Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence - Concentration - Thoughts: mental side of the game

Hello everyone,

So I have got a new cue. I wasn't sure if I should keep it as it was a bit pricy and used. But on day 2 of the cue with me and day 1 with a new tip on I made a nice 56 and knew there and then this was my cue so decided to keep it as it is and move on. So with that settled, I have been playing pretty decent with it now. However, I have another problem bothering me and I shall try to explain it hereunder:

I have been playing in good form lately and my regular mates have started talking about that. They talk to me or talk to themselves and I get to hear that they now fear me and take me on seriously and I am talking about 70 break standard players in my club. There are three top guys and I am not being looked upon as the fourth entry in the club elite But anyway, whenever I am playing with them they give me respect and I have felt that lately I am being put safe by opponents more than usual and I like that respect given that I really am in good touch and playing nice.

However, when I have my chance I would take two blacks and suddenly miss a red or the third or fourth black which I have placed perfectly as a simple shot - when I think about it I can't explain it properly but will try- I sometimes have a feeling that if I miss here my opponent will score high or win and that thoughts screws with my confidence even though people now look up to me and think I will perform there is something of an unknown unseen pressure that I build upon myself inside of me that tells me I can perform or I have doubts over my own ability. Deep down I know I am playing superb but then my confidence isn't there completely and I have doubts on my own ability. That is why I miss. These thoughts then play with my concentration and I suddenly get in to negative thought process no matter how hard I try.

I know very well I can now compete with those top three players any given day but during the game I have their pressure on me (they are good players no doubt and this is natural) but this under-confident feeling is keeping me limited in my gameplay and I need to get rid of it. I need to somehow be able to focus and I have noted I am not looking at the BOB upon striking but perhaps in thin air or the whole ball when striking with such feelings and I miss easy ones. Its like one of these things: either the pressure of playing against top players in my cub or else the pressure of not being able to perform myself and both disturb me. I have reached a certain decent standard but my mind is playing tricks on me and keeping me from playing to my full potential..

for instance, I went in yesterday and had 15 minutes to myself waiting for mates to come in. Did a bit of practice with 5 reds between pink and black and took them on with three blacks and two pinks then did a colour clearance. I felt so so happy deep down and knew I'd perform well but then during the game hmmmmm the aforementioned happened and I couldn't even knock a 30 the best that I did was a 23 and then a simple miss due to lack of concentration due to my thoughts due to whatever it was that it was due to

How to get over it ????? what's happening here??? help !!!
    Last edited by Sidd; 5 December 2019, 06:25 AM.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Short answer: pressure . You wouldn’t miss against a lesser opponent , but when you know the following player is of a good standard this adds pressure to each shot .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

So Neil has nailed it above Sidd, but in an effort to help here is some simple advice from my experience. I am fortunate enough to play with two regular century break makers, when I first played against them I had those silly feelings when I missed that I looked like an idiot and those negative thoughts compound themselves over a session of snooker leading to frustration and more misses!! What you MUST do is get over your high respect for their ability and talent, because its usually your own "fear" of looking stupid in front of players you revere. Yes they are good but so are you right?!! You can make 50 breaks which will definitely give you opportunities to at least nick some frames from them and make you feel you have given a good account of yourself, which to most snooker players is as important as just simply winning.

When you play these guys dont let yourself believe if you miss, they will win the frame. Although that is a distinct possibility it will not happen every time so tell yourself this and take some confidence from it. Remember you play the game for fun because you love it, so DO NOT ever beat yourself up when things dont go to plan. Keep a smile on your face, your time/chances will come, when you are cueing well and at the table potting balls, you own that space at that time. Look confident, stride around the table, they will notice this and possibly miss a few themselves because of it. Remember they are human too!!

Hope this helps in some small way, keep enjoying your snooker with a smile.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Don't think about winning, don't think about losing and most of all don't think about missing; only think about potting balls and making breaks and always remember to look at the target. If it helps write a little note and keep it in your cue case as a reminder of what you need to do which is treat every pot with the same respect and go through the same pre shot routine even when its over the pocket.
        If you pot balls and make breaks the victories will happen.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post

the best that I did was a 23 and then a simple miss due to lack of concentration due to my thoughts due to whatever it was that it was due to

I need to somehow be able to focus and I have noted I am not looking at the BOB upon striking but perhaps in thin air or the whole ball when striking with such feelings and I miss easy ones.
          I think we all suffer to varying degrees with getting in the way of ourselves, I know I do against certain players.

