Five out of six for Talmondt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five out of six for Talmondt

PORTSMOUTH’S newly-crowned singles champion has won his fifth tournament out of six on the Cuestars South of England Seniors (40+) Tour.

Taxi driver Mike Talmondt overtook Matt Ford at the top of the rankings after an up-and-down day at Salisbury Snooker Club.

The 43-year-old pocketed £100 following a 2-0 victory over Southampton Super League player Paul Lawrence.

First-time finalist Lawrence, who beat ex-pro Talmondt in the round-robin to top his group, failed to pot a colour after a red in the first frame but only lost it on the green. However, the second was wrapped up in 11 minutes.

“It was a very scrappy first frame,” admitted Talmondt. “It wasn’t great.”

The defending champion kicked off his rollercoaster day with an 82 in his first frame against Martin Wallace (Reading). He chalked up another 82 in his third match against Paul Bateman (Swindon) but, following a lengthy pause, lost 2-0 to Lawrence.

“I started well today,” he said. “Then I had a two-hour wait, went back on the table and couldn’t pot a ball.”

He then recovered from 1-0 down to account for Steve Ashton (Salisbury) 2-1 in the quarter-finals before seeing off three-time champion John Hunter (Andover) 2-0 in the last-four.

“I think I scored ten points in the first frame (against Ashton),” said Talmondt. “It wasn’t pretty.

“I played all right against John. Nothing outstanding, but I was potting quite solid.

“I’ve won five out of the last six tournaments so I’m happy with that.”

Elsewhere, the group of death took a long time to die.

Fawley accountant Nick Miles lost an epic two-and-a-half-hour best-of-three match to Ray Mears (Aldershot) but was undefeated in the remainder of his games and qualified for the knockout for only the second time in 23 outings over nearly four years.

Any two from five could have made the quarter-finals with the final two matches to play. Ashton and Miles progressed at the expense of Mears, Martin Luker (Swindon) and Stephen Hills (Northfleet).

Talmondt is seven points clear of shock group-stage casualty Ford (Bracknell) at the top of the rankings. Lawrence and beaten semi-finalist Wayne Muddiman, also from Southampton, are ten points further back in joint fourth.

The third leg of seven attracted a 22-strong field. Next up is Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon, on Sunday, January 31.

BREAKS

Mike Talmondt: 82, 82, 44, 42, 40.
    Richard Swaffield: 71.
    Matt Ford: 64, 48, 48.
    John Hunter: 47, 47, 45, 41.
    Paul Lawrence: 45.
    Wayne Muddiman: 45.
    Chris Stocker: 41.

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP POSITIONS

GROUP A: 1st, Paul Lawrence (Park Gate RBL, Southampton); 2nd, Mike Talmondt (Copnor SC, Portsmouth); 3rd, Martin Wallace (Crowthorne RBL); 4th, Paul Bateman (Crucible, Newbury); 5th, Simon Peacock (Salisbury SC); 6th, Neil Herd (Player’s, Westbury).

GROUP B: 1st, Wayne Muddiman (Chandlers Ford Central); 2nd, John Hunter (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Matt Ford (Sunninghill Comrades Club, Ascot); 4th, Chris Stocker (Sunninghill Comrades Club, Ascot); 5th, Martin Hill (Salisbury SC); 6th, Richard Arnold (Salisbury SC).

GROUP C: 1st, Trevor Thorn (Basingstoke Conservative Club); 2nd, Richard Swaffield (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Neil Carroll (Chandler’s Ford SC); 4th, David Stewart (Chandler’s Ford SC); 5th, Peter Chin (Woking SC).

GROUP D: 1st, Steve Ashton (Salisbury SC); 2nd, Nick Miles (Ashlett Club, Fawley); 3rd, Martin Luker (Jesters, Swindon); 4th, Stephen Hills (Traders, Northfleet); 5th, Ray Mears (Sovereign SC, Farnborough).

KNOCKOUT RESULTS

QUARTER-FINALS (£10, 12 points): Lawrence 2 Miles 1, Muddiman 2 Swaffield 1, Hunter 2 Thorn 0, Talmondt 2 Ashton 1.

SEMI-FINALS (£20, 15 points): Talmondt 2 Hunter 0, Lawrence 2 Muddiman 0.

FINAL (£100/£40, 25/18 points): Talmondt 2 Lawrence 0.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X