Chappell tribute to outstanding opponent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chappell tribute to outstanding opponent

POOLE potter Bradley Chappell praised the sportsmanship of his “outstanding” final opponent after claiming back-to-back winner’s trophies on a regional snooker circuit.

The 19-year-old followed up his success at the fifth leg of the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold Tour at Chandler’s Ford last month with a hard-fought victory at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

Speaking after edging Ollie Parsons 3-2 in the final, Chappell likened the home player to Welsh Open champion Ronnie O’Sullivan.

“I could not believe what he was doing against me,” he declared.

“He was playing very close to Ronnie O’Sullivan, just strolling round the table very quickly and potting anything he went for. He looked unbeatable.

“I went 2-1 down and felt like I was down and out and had no way back.”

Chappell squared the match on the pink following a bad safety shot from Parsons but, struggling with back pain, he requested an interval before the decider.

“I must have just slept funny,” he said. “I asked for a five-minute break and Ollie kindly accepted.

“I came back and felt like a different player. I can’t credit Ollie any more for the way he played. He was outstanding.”

Chappell, who is based at the Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth, had defeated Sonnie O’Sullivan (Liberal Club, High Wycombe) 3-1 in the semi-finals.

“After not playing him for six years, I didn’t know what to expect,” he said.

“I managed to pull together some form and beat him 3-1. I had to change from a potting game to a lot of safety play to keep him from not potting and I took my chances when I could.”

Just three points separate the top three with two events left. Rankings leader Mark Lloyd (Stoke SC, Gosport) was beaten 3-1 by Parsons in the last-four.

Chappell and Lloyd’s clubmate James Budd are joint second.

The seventh leg of eight is at Fareham Snooker Club on Sunday, April 6.

BREAKS

Ollie Parsons: 52.
    Bradley Chappell: 46, 41.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Mark Lloyd (Stoke SC, Gosport); 2nd, Bradley Chappell (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Daniel Knox (Woking SC); 4th, Joshua Lee (Jesters, Swindon); 5th, Sam Storey (Crucible, Newbury).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Sonnie O’Sullivan (Liberal Club, High Wycombe); 2nd, Ollie Parsons (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, James Budd (Stoke SC, Gosport); 4th, Cameron Holt (Liberal Club, High Wycombe).

SEMI-FINALS (£5, 15 points): Parsons beat Lloyd 3-1, Chappell beat O’Sullivan 3-1.

FINAL (£15/£10, 25/18 points): Chappell beat Parsons 3-2.

Safety game sees Petty to second Silver win

PROLIFIC break-builder Austen Petty reverted to a safety game to claim his second tournament win on the trot on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Silver Tour.

The 15-year-old from Boyatt Wood fought back from 1-0 down to Gloucester potter Lewis Parnham and prevailed 2-1 on the final black to clinch the sixth leg at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

Petty recently posted a personal best break of 62 and knocked in a 50 in the previous day’s Open Series final at Chandler’s Ford Snooker Club.

But the Crestwood College pupil has been developing his matchplay skills since signing for Super League outfit Chandlers Ford Central Club A.

“It was quite hard because (Parham) didn’t leave me much on so I kept playing safe, hoping for a good chance,” he said.

Petty had accounted for two of his Chandler’s Ford clubmates in the previous rounds. He beat Dan Sykes 2-1 in the semi-finals but said his toughest battle was from 1-0 down to see off Mickey Joyce 2-1 in the last-eight.

“He’s such a good potter,” explained Petty. “He can easily go 20 points up in a few minutes. I had to try to stick with him.”

It was 15-year-old Sykes’ third semi-final defeat this season.

Ten-year-old Joyce (Basingstoke) compiled a personal best 56 break against Callum Browne (Westbury) in the group stages.

Petty, who won the 2012 Bronze Tour championship play-off, is now targeting the Silver version in June.

Remarkably, Chandler’s Ford SC players have collected the Silver and Bronze winners’ trophies at the last three events.

With two legs to play, Petty and Joyce are joint second in the rankings, seven points behind rankings leader Nathan Farmer (Stoke SC, Gosport), who was knocked out 2-0 in the quarter-finals by Parnham.

It was the first time that Parham had progressed from the group stages since making his Silver debut at his home club, the South West Snooker Academy, in March 2013.