I too try and adopt the lack of respect attitude so I don't give them an additional unnecessary head start but we all have certain players where we need to overcome the voice on your shoulder.

Above you mention lack of concentration and not looking at the back of the ball properly.

If I think I am not truly concentrating (in the zone) and just bringing the tip to the cueball (somewhere), I pause when I bring the tip to the cue ball and almost trying and look between the exact part on the cue ball I am and the the line it draws to the object ball, and I mean exact like you can see the shot.

A little bit like are you aiming at the goal or are you aiming at the 2ft inside the top right hand corner, aim small miss small approach; this helps me focus intricately and distract the voices.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago what I do if I really struggle against certain opponents to really get into match mode, especially when they are clearly better.

I generally pop to the toilet before an important frame or match and convince myself they have just run over my dog and they'll have to snatch this frame from my dead dying hands, but that's just me and I'm not normal............

Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks guys. I shall keep that in mind. But for the time being adjust these thoughts and lack of confidence and concentration I lost my round 1 qualifier match against a tough opponent. He beat me 3-0 he made a break of 60 in frame 1. I missed and my safety remained poor then he got luck on his side two flukes and putting me safe on his misses etc

i feel broken and devastated. He was beaten by w player whom I have beaten before. Hurts

Comment

Makes me stupid in stating this but all this shall shatter my already crumbling confidence. I am a laughing stalk already so I think. I sometimes hate this game but then I love it to bits as well.

im not good and I know so.

Comment

Chin up man! We've all had times like that. Keep going and remember the smile. Most important.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                  He beat me 3-0 he made a break of 60 in frame 1. I missed and my safety remained poor

Poor safety can be a pain id you feel you are struggling. I do quite a few safety practice shots as you can still win dirty when you're either nervous, twitchy or the other guys potting well. I played a league scratch individuals final a while ago and was playing poor as usual, the guy knocks a 58 in first poke, I won that frame as he barely had another shot off the baulk cushion. I knocked a 52 in today and still lost that frame.

A 30 and a 20 odd can get you back in so let the breaks go and if the 1st frames gone from a 60 odd then try and pot a few balls before the next game and find a bit of safety before the next break.

I used to worry about breaks, they only win 1 frame unless you carry them forward in your head.

Comment

Sidd, in the nicest possible way "get a grip of yourself".
                    These guys are better than you but you can still compete, own the table, walk around it with purpose, make it look like you know what you're doing and you might find you actually do.

opponents of a certain level don't really worry, you could make 50 in a frame and they'd still fancy the job (I know I would) and that's just the mindset of better players.
                    What makes them better isn't necessarily technique or ability but the way they are able to apply themselves to the task in hand.

When I play a frame of snooker in the league I want to be drawn against the better players, it should focus your mind Sidd and help you get in the zone.
                    Play at the same tempo you do in practice when you feel you simply cannot miss. Get yourself to a point where you know you're going to pot, not where you half expect a miss.

And remember, you're going to keep struggling until that one day you crack it and beat them, at that point you'll no longer fear them and will be able to relax.
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

Poor safety can be a pain id you feel you are struggling. I do quite a few safety practice shots as you can still win dirty when you're either nervous, twitchy or the other guys potting well. I played a league scratch individuals final a while ago and was playing poor as usual, the guy knocks a 58 in first poke, I won that frame as he barely had another shot off the baulk cushion. I knocked a 52 in today and still lost that frame.

A 30 and a 20 odd can get you back in so let the breaks go and if the 1st frames gone from a 60 odd then try and pot a few balls before the next game and find a bit of safety before the next break.

