Wet swimming trunks launched my snooker career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet swimming trunks launched my snooker career

A PAIR of wet swimming trunks launched the snooker career of one of the players signed up for a brand-new Berkshire league.

Thanks to a little white lie, David Beakhouse will next week line up with nine other cueists at The Crucible Sports & Social Club in Newbury, which has been selected to host the fortnightly Berkshire Cuestars Snooker League.

“I got my first snooker table by promising my mother I would do swimming at school,” explained Beakhouse.

“To be honest, I didn’t fancy it so I ran my swimming gear under the tap in the toilet. I told my mum I’d been swimming and she rewarded me with my own little table.

“She only found out when my best mate grassed me up!”

The 33-year-old from Reading added: “I’m looking forward to this league starting.”

The Crucible action kicks off on Wednesday, December 21, at 7.30pm. Matches consist of five frames. Players compete off scratch.

One of the early favourites for the inaugural title is Newbury’s Chris Rice.

Remarkably, the 33-year-old won both the Newbury and Reading singles championships in 2010, his first year back after a seven-year break.

Three teenagers hoping to cause an upset are 16-year-old Sam Storey (Newbury) and Reading’s Cameron Holt, 14, and Dean Matthews, 18, who is the reigning Cuestars South of England Under-21 Silver Champion.

Completing the field are Neil Rampton (Beenham, near Reading), Martin Wallace (Reading) and Crucible-based players Craig Marsh, Andy Bolter and Paul Broome.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X