity levels in winter 25-30% Can only dream of those sort of figures here in Hull. Winter outside, will see levels average 70% rarely below if not higher. When Hull enjoys hot weather it's almost tropical. Having spent many years based in Singapore, I have much experience of comparing it too.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Your gas fire being left on is also contributing to the humidity level in the room. Get a dehumidifier and turn off the gas fire. If you need a little heat in there get yourself a small electrical heater. I run a dehumidifier in my fairly humid basement (in a separate snooker room) and the humidity will stay around 40-45% except in the winter time when it's very dry here and it will get down into the 25-30% range.
    I bought one last year and it's great. click here

Easy to control, no messing about with it, cheap and easy to empty.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Bloody bell Cannonball, sometimes you don't see the wood for the tree's. Never crossed my mind - Dooh. Off tomorrow to sort one out. Thanks for your insight.

Ps. Hainsworth, even though new on, is quicker than Strachan, I was always a Strachan purchaser, gotta say it's the former for me from now on.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I never knew this stuff about Hull, thanks. Yeah, we're all coming round to the idea of Hainsworth cloths mate. But what you've said is instructive nonetheless. Hairier Strachan cloths ain't the best anymore. Have you tried a de-humidifier in the room?

http://www.johnlewis.com/meaco-10l-d...=c&tmcampid=73

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    Cannonball, Hull has always had high humidity levels because of it's situ (large areas below sea level) However in my scenario, the snooker room is part of my outbuildings. On two sides, the land is higher than the room floor level. Giving I guess a basement effect, even though it's only about 3 feet higher. Except when it's very warm, I tend to leave the gas fire on in there all year round - on the lowest setting. Anyone, ideas on reducing moisture levels without having to resort to AC?

Ps. Table is covered with new Hainsworth Match for last 2 months. Less kicks than previous Strachan.
    I never knew this stuff about Hull, thanks. Yeah, we're all coming round to the idea of Hainsworth cloths mate. But what you've said is instructive nonetheless. Hairier Strachan cloths ain't the best anymore. Have you tried a de-humidifier in the room?

http://www.johnlewis.com/meaco-10l-d...=c&tmcampid=73

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    She's never held a cue in her life; knows nothing about the game. That's why her constant line 'can you put this win into context....' is so laughable.

@Djax, what you have written is very interesting. I didn't realise Hull was so humid; is this a basement?

VMax, do Aramith own the patent for actual SC ingredients? And when was the SC first patented?
    Cannonball, Hull has always had high humidity levels because of it's situ (large areas below sea level) However in my scenario, the snooker room is part of my outbuildings. On two sides, the land is higher than the room floor level. Giving I guess a basement effect, even though it's only about 3 feet higher. Except when it's very warm, I tend to leave the gas fire on in there all year round - on the lowest setting. Anyone, ideas on reducing moisture levels without having to resort to AC?

Ps. Table is covered with new Hainsworth Match for last 2 months. Less kicks than previous Strachan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X