Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada Launches Snooker Coaching Certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canada Launches Snooker Coaching Certification

    Snooker Coaching Certification Course - 2018

    http://www.snookercanada.ca/2018/01/...urse-launches/

  • #2
    These people : Snooker Canada. Are the only people that are doing anything for Snooker in Canada. The CBSA is a joke run by a guy who makes sure the Canadian championships are always in his club. Look what Snooker Canada is doing ALL across Canada! Keep up the good work Snooker Canada.

    Comment


    • #3
      bob1:

      Not really fair to The Corner Bank and John White as the Canadian Championships solicit bids for holding them but no other clubs wish to pay the price (it's expensive) plus the facilities there are top notch. I agree Snooker Canada is developing snooker across Canada and the CBSA seems to be lacking in this regard. I have in the past offered my services as Head Coach and hold classes to train coaches to the IBSF standard but the CBSA never took it up.

      I know the CBSA is looking at different formats and pricing models to see if they can increase the popularity but it seems to me that pool is overtaking the interest in snooker.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        bob1:

        Not really fair to The Corner Bank and John White as the Canadian Championships solicit bids for holding them but no other clubs wish to pay the price (it's expensive) plus the facilities there are top notch. I agree Snooker Canada is developing snooker across Canada and the CBSA seems to be lacking in this regard. I have in the past offered my services as Head Coach and hold classes to train coaches to the IBSF standard but the CBSA never took it up.

        I know the CBSA is looking at different formats and pricing models to see if they can increase the popularity but it seems to me that pool is overtaking the interest in snooker.

        So offer your "services" to Snooker Canada!!

        Since you have mentioned his Name what has John white or his establishment done for Snooker across Canada? I agree with you that the CBSA is "lacking", Lacking is being very generous they have done nothing Nation Wide. Especially compared to Snooker Canada. As should eventually happen Snooker Canada will and should be the governing body for Snooker in Canada some day. And hopefully soon! Why has White or his business partner not worked at all with Snooker Canada especially when Snooker Canada started? You would think his business partner , who you know, was a main tour ranked player . They refused to work with Snooker Canada from the very beginning.

        All I would suggest to any of our fellow Forum members is go to the CBSA site , if it is operating, and the Snooker Canada site and compare to see who is trying to Grow the Sport of snooker in Canada.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
          So offer your "services" to Snooker Canada!!

          Since you have mentioned his Name what has John white or his establishment done for Snooker across Canada? I agree with you that the CBSA is "lacking", Lacking is being very generous they have done nothing Nation Wide. Especially compared to Snooker Canada. As should eventually happen Snooker Canada will and should be the governing body for Snooker in Canada some day. And hopefully soon! Why has White or his business partner not worked at all with Snooker Canada especially when Snooker Canada started? You would think his business partner , who you know, was a main tour ranked player . They refused to work with Snooker Canada from the very beginning.

          All I would suggest to any of our fellow Forum members is go to the CBSA site , if it is operating, and the Snooker Canada site and compare to see who is trying to Grow the Sport of snooker in Canada.
          I have done so but in the interim we formed an new Ontario Association and couldn't. Remember, the CBSA is responsible for ALL cue sports in Canada but Snooker Canada is only interested in snooker plus the CBSA is constrained by having to work through Provincial Associations and all these have to be run by volunteers and there are some provinces with no Associations or else ones that do little. Check out our OBSA Snooker website at ontariosnooker,club and you will see we are quite active, holding 10 tournaments at various locations through the season.

          I don't know who you are but I have to ask what you are doing to support snooker and either Snooker Canada or the CBSA. Do you play in our tournaments or in the Snooker Canada ones, are you a referee or are you planning on taking the coaching course offered by Snooker Canada. It's easy to sit back and criticize but a lot harder to get out there and participate.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

          Comment


          • #6
            I stumbled on this thread while trying to sort out who the governing or sanctioning body for snooker in Ontario is.

            Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            are you a referee or are you planning on taking the coaching course offered by Snooker Canada.
            I'm trying to take a referee's clinic as soon as possible, but which one?

            Snooker Canada has two clinics in March; one in Vancouver and one in Toronto, both with Michaela Tabb. I've spoken to the chap at Snooker Canada. I get the impression that he is happy to work with CBSA and the Referee's Association for Canadian Cue Sports (RACCS).

            I've also received an email reply from the head referee at RACCS, suggesting he might offer a clinic soon. He also said that his, i.e. RACCS', is the only certification that is valid outside of events sanctioned by Snooker Canada. If I interpret this correctly, it suggests that CBSA and RACCS are aligned.

            Then there's the Ontario Snooker Club, which the member I quoted seems to be an organizer of. OSC has a schedule of events and the most current web presence.

            I get the impression that Snooker in Canada, and in Ontario in particular, is fragmented. I was hoping this would be a simple process, but it seems I have to sort out "who's who in the zoo" before I can go forward.

