Glove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    I got one for the summer and liked it so much I started using it all the time, that was over ten years ago, can't play without one now, feel naked keeps the cue clean also.
    I don't like the fingerless ones as they allow the skin of the fingers to touch the shaft when bridging off the cushion rail.
    If you play with a maple shaft, which is smoother than ash, it's a definate help.
    You can make your own by cutting down a white cotton 'dress glove', which is what we had to do back in the day, before they started selling snooker / pool gloves. You keep the thumb intact, and for the index & forefingers, just remove the tips of the glove. Cut away as much of the rest of the material as you can without the glove falling apart. This allows free cuting without any skin touching the shaft, even when bridging off the cushion rail (although if you use a loop bridge when your hand is on the bed of the table, it can be a bit hit or miss). You also have a firm 'grip' with your bridge as all 4 finger tips are in contact with the baize.

Comment

Go for it if you have extremely sweaty hands.
      Glove is not very popular in snooker, I doubt it will ever be, unless a champion level snooker player starts using it exclusively. It think it would literally have to be Ronnie himself. Then people would simply copy for no reason whatsoever.

That's exactly what happened at 9ball.
      Some 15 years ago or so when I played regular 9ball, the glove wasn't as popular as it is today. I'd say that less than 10% of players used it. Some were even ridiculed if the glove was of a particular colour

But nowadays when I play in a tournament, majority of serious players are using it. Yes, even those who have ridiculed it in the past. For me, very strange to see.
      When I ask the players what had changed, none give a clear answer. For years you could slide the cue normally, but now all of the sudden you can't? Come on.
      About 10 years ago give or take new champion level player from USA rose to the top who was always seen using the glove constantly. At first he was mostly alone, but as time went by he kept excellent winning percentage, and then even his direct competitors started to copy the glove thing. They should have copied his break off instead.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
        Glove is not very popular in snooker, I doubt it will ever be, unless a champion level snooker player starts using it exclusively. It think it would literally have to be Ronnie himself. Then people would simply copy for no reason whatsoever.
        I think you are right. There was a club that I used to play at in the late 1980s which had quite a few players who wore gloves. There was no logical reason for this - it was Watford, not Florida. But the resident pro there used a glove, he was the best player, so others copied him.

I was not immune from this sort of influence either; I got a glove and tried it out but never really got on with it. I kept it though for rare occasions when it was hot and humid or my cue shaft was dirty.

When I moved to a different club a few years later, there was no glove wearing resident pro, so nobody to copy, and nobody wore a glove. I remember winning a competition there one particuarly hot summer day and thinking that the only reason that I won was that I had a glove and the other competitors were struggling with sticky cues.

Playing at a club with decent air con is another solution of course....

Comment

I carry a towel, to wipe my cue, and if necessary my hand. Never have a problem with a sticky cute. Generally that's only something that happens if the cue is dirty.

I would hate to wear a glove. Would just feel uncomfortable.

Maybe it's my generation (and location - UK), but I've never played a good player who has used a glove.

I play in a snooker club that is baking hot at this time of year. Sweat like a pig. No sticking cue trouble. No players wearing a glove.

Comment

Originally Posted by tony9ball68 View Post
            Gloves can help and are popular in American pool. I used 1 once when my hands were too sticky, but I didn't get on with it as I could not feel the shot the same. However definitely worth a try. I tend to dampen one corner of cue towel nowadays and wipe cue/hand when necessary
            Agree with that. I'm trying to understand worth it or not in comparison with pool. Sorry for up, but isn't it better for me to try it by myself or there are any reputable opinions?

Comment

Originally Posted by Frank223 View Post
              Agree with that. I'm trying to understand worth it or not in comparison with pool. Sorry for up, but isn't it better for me to try it by myself or there are any reputable opinions?
              You can get cheap ones on Amazon for a few quid, so easy and cheap to try. I have one in my case for if I get really hot and sweaty.

Comment

Working...
              X