BREAKS

Mickey Joyce: 56.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 46.
    Nathan Farmer: 40.
    Joe Kitchen: 32.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Dan Sykes (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Matt Gillon (Stoke SC, Gosport); 3rd, Mike Trigg (Chandler’s Ford SC); 4th, Canberk Benning (Jesters, Swindon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Austen Petty (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Lewis Parnham (SWSA, Gloucester); 3rd, Jasmine Bolsover (Woking SC); 4th, Bradley Leishman (Stoke SC, Gosport).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Nathan Farmer (Stoke SC, Gosport); 2nd, Mickey Joyce (Chandler’s Ford SC); 3rd, Joe Kitchen (Stoke SC, Gosport); 4th, Callum Browne (Player’s, Westbury).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP D: 1st, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize SC, Bournemouth); 2nd, Jamie Wilson (Copnor SC, Portsmouth); 3rd, Karan Chadda (Chandler’s Ford SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Sykes beat Wilson 2-0, Petty beat Joyce 2-1, Parnham beat Farmer 2-0, Cowdroy beat Gillon 2-1.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Petty beat Sykes 2-1, Parnham beat Cowdroy 2-1.

FINAL (25/18 points): Petty beat Parnham 2-1.

Beebe closes in on Bronze title

EASTLEIGH’S budding star Luke Beebe had four reasons to be cheerful after a remarkable two days on the green baize.

A third successive tournament win on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Bronze Tour circuit virtually secured the 12-year-old a first regional title.

Beebe overcame fellow Chandler’s Ford Snooker Club member Connor Benzey 2-0 in the final of the sixth leg at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

Making only his second appearance on the tour, Benzey, the 12-year-old son of the 2001 Southampton Town Champion Mark Benzey, lost the second frame on the black after leading by 40 points.

Beebe, now 30 points ahead of second-placed Ollie Gibbs (Gosport), is hot favourite to claim the rankings title with two events to play in Fareham, next month, and Salisbury, in May.

The previous day, he defeated defending champion Mickey Joyce (Basingstoke) on a re-spotted black to win the one frame needed to clinch a third Eastleigh & District Under-13 Premier crown.

Two hours later, he secured runners-up spot in the Under-18 Premier on frames won behind runaway champion Austen Petty.

And in the afternoon, the Crestwood College pupil cued up for the biggest pay day of his two-year career.

Beebe pocketed £250 for finishing top of the 26-week Open Series at his home club.

“It was a good day,” admitted the youngster, who is now targeting a fourth Under-13 title before his 13th birthday in July.

Dad Mark said: “It was a fantastic weekend.”

Elsewhere, Lee Fitzpatrick (Totton Recreation Club) reached his second semi-final in only his second Cuestars appearance, losing 2-0 to Beebe.

Former rankings leader Ollie Gibbs (Stoke SC, Gosport), winner of two legs this season, was unlucky to lose out on second place in his group after a three-way black-ball play-off with Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC) and Sam Warren (Chandler’s Ford SC).

Harry Cook (Woking SC) reached the knockout for the first time in his fourth appearance on the circuit but went out 2-0 to Benzey.

And many congratulations must also go to Adam Cowdroy, younger brother of Silver Tour player Bradley.

Adam (Greenbaize, Bournemouth) qualified for the knockout for the first time in six outings since making his Bronze debut at Salisbury SC on October 6, 2013.

He recorded great wins in his group against Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC) and Ben Tillison (Copnor SC, Portsmouth) to finish behind Beebe but went out 2-1 to leg-two winner Ed James (Woking SC). Adam is now tenth in the rankings.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Connor Benzey (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Callum McDonald (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Liam Ashman (Player’s, Westbury); 4th, Ben Hatch (Southampton); 5th, Connor Shaw (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Edward James (Woking SC); 2nd, Sam Warren (Chandler’s Ford SC); 3rd, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC); 4th, Ollie Gibbs (Stoke SC, Gosport).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Luke Beebe (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Adam Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC); 4th, Ben Tillison (Copnor SC, Portsmouth).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP D: 1st, Lee Fitzpatrick (Totton Recreation Club); 2nd, Harry Cook (Woking SC); 3rd, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Ally Pollard (Salisbury SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Benzey beat Cook 2-0, James beat Cowdroy 2-1, Beebe beat Warren 2-0, Fitzpatrick beat McDonald 2-1.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Beebe beat Fitzpatrick 2-0, Benzey beat James 2-1.

FINAL (25/18 points): Beebe beat Benzey 2-0.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

LAST-16: Canberk Benning (Jesters, Swindon) beat Liam Ashman (Player’s, Westbury), Cameron Holt (Liberal Club, High Wycombe) beat Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC), Ollie Gibbs (Stoke SC, Gosport) beat Ben Tillison (Copnor SC, Portsmouth), Bradley Leishman (Stoke SC, Gosport) beat Ally Pollard (Salisbury SC), Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth) beat Ben Hatch (Southampton), Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC) beat Connor Shaw (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

QUARTER-FINALS: Holt beat Benning, James Budd (Stoke SC, Gosport) beat Gibbs, Callum Browne (Player’s, Westbury) beat Leishman, Kidner beat Reed.

SEMI-FINALS: Holt beat Budd, Browne beat Kidner.

FINAL: Browne beat Holt 2-1.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X