Playing with 2 different cue actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with 2 different cue actions

I've been mulling this over for a few days now so I thought I'd put it out on the forum to get some opinions.

Three years ago I had a couple of lessons with Del Hill who changed my cue action to dropping the elbow on delivery which transformed my game enormously, before that I was a 30-40 break player, 3 months after my first lesson with him I hit my first ton in a game and started to make regular 50-60 breaks. However, I was plagued with inconsistency, some days I'd struggle to make 30 and even when I was playing well I felt like I never had complete control of the cue ball.

In early December last year I had a coaching session with Alan Bell who I believe has coached some top pros back in the day. He got me cueing lower and more parallel to the shot with a much shorter follow through and a longer bridge, about 11in, and keeping the elbow up. He said I needed leverage at the back so he got me holding the cue further towards the back. It felt like I had the cue ball on a string. A couple of weeks later I entered a comp and had a 50+ and two 60+ breaks which is good for me in competitive play. The only snag I've got: I just can't do power shots with this technique. When I was dropping the elbow on shots like opening the pack off blue or black it seemed effortless. I'm thinking of just dropping the elbow on the power stuff but would this affect my consistency? I would have to consciously decide if I was playing a power shot or not to determine which technique to use!

Looking forward to getting your opinions, thanks in advance!

I should add that when I said a much shorter follow through I mean to my chest. I think I de-accelerate as I know my hand is going to hit my chest.

Comment

There's really only one way to find out (clue, it's not on here)

Comment

I think that you will get yourself into a far greater muddle with 2 cue actions . Are you not able to speak with Alan Bell to tell him your issue ? I'm sure that he could advise you on how to do the power shots .

Alan Bell coached a few back in the day . He was associated with Jimmy White but was never his coach .

Nice to see Alan out and about ...........met him a few years ago when he was coaching an old Pro Player that I used to know .

What club did you play at with him ?
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
          I think that you will get yourself into a far greater muddle with 2 cue actions . Are you not able to speak with Alan Bell to tell him your issue ? I'm sure that he could advise you on how to do the power shots .

Alan Bell coached a few back in the day . He was associated with Jimmy White but was never his coach .

Nice to see Alan out and about ...........met him a few years ago when he was coaching an old Pro Player that I used to know .

What club did you play at with him ?
          Yes I'll probably give him a call at some point. I had 4 hours with him at Fareham snooker club, on a Star table so I was really impressed how he got me controlling the cue ball on it as I normally don't have much control on them!

Comment

Working...
          X