Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson regains lead after Bournemouth win

Wilson regains lead after Bournemouth win

JAMIE Wilson proved winning can become a habit by regaining top spot on the Cuestars Under-21 Gold Tour.

The 16-year-old from Havant beat Londoner Aristos Pampouris 2-0 in the final of the sixth leg at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

He pocketed ?100 prize money and earlier recorded the day’s highest break of 95 against O’Shay Scott (Eastleigh) in the round-robin group stages.

It followed his maiden Cuestars tournament win in Coulsdon in December after an eight-year wait.

Wilson missed the fifth leg in Chandler’s Ford last month because he was competing in the World Snooker Federation Junior Open in Malta.

The talented teenager reckons he is playing much better since he broke his duck.

He said: “I’m getting used to (winning) now. I didn’t feel as much pressure in the final as I did in the other finals.”

Wilson defeated defending rankings champion Oliver Sykes (Chandler’s Ford) 2-0 in the last-eight after qualifying from his group.

He then compiled a 65 break to wrap up a 2-0 last-four victory over the 2017/18 champion Bradley Cowdroy (Bournemouth).

And he made a 56 from 35 points down to secure the second frame against first-time finalist Pampouris.

“I don’t think I’d have been able to do that in the first or second event,” added Wilson.

Meanwhile, Steven Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) is joint fifth after a second semi-final appearance of the season. The 18-year-old lost 2-1 to Pampouris.

And Cowdroy edged Callum Browne (Trowbridge) 2-1 on a re-spotted black in the last-eight.

To find out more about event sponsor Greenbaize Snooker Club, go to www.ambassadorsnooker.com.

Fareham Snooker Club hosts the seventh leg of ten on Sunday, February 23.

BREAKS

Jamie Wilson: 95, 65, 56, 44.
    Connor Benzey: 77, 53.
    Aristos Pampouris: 71.
    Oliver Sykes: 70, 51.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 70, 45.
    Steven Hughes: 53.
    Ryan Hughes: 44.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 2nd, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Aristos Pampouris (Legends, Leytonstone); 4th, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Shane Kearns (Jesters, Swindon); 4th, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Steven Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Callum Browne (Player’s, Westbury); 4th, Mickey Joyce (Academy, Basingstoke); 5th, Dan Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC).

QUARTER-FINALS: (12 points): Cowdroy 2-1 Browne, Wilson 2-0 O Sykes, Pampouris 2-1 Benzey, S Hughes 2-0 R Hughes.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Wilson 2-0 Cowdroy, Pampouris 2-1 S Hughes.

FINAL (?100/?25, 25/18 points): Wilson 2-0 Pampouris.

Three reasons for Whaley’s success

KINGS Cross potter Lee Whaley reckons there are three reasons why “something just clicked” at the start of his phenomenal season.

The 17-year-old continued his staggering run of success on the Cuestars Under-21 Silver Tour at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

Whaley overcome Riley Ellis (Wiltshire) 2-0 in the final of the sixth leg to collect his fifth winner’s trophy of the campaign.

But he insisted none of this would have been possible without the support of his family, extra practice time now he’s started college and the assistance of “very good coach” of five years, John Woods, who is based at the Hurricane Room, Kings Cross.

He said: “Something just clicked, I don’t know what it was.

“All the practice I’m doing is paying off. My family helped me as well, making me practise a bit more, and John’s been with me all the way through.”

Champion-elect Whaley, who is also joint third on the EPSB Under-20 Regional Development Tour South after reaching the final of the fourth leg last month in Coulsdon, has opened up a massive 58-point lead over clubmate Elliott Johnson.

Samuel Laxton (Portsmouth) is one point further back in third.

Ellis moved up to fourth after collecting his second runner-up trophy of the season.

The 15-year-old survived a play-off for one of the two best third positions and then dispatched Laxton and Johnson in the knockout, both by 2-0 scorelines.

Adam Cowdroy (Bournemouth) made the last-eight in his first event back on the Silver Tour.

To find out more about event sponsor Greenbaize Snooker Club, go to www.ambassadorsnooker.com.

BREAKS

Lee Whaley: 40.
    John Donovan: 38.
    Connor Wollen: 37.
    Elliott Johnson: 35, 30.
    Nat Kidner: 32.
    Will Forster: 30.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Lee Whaley (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 2nd, Nat Kidner (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, Riley Ellis (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Mason Wilson (Academy, Basingstoke).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, David O’Callaghan (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 3rd, John Donovan (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 4th, Oliver Cooper (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Elliott Johnson (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 2nd, Connor Wollen (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Adam Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 4th, Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Whaley 2-0 Cowdroy, O’Callaghan 2-0 Wollen, Ellis 2-0 Laxton, Johnson 2-0 Kidner.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Whaley 2-0 O’Callaghan, Ellis 2-0 Johnson.

