Jamie ends eight-year wait for winner’s trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie ends eight-year wait for winner’s trophy

JAMIE Wilson’s eight-year quest for a Cuestars winner’s trophy has ended.

The 16-year-old from Havant admitted it was a “shock to the system” after breaking his duck in south London.

He crossed the winning line in style in the fourth leg of the Under-21 Gold Tour at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon.

It was his 83rd ranking event across four different Cuestars circuits.

Intelligent snookers helped Wilson take the opening frame of the final against former rankings champion Bradley Cowdroy (Bournemouth) on one of the club’s professional standard Star tables.

The talented teenage had often let slip a lead in his five previous finals. But not this time.

Given a second bite of the cherry in the next, he compiled a match-winning 72 break to collect the ?100 prize money.

Wilson had always believed the win would eventually come but was visibly taken aback at the enormity of what he had achieved.

He said: “I’m absolutely over the moon. I’m so happy about it.

“It’s quite a shock to the system to actually win one.”

Reflecting on the break, the England international, who practises on his own Star table at Waterlooville Sports Bar, added: “I was focused; I was relaxed; I was in my comfort zone.”

Wilson made his Cuestars debut in Salisbury on October 17, 2011, at the age of seven.

In the semi-finals, reigning champion Oliver Sykes (Chandler’s Ford) lost 2-1 to Wilson and Connor Benzey (Eastleigh) was knocked out 2-1 by Cowdroy.

Chandlers Ford Snooker Club hosts the fifth legs of ten on Sunday, January 5.

For more information about the event sponsors, Frames Sports Bar and Mr Gold, visit www.framessportsbar.co.uk and contact Mr Gold via js.gold@hotmail.co.uk or ring 07930 355677.

BREAKS

Jamie Wilson: 72.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 61.
    Connor Benzey: 59, 52, 52.
    Elliott Weston: 55.
    Oliver Sykes: 53, 52.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 2nd, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Marcos Dayao (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 4th, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon); 3rd, Dan Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Elliott Weston (Top Spot, Havant); 2nd, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Mickey Joyce (Academy, Basingstoke); 4th, Richard Hillgrove (Basildon SC); 5th, Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Cowdroy 2-1 D Sykes, Benzey 2-1 Sullivan, O Sykes 2-0 Joyce, Wilson 2-1 Weston.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Cowdroy 2-1 Benzey, Wilson 2-1 O Sykes.

FINAL (?100/?25, 25/18 points): Wilson 2-0 Cowdroy.

Whaley flying in south London

KINGS Cross potter Lee Whaley admitted he was “flying” after winning his third snooker tournament of the season and beating his highest break twice.

The 17-year-old ended a remarkable day in south London by securing promotion to the top tier after just four legs of the Cuestars Under-21 Silver Tour.

In an all-Hurricane Room final at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon, Whaley overcame John Donovan 2-0.

He took the first frame with a personal best break of 75.

Earlier, he passed the Gold Tour threshold with a run of 64 against debutant Aeron Moore (Haywards Heath) in the round-robin group stages.

Whaley reckons a three-day week studying BTEC science at Westminster Kingsway College is the key to his green-baize success.

“I get a chance to practise more on a Friday,” he explained. “It’s paying off.”

Reflecting on the day, he added: “I did well. I was flying.”

Meanwhile, another new high break was recorded by Mason Wilson (Basingstoke), who posted a 56 in his group-stage victory over Alex El-Deweiny (Brighton).

Rankings leader Whaley has a massive 30-point margin over another clubmate, second-placed Elliott Johnson, who lost 2-0 to Donovan in the last four.

Donovan, who won last season’s Bronze Tour Championship, made a Silver final for the first time and moved up to fourth.

The consistent Samuel Laxton (Portsmouth) is third after a third successive semi-final appearance. He lost 2-0 to Whaley.

Three days later, Laxton didn’t know whether to laugh or cry during the Wednesday Junior Snooker League at Waterlooville Sports Bar.

