Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum

Hi,

I'm not new to Snooker but I'm very much a novice.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get involved in playing regularly?

I don't have a Snooker partner at the moment where I live, I was wondering if you join a club is it easy to find people to play with?

It depends on the club, the atmosphere can vary quite a bit, although to be honest at most places I go to people tend to keep to themselves, and come with friends from work etc. If you see people practising on their own though you can always ask and quite often they'll be happy to give you a game.

Some of the better run places organise regular tournaments or leagues that you can learn a lot from even if you're not up to winning matches yet. Proper competition (even if you're a real beginner) is always great fun.

Where abouts are you? We might have a member nearby, you never know.

Welcome to the forum by the way

Comment

Welcome

I often play on my own because none of my friends play.
      You play a long slow deadweight red to a corner pocket. As it approaches the pocket, a kamikaze woodlouse crawls out from under the cushion and makes its way across the table, conflicting with the path of the red precisely at the point the red gets there. The red, needless to say, veers off course, and the future of the woodlouse is uncertain. - The Statman

Comment

Hi p_coops...

Welcome to the board - hopefully a member near you can point you in the right direction

Curtis

Comment

Hi and welcome Coops

Where in UK are you? As Robert has said, it would be ideal if your local club run a league or regular tournaments, that way you get to play snooker and meet people at the same time
          Mon the Rocket

Comment

hi

best advice i can think of for you would be to go to your local club and become a member, and practise on your own a few times to get used to the place.

after that, id ask the barman/lady to introduce you to some of the better players in the club and once introduced ask them if they will give you some pointers/coaching in practise matches. come to an arrangement where you pay for the table time, or a bigger split, and also where you will get a start in each frame, so that they will have a bigger challenge playing a novice, and they will be happier at paying less for the light.

once you play the clubs better players, youll probably get to know others who come over to chat with them etc.....im sure youll make new friends like that, as well as keeping the better players as friends, if you dont beat them often. ;-)

also, when suggesting a start, suggest 30 point start per frame, and if you win a frame the start goes down 5 in the next frame. if you lose a frame, it goes up by 5. that way, your real handicap start against that player should come to light after a half a dozen frames or so.....

ATB

Comment

Working...
            X