Oliver Sykes youngest double winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver Sykes youngest double winner

OLIVER Sykes demonstrated majority beyond his tender years to complete the Cuestars Under-21 Gold Tour double.

The youngest rankings winner earnt another place in the record books by clinching the end-of-season Championship in impressive style at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

Sykes is nearly a year younger than Chandlers Ford clubmate Jordan Winbourne was when he clinched the double in 2009/10.

The 13-year-old beat Jamie Wilson (Havant) 3-2 from 2-0 down in the final to claim the £100 first prize.

Wilson, 15, broke down on a run of 38 in the decider and Sykes cleared to the black with a 60.

It means Wilson, who defeated Sykes in the group stages and former rankings champion Bradley Cowdroy (Bournemouth) 3-0 in the semi-finals, is still chasing a first Cuestars tournament win eight-and-a-half years after making his debut

Sykes overcame Connor Benzey (Eastleigh) 3-1 in the last-four and reckons a season on the EASB Premier Junior Tour has made a massive difference to his game.

The left-hander said: “It’s definitely sharpened me up.

“It’s incredible how much I’ve progressed this year.

“I played well against Connor. You don’t want to leave him in because he’s such a good player and an amazing break builder.

“And as soon as Jamie left me in, I just tried to clear them up, just give it a go.”

To cap a remarkable day, Sykes was the only player to beat guest professional Robert Milkins.

The world number 36 said: “The kid I lost to, what a fantastic player. Brilliant.

“I was watching him, not only against me, but afterwards. His potting is phenomenal. He played such a good frame against me.”

Benzey recorded the day’s highest break of 113 in his first group-stage match against Mickey Joyce (Basingstoke).

For more information about event sponsor Jesters SC, visit www.jesterssnooker.co.uk.

BREAKS

Connor Benzey: 113.
    Marcos Dayao: 70.
    Oliver Sykes: 60, 55.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 46, 44.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Marcos Dayao (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 4th, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 5th, Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Mickey Joyce (Academy, Basingstoke); 4th, Aristos Pampouris (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 5th, Dan Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC).

SEMI-FINALS: O Sykes 3-1 Benzey, Wilson 3-0 Cowdroy.

FINAL (£100/£25): O Sykes 3-2 Wilson.

Second championship title for Samuel Laxton

SAMUEL Laxton returned to the scene of his greatest triumph – and repeated the feat.

The Portsmouth potter clinched the Cuestars Under-21 Silver Tour Championship a year after winning the Bronze title.

And again it was at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

For the second year running, the 14-year-old dug deep into his reserves and discovered the resolve that has taken him over so many winning lines.

Laxton overcame Richard Hillgrove (Southend) 2-0 in the final.

He took the first frame on the pink and the second on the black.

Earlier, he had beaten his Waterlooville Sports Bar clubmate Zak Truscott 2-0 in the last-eight and rankings winner Shane Kearns (Swindon) 2-1 in the semis.

Jesters is certainly a happy hunting ground for the teenager.

It was there that he won his only Bronze Tour rankings final in October, 2017 and reached his only Silver Tour rankings final last November.

Explaining why, he said: “This club is just amazing.

“There’s lots of tables and you don’t have to wait long for your next game.

“You’re just playing all the time, which is what I like.”

The following day, Laxton wrapped up his first Monday Junior Snooker League title at his home club.

He finished level on points with Jamie Wilson but had won two frames more over the 20-week season.

Truscott edged Owen Jenkins by the same margin for third place.

Harry Wilson finished 11 points clear of Ryan Wilson at the top of Division 2.

Laxton heads to Leeds at the weekend for the last-16 stage of the English Under-14 Championship.

For more information about event sponsor Jesters SC, visit www.jesterssnooker.co.uk.

BREAKS

Kaine Petty: 33.
    Riley Ellis: 31.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Richard Hillgrove (Basildon SC); 2nd, Shane Kearns (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Mason Wilson (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Zak Truscott (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Riley Ellis (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Lucas Fidow (Jesters, Swindon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Louie Leighton (Basildon SC); 2nd, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC).

QUARTER-FINALS: Laxton 2-0 Truscott, Kearns 2-1 Leighton, Hillgrove 2-1 Ellis, Scott 2-0 Reed.

SEMI-FINALS: Hillgrove 2-1 Scott, Laxton 2-1 Kearns.

FINAL: Laxton 2-0 Hillgrove.

Comeback kid Donovan secures Bronze Championship

HE’S the comeback kid of Somers Town!

Snooker starlet John Donovan was twice forced to battle back from 1-0 down to clinch the Cuestars Under-21 Bronze Tour Championship.

The 13-year-old overcame rankings winner Owen Jenkins (Havant) 2-1 in the last-four of the end-of-season finale at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

Taking up the story, he said: “I thought I’d lost it because he won the first frame and was 20 points up in the second. But I came back and then won the third frame.”

And he again fought back from 1-0 down to prevail 2-1 against Thomas Sharp (Portsmouth) in the final.

Sharp had defeated Dylan Smith (Tunbridge Wells) 2-1 in his semi-final. Smith was the only player to beat Donovan in the group stages.

Jenkins recorded the day’s highest break of 48 in his 2-1 quarter-final victory over Freddie Turner (Andover).

Remarkably, Donovan has won all three Cuestars events he has entered this season. He also collected the winner’s trophies in Havant and Coulsdon.

On Saturday, he is in Leeds for the last-16 knockout stage of the English Under-14 Championship

It is hoped that the teenager, who is based at the Kings Cross Hurricane Room, will spread his wings next season and compete on the EASB Regional Junior Tour South.

His World Snooker coach John Woods said: “We’ll see how he does at the under-14s. Then, over the summer, he’s going to put a lot of practice in.”

BREAKS

Owen Jenkins: 48, 32, 26, 22, 22.
    Thomas Sharp: 23.
    Dylan Smith: 21, 20, 20.
    John Donovan: 21.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Harry Wyatt (Chandlers Ford SC); joint 3rd, George Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar), Will Kempson (Salisbury SC) and Jake Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Katie Griffin (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC); 4th, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC); 5th, Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Dylan Smith (Victoria SC, Tunbridge Wells); 2nd, John Donovan (Hurricane Room Kings Cross); joint 3rd, Taylor Elliott (147, Swindon), William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC) and Eddie Mason (Salisbury SC).

QUARTER-FINALS: Jenkins 2-1 Turner, Donovan 2-0 Griffin, T Sharp 2-0 Laxton, Smith 2-0 Wyatt.

SEMI-FINALS: Donovan 2-1 Jenkins, T Sharp 2-1 Smith.

FINAL: Donovan 2-1 T Sharp.

Ryan Hughes is Cuestars Six-Reds champion

GOLD Tour player Ryan Hughes claimed the Six-Reds Championship during finals day at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

The 17-year-old from Chandler’s Ford overcame Londoner Aristos Pampouris 2-0 in the final of the shortened game.

Hughes, who completed the Bronze Tour double in 2015/16 and won the Silver rankings the following season, had failed to progress from his Gold group which contained both finalists.

RESULTS

PRELIMS: Aristos Pampouris (London) beat Taylor Elliott (147, Swindon), Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC) beat William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC), Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC), Dan Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC) beat Marcos Dayao (Hurricane Room Kings Cross), Jake Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon).

QUARTER-FINALS: Pampouris beat Petty, Chloe White beat Sykes, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC) beat Sharp, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat Taylor Elliott (147, Swindon).

SEMI-FINALS: Pampouris 2-0 Chloe White, Hughes 2-0 Callum White.

FINAL: Hughes 2-0 Pampouris.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X