Three out of four for championship favourite Sean Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three out of four for championship favourite Sean Harvey

SURREY snooker star Sean Harvey has now won three of the four legs he has entered this season on the Cuestars Dafasnooker Championship Tour.

But following his success in Bournemouth, the 34-year-old from Longcross insisted it was the worst he had ever played in a tournament which he won.

Harvey wrapped up a 2-1 victory over Pascal Richard (Gosport) with the day’s highest break of 95.

And he has been installed as favourite to clinch the £500 first prize in the Cuestars Championship for the top-32 ranked players at Waterlooville Sports Bar on Sunday, May 12.

Harvey, who finished the season in third place despite competing in only half of the events, pocketed £120 for clinching the eighth and final leg at Greenbaize Snooker Club.

He said: “It was probably the worst I’ve played for many years.

“Until the semi-final, I didn’t make a 50 (break) in 13 frames. I managed to just do enough and crawl over the line.

“It was probably the worst I’ve played and won - ever.

“I hit a little bit of form in that last frame. I potted a couple of pressure pots to keep the break going otherwise I was leaving him perfect. It was good to get over the line convincingly.”

Mark Lloyd (Gosport), who lost 2-0 to Harvey in the last-four, was crowned rankings champion when his Portsmouth league teammate Richard knocked out title contender Ryan Mears (Aldershot) 2-0 at the same stage.

Harvey, who competes with Mears in the Byfleet & District Billiards & Snooker League, added: “I was going to try against whomever I was playing because I was more concerned about me winning than whatever anyone else was doing.

“I beat Mark and did Ryan a favour but unfortunately he lost.

“It was a shame they both couldn’t get to the final and play for it outright.”

The 24 runners for the event sponsored by Snooker Hub returned 22 breaks of 50 or more.

An early contender for the highest of the day was a 71 by 13-year-old Oliver Sykes (Chandler’s Ford) in his first match against Martin Wallace (Wokingham).

Anthony Rice (Fordingbridge) then made an 80 against Andrew Darken (Feltham) but was on the receiving end of an 81 by Mears in the last-eight before Harvey took the honours in the final.

Richard, who had lost his opening frame of the day against Connor Benzey (Eastleigh), made it 15 winning frames on the bounce by taking the lead in the final.

For the latest news from the amateur game, visit www.snookerhub.co.uk.

BREAKS

Sean Harvey: 95, 51.
    Ryan Mears: 81, 63, 52.
    Anthony Rice: 80, 50.
    Mark Lloyd: 77, 69.
    Oliver Sykes: 71.
    Nick Jennings: 70, 58, 51.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 64, 51.
    Connor Benzey: 58.
    Martin Wallace: 55, 53.
    Jamie Wilson: 51, 51.
    Steven Hughes: 51.
    Anthony Cutler: 50.

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP POSITIONS

GROUP A: 1st, Mark Lloyd (Stoke SC, Gosport); 2nd, Nick Jennings (Churchills, Eastleigh); 3rd, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Anthony Cutler (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 5th, Mark Ridout (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 6th, David Rice (Salisbury SC).

GROUP B: 1st, Ryan Mears (Sovereign, Farnborough); 2nd, Elliott Weston (Top Spot, Havant); 3rd, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Martin Wallace (Crucible, Newbury); 5th, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 6th, James Cullen (Woking SC).

GROUP C: 1st, Pascal Richard (Mayfair, Gosport); 2nd, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Kevin Impett (Salisbury SC); 5th, Darren Johnson (Petersfield Bowls & Snooker Club); 6th, George Heatley (Woking SC).

GROUP D: 1st, Sean Harvey (Staines & District Conservative Club); 2nd, Anthony Rice (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Dan Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 5th, Andrew Darken (Chertsey SSRN Club); 6th, Ray Mears (Sovereign, Farnborough).

KNOCKOUT RESULTS

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Lloyd 2-0 Benzey, Harvey 2-0 Weston, Ryan Mears 2-0 A Rice, Richard 2-0 Jennings.

SEMI-FINALS (£30, 15 points): Harvey 2-0 Lloyd, Richard 2-0 Ryan Mears.

FINAL (£120/£60, 25/18 points): Harvey 2-1 Richard.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X