Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Building

Hi,
    I have a highest break of 37 and regularaly break into the 20+ break area but only have managed to get breaks above 30, three times. Is there anyone out there who can help aid/make my breaks more consistant and help me achive a higher break?

I also have a full size snooker table at home so practise at any time is not a problem.

Regards, Jack

Let me ask you a question first. When your break gets over do you miss a shot or are you normally out of position? I mean do you make the shot easy for yourself or does it get difficult?
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

sometimes both,
      both mostly i think its position!

Comment

Ok. So you basically need to improve on your positional play. Do you practise the line up? or any such thing?

Comment

I have played snooker just a few times (I play pool because it's much easier and more popular in Bulgaria) and I've got a break of 16 lol (2 reds with 2 blacks). My problem is the potting, but the positioning is also hard. When I try to go for position sometimes I don't pot the ball and I can't get control on the smaller cue ball. That's my problem and I don't think I can get better by playing so rarely but who knows...
          Does pool help anyway???
          Long live Sir Rodney Walker!!!

Comment

Smaller cue ball? Is the white ball smaller then the remaining? When you go for pot and position confir the pot. Dont worry about the position.

Comment

Hi to practice the line up is good advice it speeds the learning process up regarding position and touch, also its a good idea to keep a diary of your breaks every time you play this may help motivate you because you want to put good entries into it, quite a few players count their break as they go along you may find at first its difficult but once you are used to doing it I believe it will again help to wards increasing your snooker breaks.

Comment

Originally Posted by ranen
                Smaller cue ball? Is the white ball smaller then the remaining? When you go for pot and position confir the pot. Dont worry about the position.
                Hmm I meant, the snooker cue ball is smaller than the pool cue ball and that's my problem, because I play much more pool than snooker...

Comment

You obviously play 9 ball pool as the balls are a little bigger and heavier than snooker. Its very difficult to expect to improve at the game when you are so used to pool. 9 ball is very easy because the pockets are larger and obviously the table is smaller, in snooker you need to have a much better technique and straighter cueing action. I would advise you to just stick to pool, you will never improve your snooker game by playing pool.

Comment

I obviously can't explain the situation good enough.
                    So, I play 8 ball pool, because I can't have a snooker table at home and playing snooker for fun at the club is too expensive for me and I really don't do any kind of serious training. But snooker is my favourite cueing sport and if I could play it well it should have been great for me.
                    So I hope I'll someday be able to buy a snooker table at home and get a lil' bit better!

Comment

You may play 8 ball pool but it's impossible to have a pool cue ball bigger than a snooker cueball.
                      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Wait a minute - pool balls are bigger than snooker balls, aren't they.
                        I'm pretty sure they are 5mm longer in diametre and their mass is greater. So it ain't impossible, it's obvious

Comment

Originally Posted by Stu4ko
                          Wait a minute - pool balls are bigger than snooker balls, aren't they.
                          I'm pretty sure they are 5mm longer in diametre and their mass is greater. So it ain't impossible, it's obvious
                          I'm sorry, but 8 pool balls are smaller than snooker balls! This is obvious! I mean, if else, we wouldn't use 9-9.5mm tips to play snooker. We would stay at 8-8.5mm, like in 8 ball.

Snooker balls :
                          The balls shall be of an approved composition and shall each have a diameter of 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.05mm [worldsnooker.com]

Eight ball pool :
                          Reds and yellows must have a diameter of 50.8mm and the cue ball has a diameter of 48mm...[French 8 ball Federation website]

Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

9 ball balls are bigger, i think that's what he was talking about.

Comment

He probably means what he says. In most countries pool is played on American style tables (7ft-9ft) with American style pool balls, whether it's 8-ball, 9-ball, or anything else. These balls are indeed bigger than snooker balls (by 4.7mm, give or take), and they're played with 12mm-14mm tips and cues like broom handles.

UK and apparently French 8-ball is played on smaller tables with small red and yellow balls, but that's not what most of the world knows as 8-ball.

Stu4ko - I've got a (6ft) pool table at home too and I'm at the point where my cueing isn't getting any better because the pots are just too easy. So to practice, I partially block the pockets with a few bits of wood to the point where the balls only just fit. It's a poor substitute for actually getting onto a snooker table but it stops you developing any lazy habits that come from not needing to concentrate on every shot. You might also want to get a few snooker balls so that you're practicing with the right size.

Comment

Working...
                              X