Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesg19851
    replied
    Thanks for the game it was good to play against you, we don't get that many very good players in my club so it was good to see and a standard to aspire to. Thanks for that link, I can see the first challenge is to clear the colours off the spots. It's something that should in theory be easy but I know from previous practice that I do struggle with that. I'd try and provide video evidence but they might think it's odd in the snooker club, although I might be able to set up my mobile phone. Anyway I'm going to go down now for an hour or so, would go for longer but it's £7 an hour. Hopefully I'll be able to clear the colours more than once in a week.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
    Hi,

I've been playing for a while but not really improving. Part of the problem is that I have chronic headaches and I struggle to concentrate. I have the mindset that there's no point practising because I've got a headache and so therefore it's pointless as I'll play badly. However I want to see if it will help me by practising more, regardless of headaches.

Could someone recommend me a practise routine. At the moment I'm a regular 20 break player with the odd 30 and 40, but think I could get a lot better with more focus. Also how much do you need to practise?

Finally, I'm looking to play better players. I'm based in the west midlands and would like to play really good standard players as at the moment I'm playing people who are similar standard or worse. Is there anyone in the west midlands area that would like a game? Thanks
    Cheers for the game on Saturday James, was good to meet another TSF member. You caught me on a good day, I've not scored that well since I've had problems with a slipped disc. If you do plenty of solo practice using the routines I showed you it should help your game improve and give you more confidence playing frames.

Take a look at the routines as well that tedisbill has done for Les Edwards.

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...allenge-Thread
    Last edited by markz; 26 September 2016, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Yes, I have them 24/7, although recently they have been better as I have found ways to manage them, so I'm confident the headache may be gone in the future. I've found that playing snooker makes them a bit worse due to the way you have to flex your neck, but this has been better since I saw a coach and he corrected my stance. I now stand with feet wider apart which eases the pain in my neck.

When my headaches are milder the difference in my game is huge. I feel more relaxed, confident and can focus better. Thanks, yes it would be good to play some better players, in my club you don't really get regular 50 break players.
    I saw an allergist once to help get rid of some of the headaches. Among a few things I had to cut out food wise I was allergic to Natural Gas; who did I work for, yep British Gas, couldn't write it!

It was worth the visit though as it got rid of a lot of the headaches and helps you understand why you're getting them so that may be worth a go jamesg19851 if you're not sure what's causing them.

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied
    Hi James, where abouts are you based? I'm in Nuneaton near Coventry and sometimes travel over to Wolverhampton to give Markz a game. May be able to have a knock sometime?

Can't help you with the headaches but in terms of practice i'd just say play whenever you feel up to it. I've always found that practicing when you can focus is worthwhile but any other time is a waste of time.

P.S I won't ever moan about playing with a hangover again!
    Cheers

tom

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Yes, I have them 24/7, although recently they have been better as I have found ways to manage them, so I'm confident the headache may be gone in the future. I've found that playing snooker makes them a bit worse due to the way you have to flex your neck, but this has been better since I saw a coach and he corrected my stance. I now stand with feet wider apart which eases the pain in my neck.

When my headaches are milder the difference in my game is huge. I feel more relaxed, confident and can focus better. Thanks, yes it would be good to play some better players, in my club you don't really get regular 50 break players.
    Feel for you with the headaches mate, had them for years but luckily don't get too many nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• jamesg19851
    replied

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Have a look at the Les Edwards practice routines thread that tedisbill started. There are plenty of good routines to keep you going.
    West Midlands is still decent for getting a game of snooker, usually pick up a game even if you turn up on your own. Try get over to goldencue Bilston or check the West Midlands snooker league site for all the clubs that have teams.
    I'd happily give you a knock James, I'm based in Wolverhampton. Pm if you want and try sort something.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Do you have the headaches when you play as if you do I'm not surprised you can't concentrate, can't be easy.

We've discussed headaches and playing in past threads and some things to help but depends why and when you get them.

Must be a few players can sort you out in the Midlands.....

Leave a comment:

• jamesg19851
    started a topic Practise tips

Practise tips

Hi,

I've been playing for a while but not really improving. Part of the problem is that I have chronic headaches and I struggle to concentrate. I have the mindset that there's no point practising because I've got a headache and so therefore it's pointless as I'll play badly. However I want to see if it will help me by practising more, regardless of headaches.

Could someone recommend me a practise routine. At the moment I'm a regular 20 break player with the odd 30 and 40, but think I could get a lot better with more focus. Also how much do you need to practise?

Finally, I'm looking to play better players. I'm based in the west midlands and would like to play really good standard players as at the moment I'm playing people who are similar standard or worse. Is there anyone in the west midlands area that would like a game? Thanks
Working...
X