First Gold Tour win at the age of 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gold Tour win at the age of 13

BASINGSTOKE’S phenomenal young snooker player Mickey Joyce has collected his first winner’s trophy on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Gold Tour.

The historic 2-1 victory over Callum Browne in the final of the fifth leg came nearly six years after he made his Bronze Tour debut at the age of seven.

Browne, who won the corresponding tournament last year, broke the back of the opening frame at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth, with a run of 36.

Joyce wrapped up a low-scoring second on the brown and left his opponent from Trowbridge needing snookers with two reds left in the decider.

“It feels good to do it,” said the 13-year-old. “I had the momentum (in the third frame) and I knew I was going to win that.”

Reflecting on his 2-1 last-four success over rankings leader and English Under-18 Champion Mark Lloyd (Gosport), Joyce added: “It was a good win against Mark. We both didn’t play well and he didn’t deserve to lose.”

Joyce made his Cuestars debut six weeks before his eighth birthday. The Bell’s Decor-sponsored event in Bournemouth was his 40th ranking tournament.

He won the Bronze Tour championship play-off in 2013 and the Silver Tour rankings title the following year. The furthest he had previously got on the Gold Tour was the semi-finals in Coulsdon last month.

Two years ago this month, at the age of 11, Joyce knocked in his highest Cuestars break of 73 in his third Gold Tour event in Woking.

The teenager thanked his sponsors, The Academy in Basingstoke and Surrey-based Falcon Pools, and his mum Mel and dad Eamon for their support over the years.

Anthony Rice (Fordingbridge) recorded the day’s highest break of 73 in the group stages but dropped one place to third in the rankings. Lloyd leads Joyce by 16 points. Browne climbed to fourth and Steven Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) to fifth.

Home player Bradley Cowdroy moved up to sixth. The 14-year-old finished second in his round-robin group to Lloyd, edged Oliver Sykes (Chandler’s Ford) 2-1 on the final black in the last-eight but went out 2-0 to Browne in the semi-finals.

The sixth leg of ten is at Top Spot Snooker Club, Havant, on Sunday, February 5.

For more information about Poole-based decorating contractor Bell’s Decor, go to www.bellsdecor.co.uk.

BREAKS

Anthony Rice: 73, 54, 44.
    Mark Lloyd: 63, 50, 41.
    Callum Browne: 55.
    Olly Gibbs: 54, 45.
    Connor Benzey: 53.
    Mickey Joyce: 51.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 50.
    Steven Hughes: 46.
    Oliver Sykes: 40.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Anthony Rice (Salisbury SC); 2nd, Mickey Joyce (Chandler’s Ford SC); 3rd, Oliver Sykes (Chandler’s Ford SC); 4th, Steven Hughes (Chandler’s Ford SC); 5th, Dan Sykes (Chandler’s Ford SC); 6th, Arron Smith (Selsey RBL, Chichester).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Mark Lloyd (Stoke SC, Gosport); 2nd, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Connor Benzey (Chandler’s Ford SC); 4th, Callum Browne (Player’s, Westbury); 5th, Mike Trigg (Chandler’s Ford SC); 6th, Olly Gibbs (Chandler’s Ford SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Browne 2 Rice 1, Cowdroy 2 O Sykes 1, Joyce 2 Benzey 1, Lloyd 2 Hughes 0.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Browne 2 Cowdroy 0, Joyce 2 Lloyd 1.

FINAL (£60/£30, 25/18 points): Joyce 2 Browne 1.

Pringle: my three ingredients for success

CHARLIE Pringle reckons three aspects of his game helped secure his second winner’s trophy on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Silver Tour.

The 15-year-old from Chandler’s Ford moved to within seven points of top spot after beating rankings leader Ryan Hughes 2-1 from 1-0 down in the final of the fifth leg.

Pringle leveled on the black and produced a 34 clearance to counter his 14-year-old clubmate’s 30 break in the decider at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

He admitted it was a “difficult” contest but added: “It felt good to beat him because I’ve lost to him in the past in the final.

“I’m taking the positives out of it: clearances, being able to battle from behind and consistency throughout the day.”

Pringle, who increased his high break to 68 in the English Under-16 Championship qualifier in Clacton last November, had lost 2-1 to Hughes in the group stages but still qualified for the knockout in first place.

“I had a tough group but managed to come out on top,” he said.

The top two have now won all five tournaments this season. Hughes prevailed in Woking, Salisbury and Coulsdon while Pringle added the Bell’s Decor-sponsored event in Bournemouth to his success in Swindon in October.

Bowen Zhu, also from Chandler’s Ford, topped the second group and went out 2-1 to Hughes in the last-four. Pringle beat Drew Hampshire (Swindon) 2-0 in the second semi.

