Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member advice!

Hello everyone!

New here and have recently got back into the game at the age if 42. I really want to push my game to the next level. For me, that is achieving a first half century.

Could anyone please recommend a good training book that they have found useful?

I have my first coaching session in a few weeks but I thought a book would be good to have also.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

I have Frank Callen, Steve Davis and a couple of others but TBH I think they’re a bit old fashioned now. I love the Barton Snooker videos and of course you can’t beat a bit of one to one coaching by someone who knows what they’re talking about. Finding the right practice routine and putting in the hours on the table will get you there. It’s “only” 3 reds 2 blacks 1 pink and a colours clearance lol.

Comment

Cheers Nifty. Steve Barton is the guy I'm booked in with! I'll stear clear of the books for now!
      Just got to get the black to yellow sorted and ill be laughing 🤣

Comment

Good luck with Steve. Let us know how you get on. It’s hard work (at your age lol) trying to introduce what you learn from a coach into your natural game. Stick with it and it will pay dividends. My game improved after a few lessons but it was frustrating trying to remember to do the simple things I had been told, eg, holding the cue a bit further down the butt. After a few pots I found myself reverting to my old method. Grrrrr.

Comment

Steve is a very good coach, you’ll probably need a few sessions to properly get to grips with it.

Are you close to Birmingham?

Comment

Cheers guys. Yes Steve. I'm in Coventry

Comment

I'll definitely let you know how I get on. I feel like I've destroyed my natural game trying to tweak things so I need to get back to basics!

Comment

Originally Posted by Jimmyssparecue View Post
                Hello fellow member, please say hello to steve for me! not seen him for a long time..
                BTW i'm based in Nuneaton but work in Coventry so could always be around for friendly advice
                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Nice one Tom. Do you play at Atack?

Comment

Ok cool! Quite local to me then (& Tom).

Bit of advice if I may! When I got back into playing I threw myself into some tournaments, this was a real eye opener for me, you learn a lot from playing competitively, it really highlights strengths and weaknesses in your game that would never happen through practice! So yeah, once you feel your technique is taking shape, enter some tournaments! The Atack in Nuneaton have monthly comps as does Stratford upon-Avon, there are probably lots of other clubs too but those are the ones I’ve been entering since my return to snooker a couple of years ago!

Good luck with the coaching!

Comment

Just occasionally now mate, I used to play there all the time until I stumbled across a local bowls club with a brilliant table in for £1 an hour, myself and Danger Steve are playing a comp at the Atack on sunday though.
                      Drop me a message if you fancy a knock sometime, always happy to help fellow players out if I can.
                      I'm a decent local player, making centuries fairly regularly

Comment

Cheers Steve. I'll do exactly that! Severely lacking in people to play but I guess that will come the more I practice down the club and enter the comps. I didn't even realise there was a club in Stratford!

Comment

Cheers Steve. I'll do exactly that! Severely lacking in people to play but I guess that will come the more I practice down the club and enter the comps. I didn't even realise there was a club in Stratford!
                          Where do you play from mate?

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            Just occasionally now mate, I used to play there all the time until I stumbled across a local bowls club with a brilliant table in for £1 an hour, myself and Danger Steve are playing a comp at the Atack on sunday though.
                            Drop me a message if you fancy a knock sometime, always happy to help fellow players out if I can.
                            I'm a decent local player, making centuries fairly regularly
                            Cheers Tom. Give me a few months and it would he great to have a knock. I was hoping to go Sunday but something came up!

Good luck to you both!

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Where do you play from mate?
                              Seeing as the Arches closed down, I was at Rileys which is just so so bad in every sense of the word so I've been heading over to atack the last few weeks. Much better atmosphere!

Comment

Working...
                              X