FINAL (25/18 points): Whaley 2-0 Ellis.

Champion-elect Wyatt collects fourth winner’s trophy

HARRY ‘The Potter’ Wyatt has one hand on the Cuestars Under-21 Bronze Tour rankings title with four of the ten legs still remaining.

The ten-year-old from Ferndown collected his fourth winner’s trophy of the season at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

Following his 2-0 victory over first-time finalist Aaron Wilson (Waterlooville), Wyatt paid tribute to his fellow members of the new generation of exciting young players based at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

He said: “I was not playing my best and was really put under pressure by my clubmates Lennon Savage and Thomas Devine who both played brilliant against me in the quarters and semi.

“Aaron played solid in his first final but I think my experience saw me over the line.”

And he added: “I’m really pleased to have won the Bournemouth leg as I practise at the club, making it my second home club.”

Wyatt finished runner-up in his round-robin group after losing to Jake Sharp (Portsmouth). He then fought back from 1-0 down to overcome nine-year-old Savage 2-1 and beat Devine, ten, 2-0 in a match of high-quality potting and safety play.

It was the first time Savage had qualified for a knockout and the second time that Devine had fallen one victory short of a maiden final.

Rankings leader Wyatt has a massive 54-point advantage over George Laxton (Portsmouth). Caden Read (Chandler’s Ford) is joint third with Daniel Walter (Portsmouth).

Chris Bennett (Totton) compiled a new high break of 23 in his group victory over Ryan Kneller (Waterlooville).

Nine-year-old Zain Jeraj (London) qualified from his group for the first time – via a three-way play-off – beat leg-five winner Read 2-1 in the last-eight but saw his excellent run end in a 2-1 semi-final defeat by Wilson, who had never before progressed past the quarter-finals.

BREAKS

Aaron Wilson: 25.
    Chris Bennett: 23.
    Lennon Savage: 22.
    Zain Jeraj: 20.
    William Thomson: 20.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Jake Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Harry Wyatt (Chandlers Ford SC); joint 3rd, Ryan Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar) & Tyler Mack (Waterlooville Sports Bar) & Ryan Hurley (Greenbaize, Bournemouth).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC); 2nd, Zain Jeraj (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross); 3rd, George Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Katie Griffin (Jesters, Swindon); 5th, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Lennon Savage (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Aaron Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport); 4th, Eddie Mason (Salisbury SC); 5th, Daniel Walter (Mayfair, Gosport).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP D: 1st, Caden Read (Chandlers Ford SC); 2nd, Thomas Devine (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon); 5th, Chris Bennett (Chandlers Ford SC); 6th, Ryan Kneller (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): A Wilson 2-0 Sharp, Jeraj 2-1 Read, Devine 2-0 Turner, Wyatt 2-1 Savage.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): A Wilson 2-1 Jeraj, Wyatt, 2-0 Devine.

FINAL (25/18 points): Wyatt 2-0 A Wilson.

Plate success for Donovan in Bournemouth

SILVER Tour player John Donovan, conceding a 14-point handicap start, defeated Bronze high-flier Jaydon Elliott (Swindon) in the Plate final at Greenbaize Snooker Club, Bournemouth.

Londoner Donovan overcame debutant Ryan Hurley (Poole), Eddie Mason (Salisbury) and seven-year-old William Thomson (Eastleigh) in the early rounds of the competition for group-stage casualties.

Despite the M27 closure, the sixth legs of the Cuestars Under-21 Gold, Silver and Bronze Tours attracted 47 runners across the three events.

Fareham Snooker Club hosts the seventh legs of ten on Sunday, February 23.

BREAKS

John Donovan: 30, 24.
    William Thomson: 21.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

LAST-16: Daniel Walter (Mayfair, Gosport) beat Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar), William Thomson (Chandlers Ford SC) beat Ryan Kneller (Waterlooville Sports Bar), John Donovan (Hurricane Room, Kings Cross) beat Ryan Hurley (Greenbaize, Bournemouth). Byes: Eddie Mason (Salisbury SC), Chris Bennett (Chandlers Ford SC), Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport), Jaydon Elliott (147, Swindon), Tyler Mack (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

QUARTER-FINALS: Thomson beat D Walter, Donovan beat Mason, Elliott beat S Walter, Mack beat Bennett.

SEMI-FINALS: Donovan beat Thomson, Elliott beat Mack.

FINAL: Donovan beat Elliott.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)

http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X