The sixth leg of ten is at Top Spot Snooker Club, Havant, on Sunday, February 5.

For more information about Poole-based decorating contractor Bell’s Decor, go to www.bellsdecor.co.uk.

BREAKS

Ryan Hughes: 40, 30.
    Charlie Pringle: 34, 30.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Charlie Pringle (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Ryan Hughes (Chandler’s Ford SC); 3rd, David O’Callaghan (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Ally Pollard (Salisbury SC); 5th, Evan Plummer (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Bowen Zhu (Chandler’s Ford SC); 2nd, Drew Hampshire (147, Swindon); 3rd, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC); 5th, Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC).

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Pringle 2 Hampshire 0, Hughes 2 Zhu 1.

FINAL (25/18 points): Pringle 2 Hughes 1.

A moment to cherish for Riley

IT WAS a magic moment that a 12-year-old snooker player from Wiltshire had been dreaming about for 15 months.

Riley Ellis proudly held aloft his first winner’s trophy on the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Bronze Tour after his success in the fifth leg.

It was journey that the young potter from Lyneham had embarked upon following an article in the Swindon Advertiser in May, 2015.

The story was spotted online by Southampton-based World Snooker coach Tim Dunkley, who contacted the newspaper and invited Ellis to compete on the Cuestars circuit.

Playing in his 13th tournament, Ellis edged home player Adam Cowdroy 2-1 in the final at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

First-time finalist Cowdroy took the opening frame, went in-off the black in the next but was chasing snookers on the blue in the decider.

Ellis had knocked out travelling companion and rankings leader Shane Kearns 2-1 in the last-four after topping his five-man round-robin group.

He said: “I was really impressed that I managed to overcome some good players.

“Before I even came here, I wanted to win. It was hard work but definitely worth it

“It was really important (beating Kearns) because it’s been my target for a long time. I always lose to him but today I overcame that.”

Ellis, who is based at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon, along with Kearns, climbed to second place in the rankings following the Bell’s Decor-sponsored event.

Dunkley said: “I’ve been working towards this moment with Riley for 18 months.

“All the hard work and heartache that has gone before was worth it.

“It takes courage to be able to cross the winning line for the first time. It’s a step into the unknown for most of the lads. But I was thrilled to watch him take that step in Bournemouth.

“Julian and Jackie, his dad and mum, must be bursting with pride.”

Earlier, there was a dramatic finish to one of the groups. Essex lad Thomas Saunders lost his first two matches and needed to beat Ellis and Chloe White, winner of the third leg in Swindon, to force a three-way play-off for the second qualifying spot.

Saunders produced the goods against the high-flying pair and then won the play-off against White (Havant) and her brother Callum before going out 2-1 to Cowdroy in the semi-finals.

BREAKS

Shane Kearns: 30.
    Thomas Saunders: 21.
    Riley Ellis: 20.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Riley Ellis (Jesters, Swindon); 2nd, Thomas Saunders (Stepfield SC, Witham, Essex); 3rd, Chloe White (Copnor SC, Portsmouth); 4th, Callum White (Copnor SC, Portsmouth); 5th, Harry Joyce (Chandler’s Ford SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Adam Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 2nd, Shane Kearns (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon); 4th, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport); 5th, Josh Reeves (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Ellis 2 Kearns 1, Cowdroy 2 Saunders 1.

FINAL (25/18 points): Ellis 2 Cowdroy 1.

Plate victory consolation for high-flying Chloe

CHLOE White warmed up for the Eden Women’s Masters at Cueball Derby this weekend with victory in the Plate competition at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

The 15-year-old from Havant suffered a shock group-stage exit in the fifth leg of the Cuestars South of England Under-21 Bronze Tour sponsored by Bells Decor.

Essex lad Thomas Saunders lost his first two matches and needed to beat Riley Ellis, the eventual tournament winner, and White, winner of the third leg in Swindon, to force a three-way play-off for the second qualifying spot.

Saunders produced the goods against the high-flying pair and then won a dramatic play-off against White and her brother Callum.

White bounced back in the Plate to beat Ally Pollard in the final.

BREAKS

Will Forster: 22.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

PRELIMS: Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth) beat Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC), David O’Callaghan (Greenbaize, Bournemouth) beat Callum White (Copnor SC, Portsmouth).

QUARTER-FINALS: Chloe White (Copnor SC, Portsmouth) beat Kidner, O’Callaghan beat Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC), Ally Pollard (Salisbury SC) beat Harry Joyce (Chandler’s Ford SC), Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport) beat Josh Reeves (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

SEMI-FINALS: Chloe White beat O’Callaghan, Pollard beat Forster.

FINAL: Chloe White beat Pollard.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X