Chappell’s tribute to 85-year-old guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chappell’s tribute to 85-year-old guru

A DORSET snooker player won a bizarre frame in a tournament without his opponent playing a single shot.

Brad Chappell went on to claim the Summer Classic for players aged 21 and under at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

And the 20-year-old from Poole immediately paid tribute to an 85-year-old “legend” whom he has worked with for two years.

Coach and guru Roy Chisholm, who has been involved in the game for a staggering 71 years, has recently written a book, The UNKNOWN Secrets Of Snooker.

Chappell described the book as “outstanding” and added: “It explains things that coaches don’t.

“He has explained secrets to me that have helped my game a massive amount. The man’s a snooker legend.”

In the round-robin group stages of the Greenbaize event, Chappell beat Anthony Rice (Fordingbridge) 2-1, Reece King (Bournemouth) 2-0 and Kaine Petty (Fordingbridge) 2-0.

He wrapped up the second frame against Petty by potting a red from the break-off shot and embarking on a run of 87.

“I played a safety break but have found a way to pot one off the break,” he explained. “I have been practising this so the white still goes back to baulk.

“I had the opportunity to roll in behind the brown but I thought I had to take it on and made an 87 from it. I was chuffed it paid off.”

Chappell then accounted for his clubmate Rikki Moore 2-0 in the last-four and pocketed £100 after seeing off “bogey player” James Budd (Fareham) 3-1 in the final.

Last season, Chappell won the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold Tour rankings title and received his trophy from professional Joe Perry.

He thanked mum Wendy, dad Colin and Branksome & Upper Parkstone Conservative Club for their support.

The UNKNOWN Secrets Of Snooker by Roy Chisholm and David Penman is available as an eBook with accompanying video on Amazon or via www.snookersecrets.com/. Free tips can be viewed on YouTube.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

And where can one find the UNKNOWN Secrets of Snooker? Would sure like to get a copy of that.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I would guess it can be found by clicking the link in his post Terry

Comment

Google it.
        The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

It's on amazon.ca for around $36 in Kindle edition. Gonna get it today and see what it's all about.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            It's on amazon.ca for around $36 in Kindle edition. Gonna get it today and see what it's all about.
            Used the link here and it's a lot cheaper than amazon.ca at $38(CAN). It's 9.99GBP which is around $20(CAN)
            Terry Davidson

Comment

I look forward to a review

Comment

You not given up looking for secrets Tel?

but if you find any pass em on

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  I look forward to a review
                  It's only 10quid for goodness sake.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    You not given up looking for secrets Tel?

but if you find any pass em on
                    To be honest I am not sure there are any UNKNOWN secrets to snooker, but just in case I just have to check it out. At my age I need every edge I can get to stay competitive with these young 'hard bellies' as Lee Trevino used to say.

I've ordered it and they say it should be ready to download in 24hrs. Not sure why as Amazon delivers right away but it's $38 at amazon and only $21 through the link and heaven known I'm a cheap b*astard!
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Secrets to snooker oh Christ heard it all now. How about practice and dedication

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                        Secrets to snooker oh Christ heard it all now. How about practice and dedication
                        Don't tell everyone Leo, practice and dedication is the biggest secret on this forum. Everyone looking for a shortcut to becoming a better player. Eat, sleep, pot, repeat lol

Comment

I have read the book and watched the video and all I can say is if there are players out there who believe in using side on EVERY shot (helping side) and also shifting the upper body when in the address position then this is definitely the book for you. If you check my posts on here you will see I advocate the least use of side and only when a cushion is involved, however there are those that swear by it. I also advocate staying still when in the address position.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

I don't like to be ultra critical but having seen a few of the videos on youtube, I can honestly say its probably the worst advice from a so called coach I've ever seen.

I can't help but think this is just a quick money making con for crap club players looking for a quick fix to get good. As leo said, there are no secrets to snooker, just hard work and practice. Wouldn't mind but this guy only demonstrates straight forward pots which any novice can pot really, bet he's never had a ton in his life yet is giving advice like he's a former world champ!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                              I don't like to be ultra critical but having seen a few of the videos on youtube, I can honestly say its probably the worst advice from a so called coach I've ever seen.

I can't help but think this is just a quick money making con for crap club players looking for a quick fix to get good. As leo said, there are no secrets to snooker, just hard work and practice. Wouldn't mind but this guy only demonstrates straight forward pots which any novice can pot really, bet he's never had a ton in his life yet is giving advice like he's a former world champ!
                              They have asked me to review the book but I'm holding off as he's supposed to have another video 'How To Cue Like a Pro' but I couldn't find it on youtube. I have asked them to send the link.

So far I've found one point I agree with which is 'pushing through the cueball' and I agree the demonstration video is soft shots of the blue into the middle which anyone can make. They also say before you attempt this method you should have a consistently straight cue deliver which to my mind is the hardest of all to learn. If you have that aiming and potting is no mystery at all.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X