            My question then becomes, can someone please tell me who promotes snooker by way of organizing tournaments in Southwestern Ontario and who they look to for referees? I can chase down the second part if I know the answer to the first.
            Chris from Canada

            Comment


            • #7
              You can get officially referee certified through Kevin Patrick (don't know where I came up with Brian Watson), who is the head referee for Canada and works under the CBSA umbrella. The CBSA is the only snooker body in Canada recognized by the IBSF and the World Snooker Association (WSA). Snooker Canada is working to improve snooker participation across Canada and more power to them.

              For your referee certification Michaela Tabb is not allowed to certify referees in Canada (under CBSA and IBSF rules) and your certificate will account for nothing except I imagine with Snooker Canada tournaments. You would not be allowed to referee in OBSA or CBSA tournaments. (I know this because I was certified in Las Vegas by a pro referee from Britain (Hugh Brown) but I am not allowed to referee any CBSA sanctioned tournaments in Canada).

              In Ontario visit the website 'ontariosnooker.club' and see just how active the OBSA/OSC is through the season. The OSC gets up to 70 players for their tournaments but unfortunately have to limit entries in some of them due to the number of tables in the host venue. Contact Presley Bacchus or Les Edwards for more info or else register online for the next tournament which is January 12 at the Monte Carlo. The OSC only accepts online registrations.
              Last edited by Terry Davidson; 20th December 2018, 02:26 PM.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for replying, Terry, and so promptly, too.

                From the CBSA site, I see Kevin Patrick listed as head referee. I have an email conversation going with him about it.
                Chris from Canada

                Comment


                • #9
                  You are right You don't know me. But don't assume I am not involved in any aspects of snooker. The point I was trying to make is that Snooker Canada is doing a lot more for snooker in Canada then the CBSA. Don't be so sensitive. For a guy , like you who likes to cut people down you are pretty thin skinned! IN regards to the last post both Snooker Canada and CBSA do not work together and that is entirely the CBSA's fault. Since you are so heavily involved in snooker it is interesting that your own organization won't even nominate you to any Director positions in previous elections. Do You ever wonder why? I will answer that question for you. Because you are difficult to deal with.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    blimey you Canadians are sensitive

                    ask a question, make a statement, and get accused of "assuming" things and insulting people!?

                    Terry did not sound sensitive, Bob1 was not accused

                    It is funny how different people read the same words differently

                    peace
                    Up the TSF!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
                      You are right You don't know me. But don't assume I am not involved in any aspects of snooker. The point I was trying to make is that Snooker Canada is doing a lot more for snooker in Canada then the CBSA. Don't be so sensitive. For a guy , like you who likes to cut people down you are pretty thin skinned! IN regards to the last post both Snooker Canada and CBSA do not work together and that is entirely the CBSA's fault. Since you are so heavily involved in snooker it is interesting that your own organization won't even nominate you to any Director positions in previous elections. Do You ever wonder why? I will answer that question for you. Because you are difficult to deal with.
                      A couple of things you might not be aware of. I like to know who I'm talking to rather than having to deal with an anonymous critic. I have never said anything against Snooker Canada that I remember and I agree that they are adding to snooker interest in Canada. As far as I know I'm not sensitive and like to cut people down and you are the first person who has told me that. The CBSA is the recognized body for snooker in Canada under international bodies, not Snooker Canada but I respect what Snooker Canada is doing. There were some differences of opinion between the 2 bodies (CBSA/SC) which made it difficult for them to work together.

                      As for your last statement, I was President of the OBSA for 10 years, working with Odie Willit and I have been President of the OBSA-OSC since it was formed some 4 years ago (not sure what you mean by 'Director' positions as there are none on the snooker side) and in fact it was Les Edwards and myself who conceived of and formed the new snooker organization for Ontario. So I guess since I've held a 'director's' position for over 14 years perhaps you should change your opinion to 'easy to deal with' rather than 'difficult to deal with'.

                      The reason I figured you are not involved with any of the official snooker organizations and don't participate is because there are facts which you don't know and you sometimes rail against some things which aren't true. If you are from Ontario then join the OBSA-OSC and play in one of our tournaments. There's one coming up January 12th at Monte Carlo and you can go to 'ontariosnooker.club' for details and registration. This would give you a look at what's being done from the inside rather than having to rely on rumours or wherever you're getting your 'facts' from.

                      By the way, I have retired from both playing and 'directing' snooker and have even given up coaching. This is all due to my health rather than not holding an office or being hard to deal with.
                      Last edited by Terry Davidson; 20th December 2018, 02:42 PM.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi Terry , that's a shame that you are unable to play anymore . Hope your health improves .
                        Neil

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Best wishes for the new year TD.
                          sigpicNo cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X