Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cueing and standing

Hey guys

Ive been playn the game for 11 yrs now been coached a few times but everyone tells me oh your fine with the way ur standing and cueing...

Now the other day old charlie ( we call him yoda of snooker lol) said to me that im cueing on my chest.......... Now is this a big problem or what????

I mean my long potting is awesome... im one of the best long potters in australia but still ppl are saying ill improve more if my cue is not rubbing on my chest... since i was a young lad i think ive done it ... havent taken much notice..... when i try to get the cue away from my chest i feel like a spastic and cant pot..

I wouldn't worry about it - I think a lot of the top pros rub the cue along their chest for extra stability - in fact in Stephen Hendry's book I think he tells you to do it.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it - I think a lot of the top pros rub the cue along their chest for extra stability - in fact in Stephen Hendry's book I think he tells you to do it.

Comment

areet Luke... if you sight the shot well and have an accurate aim, then your chest can act like an anchor. Think of when you reach over the yellow side of the table for a red by the pink; if you're not settled on the correct potting angle, it's difficult to feel that you're in the wrong position. But if you're aiming is correct, then you'll be solid and accurate - if you're not, then you'll be rigid but wrong.

One of our members, Ranen I think, was saying about hitting his chest on the follow through; I guess you might be liable to do the same, but as I tested it out on my stance, you're probably doing that because you're quite straight-on to the shot and in-line with the pot... so not such a bad thing.

There's also a possibility that you might have room for improvement; so I'd've thought your coach would've said somethin if they felt it worth changing.

(PS Spastic is really quite derogatory Luke and offends many people.... incredible that there was a wheelchair in California brought outwith the name on THE SPAZZ... it means wild and crazy apparently)
        Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

well this is a new coach im trying to get to coach me because he is one of the best!

he said fix up my cueing so its not rubbing on my chest and how im standing..... but i dont see why.... my long potting is awesome and the only problem i have is hitting the ball too hard cuz i got no confidents in soft shots heh

Comment

see what you mean Luke; having confidence on 'pocket-pace' shots is essential... as you know, the softer you hit the balls the bigger the pocket becomes and you'll stay at the table longer. Anything you can do to calm the shot down will help. You want to feel that every time you come to the table, you either want to play a safety that puts your opponent in a lot of trouble, or make a decent break. Eitherway, you're not gonna need to play a power shot very often, so softly-softly will pay dividends. I bet you find that now and again people will say, "it was only the pace that kept it out", or a ball will crack he leather at the back and pop out or, you'll be up off the shot to the next pot whereas the red/colour has wobble in and out of the bag? Been there and I've improved myself so that I look for the best and simplest positional shot so that there's less to go wrong and I can stroke the shot rather than lashing. Don't stop me from screwing pots with running side to get back round the black! But many more pots go in because the pace doesn't stop them. (have you seen what kind of spin gets put on a ball when it hits the jaws? really revealing as to why some pots rattle)

How do you compare with other players of the same age? You maybe a great long potter and imagine that you know most of what's to learn; but have you won lots of tournaments, got centuries, score heavily at every visit, have a tight safety game and rarely have a dip in form? Do yo practice the mental side and relish a challenge? Do you concentrate on your own game fully and not get frustrated at the luck other players get? Are you willing to search out whether the coaching advice is something you need to take notice of and work really hard? If you struggle with soft shots then that's a major area you can improve on; some may say a major problem and a hindrance if you can't play soft shots. I could say that if you can master pots where you don't smash the balls round, then you can expect to see a massive improvement in your game.

I've posed quite a few questions here Luke, they're not meant to hamper your progress or intentionally make you worry or doubt yourself, but to help you think like an older player so you improve at the fastest pace possible in the best direction too.

Watching great players and seeing where your shot selection varies from their's would be an ideal coaching session too; either with or without your coach! I've got enough match play and years of snooker under my belt to know that when I watch the Pro's play - live or TV, I can guess what shot they'll play virtually everytime. If you watch and are continually frowning why or how they approach individual shots, then the more you frown the more you need to tweak your own game.... if that makes sense.

You will have a potential your coach can see and your own visions of where you may end up, but only you know how much effort your willing to make and how much trust you put in someone who's coaching you. There are many pieces of advice we hear as we talk about snooker; some are technical, mental approaches, life skills, choices.... everything, but the speed you learn to see what's the best advice or to trust where it's coming from - the more energy and focus you'll have for improving and trusting your own ability so you reach your potential as quick as possible. Having a buddy to compete against who shares your desires will give you targets that put minor thoughts about technique to the back of your mind - you play to win, enjoy, learn, progress, grow. The more elements you have around you which make these things happen - the better.

When you look back on this time of wondering whether you need to change an element of your technique, you want it to be a minor and fleeting episode that you moved on quickly to grappling with important and productive things.... look at Joe Swail's technique and remember that he's got to TWO World Semi's.... and he's virtually deaf too!

It aint easy, but if you love your snooker, it's worth it and it'll give you a mountain of inspiration and a ton of joy- more than the temporary dips and occasional disappointments.
            Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Well thats alot into it!
              thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Working...
              X