I used to worry about breaks, they only win 1 frame unless you carry them forward in your head.
                      Yes you are right. I worry too much about breaks and when I am not able to make 30 odds I feel low as if I shouldn't be playing this game. I wasn't a threat I was just plain clumsy. Went under pressure without a major reason and then couldn't even play dirty my safety was poor and there is no excuse for that. Even simple safety shots went bad. I was under pressure that is the main reason. I don't know why but I felt under confident without a particular reason. But this is experience that I will take with myself from this defeat.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                        Sidd, in the nicest possible way "get a grip of yourself".
                        These guys are better than you but you can still compete, own the table, walk around it with purpose, make it look like you know what you're doing and you might find you actually do.

opponents of a certain level don't really worry, you could make 50 in a frame and they'd still fancy the job (I know I would) and that's just the mindset of better players.
                        What makes them better isn't necessarily technique or ability but the way they are able to apply themselves to the task in hand.

When I play a frame of snooker in the league I want to be drawn against the better players, it should focus your mind Sidd and help you get in the zone.
                        Play at the same tempo you do in practice when you feel you simply cannot miss. Get yourself to a point where you know you're going to pot, not where you half expect a miss.

And remember, you're going to keep struggling until that one day you crack it and beat them, at that point you'll no longer fear them and will be able to relax.
                        Thanks for the encouragement... needed that !

You are spot on my dear friend. Now that I recall my walk around the table was pathetic and so lowly ... as for the net time no matter what happens, I shall try to maintain my confidence and stride around the table and try to enjoy the game I ma sure with that in mind I shall comeback strong !!! what I highlighted in red above is what was missing... spot on ! thanks

Comment

Interesting reading the posts, Body language also plays a big part when it's your opponent.

If your opponent is telegraphing to you that they aren't confident, unhappy, unlucky or just plain negative that always help me.

It's up to us to set the scene for opponents, confidence and a cocky stroke van be intimidating.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            Interesting reading the posts, Body language also plays a big part when it's your opponent.

If your opponent is telegraphing to you that they aren't confident, unhappy, unlucky or just plain negative that always help me.

It's up to us to set the scene for opponents, confidence and a cocky stroke van be intimidating.
                            Agreed, I played in our league last night, it's only single frame on a thursday and drew a lad I should beat comfortably. Few of my issues with my game last night;
                            1) couldn't get in the zone
                            2) showed my annoyance at not being able to concentrate/getting a kick when plum in the balls

The above made him grow in confidence and believe he could win (he didn't). It just goes to show how important body language is as shockerz says above. It can literally be the difference
                            between your opponent getting their tail up or being a nervous wreck.
                            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

The above made him grow in confidence and believe he could win (he didn't). It just goes to show how important body language is as shockerz says above. It can literally be the difference
                              between your opponent getting their tail up or being a nervous wreck.
                              I've played terrible this year and lost 1 in 10 in a 1 frame league like yourself.

1 frame snooker isn't the best of formats but shows quickly who can and can't get on with things regardless of the balls breaking bad, the black and blue getting tied up, your opponent getting a fluke and making a few, getting a kick on a decent opportunity, not having a decent day at work, getting drawn last etc etc etc

Attitude for me is massive and even if you are playing like a pillock, they don't know until you show them in your play or in your actions.

If you are regarded as a half decent player then your opponents expectation is that you will pot eventually so never give up to them the "Here we go again" attitude.

I would venture that most people get a little edgy in matches, most people do the same thing wrong that costs them the win and given the same set of circumstances, most people will react the same. The key to improvement is in how you approach what you are not good at after getting in a frame of mind to recognise what's going wrong.

If I lose a frame because I play a certain pot or safety shot regularly poorly guess what the first thing I practice is when back on the table? If I am not in the zone and not serious enough I convince myself the sod has run over my dog, If the guys a great safety player I split the balls more on a break etc

We all suffer at times in our head, the key for me is to recognise the triggers and reasons and work change. We were due on in a Cup final a few years ago and I was playing shocking that week. As was as about as nervous as I had been and the place was freezing so I was literally shaking through nerves. I told my team mate of when we played in an important game of football years and one of the guys was so nervous a team mate slapped him to get his head back in"The now."

As I turned my team mate slapped me! Just before I throttled him he said, "Are you nervous now?"

My point is, distract yourself and do something different to what isn't working for you (and us) or you will get the same result and get stuck. We've all been there and will be again at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X