Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I'm not sure if you've read the book, or seen the video, but the harder you hit the ball, the wider it goes, so therefore, it's advisable not to hit the ball too hard as you will miss.

In terms of side, you need to aim thicker on OB to allow to compensate for the throw on shots with extreme side...But the side we are talking about on "normal" pots is only a trace, half a tip, so makes very little difference....I know cos I have been testing it out for last two weeks...
    I may be wrong , but i think you're talking about striking the CB in sweet spot area ?

Comment

Seen a few of these vids last year.
      Im sorry to say it's the biggest load of s#### I've ever watched regarding snooker on YouTube.

Comment

Just watched the video on walking Into the shot ....I might just be thick but it looks to me like he is teaching a txt book method but describing it differently .

He says put cue on hip and stand behind shot so you can see the angle ....walk onto shot and the cue will be off line (but body will be online ) . As you get down the hips move and cue goes online .

Is this not just the way we are all taught ? ....i.e. Feet together right foot on line of shot before or during walk in (this means your hip is to the right of the shot , just like in Roy's video ) as you get down place your cue on the potting line .

The only difference I see is that he put the cue down at and angle and then straightens it ...whilst most players ,straighten it on the way down .

Comment

Do you think his cue is pointing down the line or coming in from the side?
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Do you think his cue is pointing down the line or coming in from the side?

Looks to me like it's coming from right to left . So the centre of his body is online with the shot as normal and he walks into the shot as normal . He puts the cue down keeping the hand on his hip which means the butt is off line to right but tip is at centre white . The then gets down and as he twists his hips the hand holding the butt pulls across with the hips To be online .

The only difference is see from a normal walk in is that most players hold the cue across the body while walking in and swing it onto the line as they are dropping down

Just how it looks to me

Comment

Group coaching packages are available, limited spaces. Going to be some fighting in this thread :angel:

Comment

Spoke to the coach I have for lessons - who effectively backed up Roy's thoughts in the book on hitting cue ball dead centre...

He said this: "Hitting centre ball (no side) every time is not impossible but really tough...esp over distance and power."

He goes on to say he knows a few pros who can only pot a shot USING a trace of side and NOT plain ball...

Think this shows Roy Chisholm knows what he is talking about and I've had it confirmed by a Grade A World Snooker coach...
                Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Spoke to the coach I have for lessons - who effectively backed up Roy's thoughts in the book on hitting cue ball dead centre...

He said this: "Hitting centre ball (no side) every time is not impossible but really tough...esp over distance and power."

He goes on to say he knows a few pros who can only pot a shot USING a trace of side and NOT plain ball...

Think this shows Roy Chisholm knows what he is talking about and I've had it confirmed by a Grade A World Snooker coach...
                  I know a few decent players who say they can only play if they are using little side on every shot .

Comment

Originally Posted by Dredd46 View Post
                    Group coaching packages are available, limited spaces. Going to be some fighting in this thread :angel:
                    Sounds like it could be a hoot

Yeah the walk in is definitely due to his body idiosyncracies: which if people share will benefit from....

I'll give the half a tip off-centre CB striking a go today - it is running\helping side?

Comment

told ya....

Comment

to some extent I can agree with adding a TRACE of side on certain shots to help with position or the pot.
                        however I disagree with how he says always play with side and aim to miss by aiming at the jaw and then as the [power is increased you aim even further away from the pocket.

all I can say I have tried it and it doesn't work. the ones that do are the pocket pace pots with a trace of side , because the cueball doesn't push off as much
                        Last edited by alabadi; 20 July 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          to some extent I can agree with adding a TRACE of side on certain shots to help with position or the pot.
                          however I disagree with how he says always play with side and aim to miss by aiming at the jaw and then as the [power is increased you aim even further away from the pocket.all I can say I have tried it and it doesn't work. the ones that do are the pocket pace pots with a trace of side , because the cueball doesn't push off as much
                          I disagree.

I've tried it and it works well for me. Before, I was always fixated with aiming directly at the pocket and as soon as I ignored the pocket and focused either side and more on object ball contact points - my potting skyrocketed!

All I can say as Roy says in the book, is get the approach right and you are well on the way to potting more. This system totally works for me. As I say, you have to find a technique that suits you IMHO and if it works keep doing what works.

In anything, it's about what works for you, NOT what is popular or textbook. Just because the textbook says do this, doesn't mean it will necessarily suit everyone. There isn't a one size fits all in snooker IMHO....

Comment

I disagree.

I've tried it and it works well for me. Before, I was always fixated with aiming directly at the pocket and as soon as I ignored the pocket and focused either side and more on object ball contact points - my potting skyrocketed!

all I can say if you were aiming for the pocket and missing and now aiming outside and potting you were picking the wrong line.
                            no professional or coach would tell you to aim outside of the pocket. it doesn't make sense.

what the will say is aim to pot where you have the greatest margin of error. then its upto you to pick the correct contact point and from there the correct line to make that pot.

Roy advocates aiming outside the jaw which in my opinion is wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                              all I can say if you were aiming for the pocket and missing and now aiming outside and potting you were picking the wrong line.
                              no professional or coach would tell you to aim outside of the pocket. it doesn't make sense.

what the will say is aim to pot where you have the greatest margin of error. then its upto you to pick the correct contact point and from there the correct line to make that pot.

Roy advocates aiming outside the jaw which in my opinion is wrong

I am seeing my coach for a lesson tomorrow who is going to explain aiming re pockets so it will be interesting what his comments are....

I still don't discount Chisholm as his methods seem to have worked so far, but that is why I don't just read one book on the subject and take it as Gospel, I try to read all the books get all the facts and opinions and then decide for my self what really works....

Comment

I am seeing my coach for a lesson tomorrow who is going to explain aiming re pockets so it will be interesting what his comments are....

I still don't discount Chisholm as his methods seem to have worked so far, but that is why I don't just read one book on the subject and take it as Gospel, I try to read all the books get all the facts and opinions and then decide for my self what really works....
                                Which has helped more? A few months using Nic Barrows aim frame or a couple of weeks using Roys book?

Comment

Working...
                                X