No announcement yet.

neck/shoulder muscle stiffening/aching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can be a sign of disc or nerve problems but on most occasions it is a repetitive stress injury. As Terry says, there is an imbalance to the muscles being used. I would recommend trying a few stretches and even playing a while left handed to even it out.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

jonathan:

Unless you have some kind of disc problem, there should be nothing in a proper snooker set-up which initiates pain.

I would recommend you either see a coach or else get some coaching videos or books and check your set-up and see if you are doing something not recommended, like thrusting the left arm out straight and keeping it tight like an iron rod (which was recommended by Joe Davis years ago) as today the left (bridge) arm is bent a little and more relaxed but has about 10% of the body weight on it and the bridge hand.

The most important part of this is to never do anything in your set-up which causes discomfort. You should be comfortable in your stance and set-up.

To check this, get down into your address position and STAY THERE for 2 minutes and see if one part of your body starts to complain or you start getting pain. Repeat this same exercise with the cue back at the end of the backswing in the rear pause position.

If you are getting discomfort or strain then close your eyes and adjust your body until the discomfort or strain is relieved.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I have found when I'm cueing badly I always end up with shoulder ache. I often wonder what's causing it. I have a hunch it's connected with unwanted body movement and trying to get the Joe Davis line of tension.

Other days when I'm good and relaxed in my stance and my cue arm is working well, I could play all night!

Comment

I suffered really badly a few years ago and nearly had to stop playing completely.

As well as severe neck pain (which turned out to be compress C6-7 which had caused arthritis!) I got severe pain in my elbow and shoulder which also caused the elbow to actually "judder"- That was diagnosed as Tendonitis

The wanted to do an operation. I declined.

Because of the neck pain I had to square up my stance (originally I'd been groomed into the Karenhem (broken hip!) stance

By squaring up I seemed to take a lot of pressure off shoulder, neck etc. I found my neck wasn't quite so "compressed" down on the shot and I was able to play without so much discomfort.

Now if someone wants to pay for the Laser treatment I could get my eyes fixed and maybe find my way to a table again!
          Janie Watkins
          On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
          All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

Originally Posted by JanieWatkins View Post
            I suffered really badly a few years ago and nearly had to stop playing completely.

As well as severe neck pain (which turned out to be compress C6-7 which had caused arthritis!) I got severe pain in my elbow and shoulder which also caused the elbow to actually "judder"- That was diagnosed as Tendonitis

The wanted to do an operation. I declined.

Because of the neck pain I had to square up my stance (originally I'd been groomed into the Karenhem (broken hip!) stance

By squaring up I seemed to take a lot of pressure off shoulder, neck etc. I found my neck wasn't quite so "compressed" down on the shot and I was able to play without so much discomfort.

Now if someone wants to pay for the Laser treatment I could get my eyes fixed and maybe find my way to a table again!
            Hi Janie
            Some years ago I suffered from Tennis Elbow (Tendinitis) in both elbows at the same time
            After years of going to the doctor for 1) injection - only one elbow (just in case) which worked for one month then the pain came back, 2) laser treatment - which for me did nothing, 3) physio - again no joy. So I used one of those magnet bracelets which helped keep the pain to a sufferable level.
            The after years of wearing the bracelet, a chance meeting with an old friend who mentioned acupuncture. I spoke to my doctor and I subsequently had five treatments and have not had any pain since
            I do still have a "yip" or judder in the cueing elbow now and then but I do tend to know when it is about to happen so my back pause gets a bit long sometimes
            During the bracelet wearing stage, I had a car accident that injured my neck and shoulders but I found a great osteopath local to me and a visit to him once every two years corrects that stiffness.
            I wear glasses but have not had the monies or nerve to have the laser eye treatment
            All the best
            DeanH
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

something that can cause this in taller players is due to their stance.

This is because the leg that should be ramrod straight can end up leaning backwards because the player has not bent their other knee enough. Therefore, they are leaning into the shot with their bridge arm, but their stance is taking them in the opposite direction, and this creates tension in the back and shoulders

Comment

Hello ! I am 64 years old and I have played Snooker for 35 years. I am right handed.
                Following a recent intense pain in my left arm that lasted for a couple of weeks I decided to see a doctor. The radiography revealed problems of osteoarthritis in the neck especially ''important'' at c5 - c6 and some other usury damages to other cervical veterbras .
                I now think that the very leaning position of a Snooker player causes an underestimated huge pressure in the neck and can provokes an premature usury of the cervical vertebras.
                Are you someone who have this problem ? What do you yhink about it ?
                I even wonder if Mr. John Virgo would be an perfect example of this kind of this Snooker usury.

Comment

John Virgo was injured while taking part in a Pantomime and I think there would be more cases amongst snooker players if it was a direct cause of neck and spine injuries but I'm sure it can magnify them if playing with an underlying condition. Putting the head back too much while down on the shot can also put unnecessary strain on the neck.
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                    John Virgo was injured while taking part in a Pantomime and I think there would be more cases amongst snooker players if it was a direct cause of neck and spine injuries but I'm sure it can magnify them if playing with an underlying condition. Putting the head back too much while down on the shot can also put unnecessary strain on the neck.
                    Peter Ebdon suffered from neck issues through playing snooker and was the main reason he retired as far as I’m aware .

Comment

I recently went to a coach and mentioned this strain problem. Turned out I'm left eye dominant with a boxer stance with my right leg on the line of aim ( right hander). this hand me straining my neck to get my left eye over onto the line of the cue. I'm now opening my right foot which I'm told will help ease the strain on my nech having to streach onto the cue each shot

Comment

Originally Posted by dub146 View Post
                        I recently went to a coach and mentioned this strain problem. Turned out I'm left eye dominant with a boxer stance with my right leg on the line of aim ( right hander). this hand me straining my neck to get my left eye over onto the line of the cue. I'm now opening my right foot which I'm told will help ease the strain on my nech having to streach onto the cue each shot
                        The right foot on the line of aim is a basic of coaching for a right hander, this foot acts as a pivot point and the left foot is placed in a position that enables ones vision centre to be above the cue on the line of aim.
                        Right eye dominant players who actually use their dominant eye will have a more square stance, both feet level, left eye dominant players who actually use their left eye will have a boxer stance, left foot in front of the right foot.
                        This coach you've seen should be ignored, he's gotten your twisting your neck and shortening your bridge for reasons unknown to him other than the coaching course he took. Being eye dominant doesn't mean one uses ones dominant eye for sighting over the cue, Selby is right eye dominant but sights with his left eye, you might be the opposite, have you checked this ?
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                        X