Towards the end of his fourth straight defeat, the 14-year-old’s tip flew off. He picked up a battered old Riley club cue with a broken butt for his fifth and final frame against Jake Sharp – and compiled a new high break of 46.

Chandlers Ford Snooker Club hosts the fifth leg of ten on Sunday, January 5.

For more information about the event sponsors, Frames Sports Bar and Mr Gold, visit www.framessportsbar.co.uk and contact Mr Gold via js.gold@hotmail.co.uk or ring 07930 355677.

BREAKS

Lee Whaley: 75, 64, 37, 37.
    Mason Wilson: 56.
    Simon Bubb: 42.
    Riley Ellis: 35.
    Alex El-Deweiny: 32.
    Will Forster: 31.
    Oliver Cooper: 30.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Lee Whaley (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 2nd, John Donovan (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 3rd, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Aeron Moore (Castle SC, Brighton).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Elliott Johnson (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 2nd, Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport); 4th, Oliver Cooper (Frames, Coulsdon); 5th, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Riley Ellis (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Simon Bubb (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 4th, Mason Wilson (Academy, Basingstoke); 5th, Alex El-Deweiny (Castle SC, Brighton).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Whaley 2-0 Forster, Laxton 2-1 Jenkins, Donovan 2-0 Ellis, Johnson 2-1 Bubb.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Whaley 2-0 Laxton, Donovan 2-0 Johnson.

FINAL (25/18 points): Whaley 2-0 Donovan.

Harry goes batty after third Bronze win

HARRY ‘The Potter’ Wyatt earned himself a new cricket bat after collecting a third successive winner’s trophy on a junior snooker circuit.

The nine-year-old sports all-rounder overcame his Chandlers Ford clubmate Caden Read in south London to clinch the fourth leg of the Cuestars Under-21 Bronze Tour.

Wyatt wrapped up a 2-0 victory by sinking the black with the rest to end a tight second frame.

He leads the rankings by a massive 32 points following the event at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon.

Paying tribute to his opponent, Wyatt said: “I was really happy for my clubmate Caden who played brilliant all day to reach the final.

“With Thomas Devine getting to the semi-finals as well, it was a great day for team Chandlers Ford and it shows how we are all improving by pushing each other in our Saturday under-13 league.”

Turning to his own performance, Wyatt added: “I played well and was determined to not lose a single frame.

“I’m so pleased to have won my third Cuestars competition in a row.

“My dad (Chris) promised me a new cricket bat if I could win three over the season and I have done it four tournaments in.”

Meanwhile, Read celebrated his sponsorship deal with Southampton-based Installation Contract Engineers by reaching his first final.

In fact, the nine-year-old hadn’t progressed from the group stages in his three previous outings on the junior circuit.

Devine, in his first semi-final, went down 2-1 to Read.

Earlier, Jaydon Elliott (Swindon) knocked in his highest break of 23 in his group-stage victory over Devine. Ben Good (Haywards Heath) made the quarter-finals on his debut. And Ryan Wilson (Waterlooville) qualified for the knockout for the first time in his seventh outing.

Group-stage casualty George Laxton (Portsmouth) retains second place in the rankings, one point ahead of the consistent Daniel Walter (Portsmouth) who reached his third semi-final of the season. Elliott is fourth.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Katie Griffin (Swindon) who made her World Women’s Snooker tour debut in the Eden Masters.

Chandlers Ford Snooker Club hosts the fifth leg of ten on Sunday, January 5.

