Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practice Routines for making a cue action consistent - eliminating Shoulder movement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Routines for making a cue action consistent - eliminating Shoulder movement.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any practice routines to develop and maintain a consistent cue action?

My usual go to is a random difficulty of red sequence and just replace the balls I miss.

I have developed some good habits and have gotten rid of some bad ones, but they seem to creep up. For e.g. the cue arm shoulder seems to get involved messing up my elbow/grip. Not realizing this is happening, the mind tries to correct it (with some success, mostly failure or cueing across or decelerating or just plain bad shots).

Question:

Do you know of any routines that exclusively focus on cue action consistency? I know that I can do the same routines that I do but be more mindful and focus on every shot to make sure I dont do this.

But do you know any routines that help with eliminating the shoulder out of the cue action?

Thanks,

AJ

Originally Posted by arsalanjami View Post
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any practice routines to develop and maintain a consistent cue action?

My usual go to is a random difficulty of red sequence and just replace the balls I miss.

I have developed some good habits and have gotten rid of some bad ones, but they seem to creep up. For e.g. the cue arm shoulder seems to get involved messing up my elbow/grip. Not realizing this is happening, the mind tries to correct it (with some success, mostly failure or cueing across or decelerating or just plain bad shots).

Question:

Do you know of any routines that exclusively focus on cue action consistency? I know that I can do the same routines that I do but be more mindful and focus on every shot to make sure I dont do this.

But do you know any routines that help with eliminating the shoulder out of the cue action?

Thanks,

AJ
    Set up a dead straight green into it's own pocket from three feet away, or yellow if you're a lefty. Place a ball six inches in front of the cue ball, a ball and a halfs width to the side of the line of aim, and one six inches behind the cue ball, also a balls and a halfs width to the side of the line of aim.

Take stance and play a series of stun shots to hold the green/yellow spot by bringing the tip of the cue back to the ball behind and following through no further than the ball in front. Increase incrementally to maximum power while striving to hold the green/yellow spot, see how much to the side of the spot the cue ball moves to determine accuracy of strike.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Sounds good. I ll give it a go tomorrow; Thanks!

Comment

I tried the yellow ball drill for 50+ shots and was initially unable to hold the cue ball in the spot with the restricted backswing (I usually go 8-12 inches). But after about shot 10 12, I began to pot the yellow at various speeds (stun, soft screw depending on speed) while holding the spot of being within an inch of the spot.

I am left handed and tried to do the same with the green ball for which i was reaching quite a bit every shot but I managed to get that side down pretty much after 6 7 shots. I then tried this on the pink which was tough as I my bridge was right over the pocket making the shot awkward but was successful here as well.

It was boring initially but then I forgot about it and just focused on every shot.

After this I did my usual of line up with some variance and missed about 5-7 shots in 4 lineups and had to move the balls around a few times if a red was tied up.

I then setup a normal frame at the end and proceeded to clear the table with 2 shots missed after playing multiple cannons and pack splits from black spot.

Great routine to get that white ball in control.

Now if i can do 25% of this in a match that would be awesome lol.

Comment

Well done, the genesis of something repeatable that will pay dividends in the long term if you let it become habit. The initial restriction on the follow through to only six inches stops the upper arm drop before the strike leading to better accuracy on the delivery stroke and the induced restricted backswing makes you aware of pulling the cue back so that you don't just play from the address position straight from the shoulder.
          This short cue action is great when in the balls and a longer one can be cultivated the same way to grow your power game without believing you have to throw the cue at the cue ball with everything you've got.
          Once you've got both going you mix and match as and when needed.
          Last edited by vmax; 31 January 2019, 07:43 PM.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks Vmax - much appreciated.

Comment

Now, just to ruin everyone's day...once you feel you are delivering the cue straight try this exercise. Place 3 reds against the top cushion with the centre red directly behind the black spot the move the 2 outside reds out about 1/8" and remove the centre ball. Place cueball on brown spot and attempt to his the top cushion between the 2 reds with out disturbing them. This must be done at medium pace of better.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                Now, just to ruin everyone's day...once you feel you are delivering the cue straight try this exercise. Place 3 reds against the top cushion with the centre red directly behind the black spot the move the 2 outside reds out about 1/8" and remove the centre ball. Place cueball on brown spot and attempt to his the top cushion between the 2 reds with out disturbing them. This must be done at medium pace of better.
                Nowhere near a table but the thought of this has ruined my day! I will give this a go though Terry.

Comment

just visualise Terry's face in the gap!
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks guys. I am sure this will help many others when they read it.

I am lucky enough to have a snooker table near work so I can practice for 45mins or so 4 days a week which definitely helps.

I ll give this a go today!

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      Set up a dead straight green into it's own pocket from three feet away, or yellow if you're a lefty. Place a ball six inches in front of the cue ball, a ball and a halfs width to the side of the line of aim, and one six inches behind the cue ball, also a balls and a halfs width to the side of the line of aim.

Take stance and play a series of stun shots to hold the green/yellow spot by bringing the tip of the cue back to the ball behind and following through no further than the ball in front. Increase incrementally to maximum power while striving to hold the green/yellow spot, see how much to the side of the spot the cue ball moves to determine accuracy of strike.
                      Please can you explain this exercise more or make a picture so I can get any detail of it ? thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X