Muddiman: it was a long time coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muddiman: it was a long time coming

THREE-time runner-up Wayne Muddiman said claiming his first tournament win on the Cuestars South of England Seniors (40+) Tour was “a long time coming”.

Muddiman’s seventh outing ended in a 2-1 victory over Martin Wallace (Colours, Reading) in the fourth-leg final at The Crucible Sports & Social Club, Newbury.

He described the tense final frame as “scrappy” and “ding dong”.

The 44-year-old, based at Chandlers Ford Central Club, won all six group-stage matches and saw off rankings leader John Hunter (Salisbury SC) 2-1 in the last four.

“It was a long time coming but I got there in the end,” declared Muddiman.

“It was nice to beat (Hunter) because he beat me in a couple of finals last season. It was good to get one over him.”

Muddiman climbed to second but insisted: “You’ve got to win a few finals to overtake the likes of Nick Birney and John Hunter.

“It was a good day. Now I’ve got that win out of the way, I might be a bit more confident next time I get to the final.”

Wallace, now ranked fifth, had finished runner-up to Muddiman in his round-robin group.

Elsewhere, the other group winner has now lost in the first knockout round in all four events he has entered.

Third-placed Steve Allen, who skippers Southampton’s Super League outfit Totton Recreational Club B, won all five group matches but went down 2-1 to Wallace in the semi-finals.

The fifth of the six legs is at Salisbury Snooker Club on Sunday, March 24.

BREAKS

Martin Wallace: 76.
    Wayne Muddiman: 73, 58, 53.
    John Hunter: 70, 59, 54.
    Gary Hart: 55.

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP POSITIONS

GROUP A: 1st, Wayne Muddiman (Chandlers Ford Central); 2nd, Martin Wallace (Colours, Reading); 3rd, Nick Birney (Liberal Club, High Wycombe); 4th, Neil Herd (Player’s, Westbury); 5th, Keith Beauchamp (Woking SC); 6th, Steve Tonks (Ashlett Club, Fawley); 7th, Nick Miles (Ashlett Club, Fawley).

GROUP B: 1st, Steve Allen (Totton Recreation Club); 2nd, John Hunter (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Alan Grainger (Liberal Club, High Wycombe); 4th, Trevor Thorn (Basingstoke Cons); 5th, Gary Hart (Salisbury SC); 6th, Dharmendra Patel (Crucible, Newbury).

KNOCKOUT

SEMI-FINALS (15 points, £20): Muddiman beat Hunter 2-1, Wallace beat Allen 2-1.

FINAL (25/18 points, £60/£30): Muddiman beat Wallace 2-1.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X