BREAKS

Harry Wyatt: 25, 22.
    Jaydon Elliott 23.
    Thomas Devine: 23.
    Daniel Walter: 21.
    Thomas McEvoy: 21.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Harry Wyatt (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Ben Good (Castle SC, Brighton); 3rd, William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Tyler Mack (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Morgan Gearing (Castle SC, Brighton).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Ryan Kneller (Waterlooville Sports Bar; 2nd, Ryan Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, George Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC); 5th, Callum Truelove (Castle SC, Brighton).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Thomas Devine (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Aaron Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon); 4th, Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport); 5th, Will Kempson (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP D: 1st, Daniel Walter (Mayfair, Gosport); 2nd, Caden Read (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Zain Jeraj (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 4th, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC); 5th, Arthur McCahill (Castle SC, Brighton); 6th, Katie Griffin (Jesters, Swindon).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Wyatt 2-0 A Wilson, D Walter 2-0 R Wilson, Read 2-0 Kneller, Devine 2-1 Good.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Read 2-1 Devine, Wyatt 2-0 D Walter.

FINAL (25/18 points): Wyatt 2-0 Read.

Syked out Hughes claims Plate

GOLD Tour player Steven Hughes overcame Swindon youngster Jaydon Elliott in the Plate final during the fourth legs of the Cuestars Under-21 Gold, Silver and Bronze Tours at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon.

The 18-year-old had been knocked out of his group by brothers Oliver and Dan Sykes.

Earlier, Elliott compiled a new high break of 23 in his Bronze group victory over Thomas Devine (Chandler’s Ford).

The whole event attracted 48 entries.

Chandlers Ford Snooker Club hosts the fifth legs of ten on Sunday, January 5.

BREAKS

Marcos Dayao: 43.
    Steven Hughes: 31.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

LAST-16: Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC) beat Callum Truelove (Castle SC, Brighton), Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC) beat Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar), Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport) beat Morgan Gearing (Castle SC, Brighton), Marcos Dayao (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross) beat Tyler Mack (Waterlooville Sports Bar), Richard Hillgrove (Basildon SC) beat Arthur McCahill (Castle SC, Brighton), Mason Wilson (Academy, Basingstoke) beat William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC). Byes: Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon), Zain Jeraj (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross).

QUARTER-FINALS: Hughes beat McEvoy, Dayao beat Walter, Wilson beat Hillgrove, Elliott beat Jeraj.

SEMI-FINALS: Hughes beat Dayao, Elliott beat Wilson.

FINAL: Hughes beat Elliott.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    Last edited by snookerdad; 5 December 2019, 02:15 PM.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Great write up as per usual Tim . And was nice to meet you , albeit very briefly . As you were inundated with kids giving you their results every few minutes !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Yes, sorry, Neil. The junior events can be a tad busy.
      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

I don’t know how you do it , with that many age groups . Do you get to see many of the matches ?

I thought that the tables were playing really well . It was a good time to have the event the week after the Eden Masters , as every table had been re-stretched . Hopefully all the young lads and lasses enjoyed the tables .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I've been to a lot of Tim's and the Cuestars events and also had coaching from him a few times.

He has grown the sport locally to a great level and has certainly had a major input into turning out some fine players of all ages and he takes it in his stride no matter how many noisy kids or noisy adults there are at an event, he's a breath of fresh air.

If you ever need a cueing MOT then drop him a line if he can fit you in as you will always come away with some understandable information about your game.

As regards Jamie, he keeps breaking new ground and it's gonna be interesting to see how far he can go. With Tim's experience and virtually living in the local snooker club on a Star table he's got a great chance and there are lots of decent local players pushing him I'm sure.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            I've been to a lot of Tim's and the Cuestars events and also had coaching from him a few times.

He has grown the sport locally to a great level and has certainly had a major input into turning out some fine players of all ages and he takes it in his stride no matter how many noisy kids or noisy adults there are at an event, he's a breath of fresh air.

If you ever need a cueing MOT then drop him a line if he can fit you in as you will always come away with some understandable information about your game.

As regards Jamie, he keeps breaking new ground and it's gonna be interesting to see how far he can go. With Tim's experience and virtually living in the local snooker club on a Star table he's got a great chance and there are lots of decent local players pushing him I'm sure.
            ^seconded, cracking bloke!
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
            X