Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grip when keeping elbow high

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grip when keeping elbow high

    Hi,
    I'm changing my cue action since i've always dropped my elbow and moved my shoulder way in to the shot causing me to miss often due to not cueing straight.
    If i (try to) keep my elbow high i noticed that i'm way more solid on my long game and every shot seems to be more precise.
    1 thing i've noticed is that when i cue like this my grip becomes up front. It's like i cue with my thumb, index-finger and middle finger. My ring finger and pinkie doesn't seem to be a part of my grip.
    Is this normal?

    Also, is there a way to be consistent in keeping elbow up? I've read that fixing the shoulder would be good but don't know how to do this.

  • #2
    Have you tried being comfortable in your stance?
    Try finding a posture / stance you find comfortable. You'll know what that is when more balls are pocketed.
    Don't worry how your stance looks or appears to others. If the balls are pocketed then do not concern yourself with physician technique.

    If you can't pocket balls no matter what position your stance is, then I'd advise you go to a coach and start from scratch.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally Posted by Staezione View Post
      Hi,
      I'm changing my cue action since i've always dropped my elbow and moved my shoulder way in to the shot causing me to miss often due to not cueing straight.
      If i (try to) keep my elbow high i noticed that i'm way more solid on my long game and every shot seems to be more precise.
      1 thing i've noticed is that when i cue like this my grip becomes up front. It's like i cue with my thumb, index-finger and middle finger. My ring finger and pinkie doesn't seem to be a part of my grip.
      Is this normal?

      Also, is there a way to be consistent in keeping elbow up? I've read that fixing the shoulder would be good but don't know how to do this.
      Hi Staezione, in same shoe of yours. I've been consciously hinging my right shoulder(RH player) in order to keep stability. Believe me, if you force right shoulder alone to lift, your grip would be formed as you described because basically you just raised your whole right arm to lock the deltoid muscle it would be tension on your hand if you try to touch palm with cue. I believe all coaches here like vmax or Terry have already given their ideas in posts how to make that happen.
      Instead of raising your right part(assuming you are RH) of right hand, arm, shoulders, you need to low down your left side of stance. IE, bend left leg to feel the coil of your left hips, which would make you further stay low. Straighten your left arms more so your left arm pit would naturally close to your face, which also subsequently and naturally BRING YOUR RIGHT SHOULDER BEHIND YOUR HEAD. Then you would feel your right shoulder feels high and locked.

      I've used to force right shoulder to lift and lock which made cueing not parallel. Never do it. Form is always a integrated part, change somewhere else may make a big impact to overall feeling.

      As to grip, I ain't expert and also tinkled a lot. The most important thing is the loose. If you use thumb+IF+MF, by all means to use them. Try to focus them seamlessly with your hand V flesh part but with least pressure while you can focus to maintain three finger and open rest of 2 finger at backswing without changing the configuration. Actually configuration shouldn't change once you get down and decide to start the feather.

      I am also a beginner just some thoughts I had when I deal with shoulder feeling...

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Guys,
        Believe when I type... You're over thinking this way too much!
        This thread will read more like a game of Twister than Snooker.
        But if part of having your snooker fun is to over think everything - then so be it...
        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019
        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally Posted by Staezione View Post
          Also, is there a way to be consistent in keeping elbow up? I've read that fixing the shoulder would be good but don't know how to do this.
          Shorten the follow through, let the stroke naturally stop when the grip hand closes completely instead of forcing it through further. To help with this keep the grip hand slightly open with forearm just behind the vertical at the address point so that the grip closes completely after the cue ball has been struck to prevent that occasional end of stroke grip tightening wobble on the strike itself. Watch Barry Hawkins for a perfect execution of this technique.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            Shorten the follow through, let the stroke naturally stop when the grip hand closes completely instead of forcing it through further. To help with this keep the grip hand slightly open with forearm just behind the vertical at the address point so that the grip closes completely after the cue ball has been struck to prevent that occasional end of stroke grip tightening wobble on the strike itself. Watch Barry Hawkins for a perfect execution of this technique.
            Thanks for the tip!

            Comment


            • #7
              One more thing...you asked about your ring finger and baby finger and they should not be part of the grip until near the end of the delivery.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                One more thing...you asked about your ring finger and baby finger and they should not be part of the grip until near the end of the delivery.
                Agree. But one time I asked Gary Wilson about his Grip. His only comment is loose + keep ring finger on the cue !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, since i had to think to much during my shot i've decided to play again like i was used to (dropping my elbow). The only thing i'll keep my focus on is bend my 2 legs (since i'm 6 ft 10) and dropping my cue at delevery.

                  Also i try to stop my cue action when my grip is closed however on some powershots i still am driving my grip past and around my chest.

                  I've managed to make a 55 break and a couple of 30+ breaks this afternoon.

                  Only thing i am not confident in is my long game.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    six feet ten inches tall, WOW, how long is your cue ?
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      six feet ten inches tall, WOW, how long is your cue ?

                      Hehehe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        six feet ten inches tall, WOW, how long is your cue ?
                        I was thinking that! I would be interested as that would make a difference to technique.
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                          six feet ten inches tall, WOW, how long is your cue ?
                          I mean 6 ft 1 inch

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally Posted by Staezione View Post
                            I mean 6 ft 1 inch
                            Got all excited for nothing! I thought you were gonna come back with a cue that is 66" long.

                            Sounds like an interesting one for a new thread.
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
                              Agree. But one time I asked Gary Wilson about his Grip. His only comment is loose + keep ring finger on the cue !
                              The tips of the 3rd and 4th (baby) finger should be just touching the cue in the neutral or address position.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X